Section 11 in The Coastal Aquaculture Authority Act, 2005
Title: Functions of Authority
(1) Subject to any guidelines issued by the Central Government under section 3, the Authority shall exercise the following powers and perform the following functions, namely:--
(a) to make regulations for the construction and operation of aquaculture farms within the coastal areas;
(b) to inspect coastal aquaculture farms with a view to ascertaining their environmental impact caused by coastal aquaculture;
(c) to register coastal aquaculture farms;
(d) to order removal or demolition of any coastal aquaculture farms which is causing pollution after hearing the occupier of the farm; and
(e) to perform such other functions as may be prescribed.
(2) Where the Authority orders removal or demolition of any coastal aquaculture farm under clause (d) of sub-section (1), the workers of the said farm shall be paid such compensation as may be settled between the workers and the management through an authority consisting of one person only to be appointed by the Authority and such authority may exercise such powers of a District Magistrate for such purpose, as may be prescribed.
Title: Power to enter
Subject to any rule made in this behalf, any person generally or specially authorised by the Authority in this behalf, may, wherever it is necessary to do so for any purposes of this Act, at all reasonable times, enter on any coastal aquaculture land, pond, pen or enclosure and—
(a) make any inspection, survey, measurement, valuation or inquiry;
(b) remove or demolish any structure therein; and
(c) do such other acts or things as may be prescribed:
Provided that no such person shall enter on any coastal aquaculture land, pond, pen or enclosure without giving the occupier of such aquaculture land, pond, pen or enclosure at least twenty-four hours' notice in writing of his intention to do so.
Title: Registration for coastal aquaculture
(1) Save as otherwise provided in this section, no person shall carry on, or cause to be carried on, coastal aquaculture in coastal area or traditional coastal aquaculture in the traditional coastal aquaculture farm which lies within the Coastal Regulation Zone referred to in sub-section (9) and is not used for coastal aquaculture purposes on the appointed day unless he has registered his farm with the Authority under sub-section (5) or in pursuance of sub-section (9), as the case may be.
(2) Notwithstanding anything contained in sub-section (1), a person engaged in coastal aquaculture, immediately before the appointed day, may continue to carry on such activity without such registration for a period of three months from that day and if he makes an application for such registration under sub-section (4) within the said period of three months, till the communication to him of the disposing of such application by the Authority
(3) The registration made under sub-section (5) or in pursuance of sub-section (9)
(a) shall be valid for a period of five years;
(b) may be renewed from time to time for a like period; and
(c) shall be in such form and shall be subject to such conditions as may be specified by the regulations.
(4) A person who intends to carry on coastal aquaculture shall make an application for registration of his farm before the Authority in such form accompanied with such fees as may be prescribed for the purpose of registration under sub-section (5).
(5) On receipt of an application for registration of a farm under sub-section (4), the Authority shall consider the application in the prescribed manner and after considering the application either register the farm or reject the application:
Provided that the Authority shall not reject the application without recording the reason for such rejection.
(6) The Authority shall, after registering a farm under sub-section (5), issue a certificate of registration in the prescribed form to the person who has made the application for such registration.
(7) In the case of a farm comprising more than two hectares of water spread area, no application for registration to commence any activity connected with coastal aquaculture shall be considered under sub-section (5) unless the Authority, after making such inquiry as it thinks fit, is satisfied that registration of such farm shall not be detrimental to the coastal environment.
(8) Notwithstanding anything contained in this section,--
(a) no coastal aquaculture shall be carried on within two hundred metres from High Tide Lines; and
(b) no coastal aquaculture shall be carried on in creeks, rivers and backwaters within the Coastal Regulation Zone declared for the time being under the Environment (Protection) Act, 1986 (29 of 1986):
Provided that nothing in this sub-section shall apply in the case of a coastal aquaculture farm which is in existence on the appointed day and to the non-commercial and experimental coastal aquaculture farms operated or proposed to be operated by any research institute of the Government or funded by the Government:
Provided further that the Authority may, for the purposes of providing exemption under the first proviso, review from time to time the existence and activities of the coastal aquaculture farms and the provisions of this section shall apply on coastal aquaculture farms in view of such review.
Explanation. For the purposes of this sub-section, "High Tide Line" means the line on the land up to which the highest water line reaches during the spring tide.
(9) Notwithstanding anything contained in this section, any traditional coastal aquaculture farm which lies within the Coastal Regulation Zone declared by the notification of the Government of India in the Ministry of Environment and Forest (Department of Environment, Forests and Wildlife) No.S.O.114(E), dated the 19th February, 1991 and is not used for coastal aquaculture purposes on the appointed day shall be registered under sub-section (5) by producing before the Authority, by the person who is the owner of such farm, the documentary proof of such ownership failing which such farm shall not be registered under sub-section (5) and if such person after such registration does not utilise such farm, within one year, for coastal aquaculture purposes, the registration shall be cancelled by the Authority.
(10) A person, who intends to renew the registration of a farm made under sub-section (5) or in pursuance of sub-section (9), may make an application within two months before the expiry of such registration to the Authority in the prescribed form accompanied with the prescribed fees and the Authority shall, after receiving such application, renew the registration and for such purpose make an entry with its seal on the registration certificate relating to such form issued under sub-section (6).
(11) The Authority may refuse to renew the registration of a farm under sub-section (10) if the Authority is satisfied that the person to whom such registration is made has failed to utilise such farm for coastal aquaculture purposes or without any reasonable cause has violated any provision of this Act or the rules or regulations made there under or any direction or order made by the Authority in pursuance of section 11:
Provided that such refusal to renew the registration shall not be made without providing such person an opportunity of being heard.
Explanation 1.For the purposes of this section, "appointed day" means the date of establishment of the Authority.
Explanation 2.For the removal of doubts, it is hereby declared that the expression "to renew the registration" used in sub-sections (10) and (11) shall be construed to include further renewal of the registration.
Title: Punishment for carrying on coastal aquaculture without registration
If any person carries on coastal aquaculture or traditional coastal aquaculture or causes the coastal aquaculture or traditional coastal aquaculture to be carried on in contravention of sub-section (1) of section 13, he shall be punishable with imprisonment for a term which may extend to three years or with fine which may extend to one lakh rupees, or with both.
Title: Cognizance of offence
No court shall take cognizance of an offence under section 14 without a written complaint filed by an officer of the Authority authorised in this behalf by it.