Section 59 in The Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation Act 2019
In this Part, unless the context otherwise requires,--
(a) “associate member” means a member associated with the Delimitation Commission under section 60;
(b) “Delimitation Commission” means the Delimitation Commission to be constituted under section 3 of the Delimitation Act, 2002 (33 of 2002); and thereafter by any law made by the Parliament.
(c) “Election Commission” means the Election Commission appointed by the President under article 324 of the Constitution of India;
(d) “latest census figures” mean the census figures ascertained at the latest census of which the finally published figures are available;
(e) “Parliamentary Constituency” means a constituency provided by law for the purpose of elections to the House of the People from Union territory of Jammu and Kashmir and Union territory of Ladakh.
(f) “Assembly Constituency” means a constituency provided by law for the purpose of elections to the Legislative Assembly.
Title: Delimitation of constituencies
(1) Without prejudice to sub-sections (3) of section 14 of this Act, the number of seats in the Legislative Assembly of Union territory of Jammu and Kashmir shall be increased from 107 to 114, and delimitation of the constituencies may be determined by the Election Commission in the manner hereinafter provided--
(a) the number of seats to be reserved for the Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes in the Legislative Assembly, having regard to the relevant provisions of the Constitution;
(b) the assembly constituencies into which the Union territory shall be divided, the extent of each of such constituencies and in which of them seats shall be reserved for the Scheduled Castes or for the Scheduled Tribes; and
(c) the adjustments in the boundaries and description of the extent of the parliamentary constituencies in each Union territory that may be necessary or expedient.
(2) In determining the matters referred to in clauses (b) and (c) of sub-section (1), the Election Commission shall have regard to the following provisions, namely:--
(a) all the constituencies shall be single-member constituencies;
(b) all constituencies shall, as far as practicable, be geographically compact areas, and in delimiting them, regard shall be had to physical features, existing boundaries of administrative units, facilities of communication and conveniences to the public; and
(c) constituencies in which seats are reserved for the Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes shall, as far as practicable, be located in areas where the proportion of their population to the total population is the largest.
(3) The Election Commission shall, for the purpose of assisting it in the performance of its functions under sub-section (1), associate with itself as associate members, four persons as the Central Government may by order specify, being persons who are the members of the Legislative Assembly of the Union territory of Jammu and Kashmir or four members of the House of the People representing the Union territory of Jammu and Kashmir:
Provided that none of the associate members shall have a right to vote or to sign any decision of the Election Commission.
(4) If, owing to death or resignation, the office of an associate member falls vacant, it shall be filled as far as practicable, in accordance with the provisions of sub-section (3).
(5) The Election Commission shall--
(a) publish its proposals for the delimitation of constituencies together with the dissenting proposals, if any, of any associate member who desires publication thereof in the Official Gazette and in such other manner as the Commission may consider fit, together with a notice inviting objections and suggestions in relation to the proposals and specifying a date on or after which the proposals will be further considered by it;
(b) consider all objections and suggestions which may have been received by it before the date so specified; and
(c) after considering all objections and suggestions which may have been received by it before the date so specified, determine by one or more orders the delimitation of constituencies and cause such order or orders to be published in the Official Gazette, and there upon such publication, the order or orders shall have the full force of law and shall not be called in question in any court.
(6) As soon as may be after such publication, every such order relating to assembly constituencies shall be laid before the Legislative Assembly of the Union territory of Jammu and Kashmir.
Title: Power of Election Commission to maintain Delimitation Orders up to date
(1) The Election Commission may by notification in the Official Gazette,--
(a) correct any printing mistakes in any order made under section 60 or any error arising therein from inadvertent slip or omission; and
(b) where the boundaries or name of any territorial division mentioned in any such order or orders is or are altered, make such amendments as appear to it to be necessary or expedient for bringing such order up-to-date.
(2) Every notification under this section relating to an assembly constituency shall be laid, as soon as may be after it is issued, before the Legislative Assembly.
Title: Special provision as to readjustment of Parliamentary and Assembly Constituencies on the basis of 2011 census
(1) On and from the appointed day, notwithstanding the publication of orders under sub-section (1) of section 10 of the Delimitation Act, 2002 (33 of 2002) or anything contained in sub-section (2) or sub-section (4) of the said section, the Delimitation Act, 2002 shall be deemed to have been amended as provided below:
(a) in section 2, in clause (f), the words “but does not include the State of Jammu and Kashmir” shall be omitted; and
(b) for the purpose of delimitation of Assembly and Parliamentary Constituencies, the words and figures “census held in the year 2001”, wherever occurring, shall be construed as words and figures “census held in the year 2011”.
(2) Readjustment of the constituencies as provided under section 60 in the successor Union territory of Jammu and Kashmir into Assembly Constituencies, shall be carried by the Delimitation Commission, to be constituted under the Delimitation Act, 2002 (33 of 2002) as amended by this Act, and shall take effect from such date as the Central Government may, by order, publish in the Official Gazette, specify.
(3) Readjustment of the constituencies as provided under section 11 in the successor Union territory of Jammu and Kashmir into Parliamentary Constituencies, shall be carried by the Delimitation Commission, to be constituted under the Delimitation Act, 2002 (33 of 2002) as amended by this Act, and shall take effect from such date as the Central Government may, by order, publish in the Official Gazette, specify.
Title: Special provisions as to readjustment of Assembly and Parliamentary Constituencies
Notwithstanding anything contained in sections 59 to 61, until the relevant figures for the first census taken after the year 2026 have been published, it shall not be necessary to readjust the division of successor Union territory of Jammu and Kashmir into Assembly and Parliamentary Constituencies and any reference to the “latest census figures” in this Part shall be construed as a reference to the 2011 census figures.