Section 1 in The Private Security Agencies (Regulation) Act, 2005
Title: Short title, extent and commencement
(1) This Act may be called the Private Security Agencies (Regulation) Act, 2005.
(2) It extends to the whole of India 1***.
(3) It shall come into force on such date2 as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint.
1. The words "except the State of Jammu and Kashmir" omitted by Act 34 of 2019, s. 95 and the Fifth Schedule (w.e.f. 31-10-2019)..
2. 14th March, 2006, vide notification No. S.O. 317(E), dated 15th March, 2006, see Gazette of India, Extraordinary, Part II, sec. 3 (ii).
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires,—
(a) "armoured car service" means the service provided by deployment of armed guards along with armoured car and such other related services which may be notified by the Central Government or as the case may be, the State Government from time to time;
(b) "Controlling Authority" means the Controlling Authority appointed under sub-section (1) of section 3;
(c) "licence" means a licence granted under sub-section (5) of section 7;
(d) "notification" means a notification published in the Official Gazette;
(e) "prescribed" means prescribed by rules made under this Act;
(f) "private security" means security provided by a person, other than a public servant, to protect or guard any person or property or both and includes provision of armoured car service;
(g) "private security agency" means a person or body of persons other than a government agency, department or organisation engaged in the business of providing private security services including training to private security guards or their supervisor or providing private security guards to any industrial or business undertaking or a company or any other person or property;
(h) "private security guard" means a person providing private security with or without arms to another person or property or both and includes a supervisor;
(i) "State Government", in relation to a Union territory, includes the Administrator of that Union territory appointed by the President under article 239 of the Constitution.
Title: Appointment of Controlling Authority
(1) The State Government shall, by notification, designate an officer not below the rank of a Joint Secretary in the Home Department of the State or an equivalent officer to be the Controlling Authority for the purposes of this Act.
(2) The State Government may, for efficient discharge of functions by the Controlling Authority, provide it with such other officers and staff as that Government considers necessary.
Title: Persons or Private Security Agency not to engage or provide private security guard without licence
No person shall carry on or commence the business of private security agency, unless he holds a licence issued under this Act:
Provided that the person carrying on the business of private security agency, immediately before the commencement of this Act, may continue to do so for a period of one year from the date of such commencement and if he has made an application for such licence within the said period of one year, till the disposal of such application:
Provided further that no private security agency shall provide private security abroad without obtaining permission of the Controlling Authority, which shall consult the Central Government before according such permission.
Title: Eligibility for licence
An application for issue of a licence under this Act shall only be considered from a person after due verification of his antecedents.