Section 49 in The Petroleum and Natural Gas Regulatory Board Act, 2006
Title: Punishment for wilful damages to common carrier or contract carrier
Every person who willfully removes, destroys or damages any pipeline or city or local natural gas distribution network or other work of the common carrier or contract carrier for supplying petroleum, petroleum products or natural gas shall for each such offence be punishable with imprisonment which may extend to three years or with fine which may extend to twenty-five crore rupees or with both, and, in case of continuing contravention with additional fine which may extend to ten lakh rupees for every day during which such contravention continues.
Title: Offences by companies
(1) Where an offence under this Act has been committed by a company, every person who at the time the offence was committed was in charge of, and was responsible to, the company for the conduct of the business of the company, as well as the company, shall be deemed to be guilty of the offence and shall be liable to be proceeded against and punished accordingly:
Provided that nothing contained in this sub-section shall render any such person liable to any punishment provided in this Act, if he proves that the offence was committed without his knowledge or that he has exercised all due diligence to prevent the commission of such offence.
(2) Notwithstanding anything contained in sub-section (1), where an offence under this Act has been committed by a company and it is proved `that the offence has been committed with the consent or connivance of, or is attributable to, any neglect on the part of any director, manager, secretary or other officer of the company, such director, manager, secretary or other officer shall also be deemed to be guilty of the offence and shall be liable to be proceeded against and punished accordingly.
Explanation.--For the purpose of this section,--
(a) "company" means any body corporate and includes a firm or other association of individuals; and
(b) "director", in relation to a firm, means a partner in the firm.
Title: Maintenance of data bank and information
(1) The Board shall maintain a data bank and information system relating to activities of entities dealing with petroleum, petroleum products and natural gas in such form and manner as may be provided by regulations.
(2) The Board shall have power to verify the data supplied by the entities and appoint any person or persons for the purpose and take such measures as it may consider necessary.
Title: Obligations of entities
(1) Every entity shall—
(a) maintain such documentary records as may be specified by the Board by regulations;
(b) allow inspection of such facilities and documentary records, as may be specified by the Board, by any person authorised by the Board;
(c) commence operation of activities for which authorisation has been granted within such period as may be specified by the Board in the document of authorisation;
(i) agreements with the Board relating to use of pipelines for supply of petroleum, petroleum products and natural gas; or
(ii) any other document which the Board may determine by regulations;
(e) comply with marketing service obligations and retail service obligations.
(2) The Board may call for any information from any entity including information which is considered necessary for ensuring transparency or ascertaining true ownership of the entity.
(3) The Board or any officer authorised by the Board shall have the power to inspect and obtain information, wherever necessary, from the entities.
(4) For the effective enforcement of the terms and conditions of authorisation, the Board or any officer authorised by it for that purpose, shall have all the powers of an inspecting officer as provided under section 209A of the Companies Act, 1956 (1 of 1956).
(5) It shall be the duty of every entity to carry out the directions of the Board given under this section.
(6) The Board shall maintain confidentiality in respect of any information and record received by it from the entities and shall not disclose information contained therein to any person or authority except on the grounds of public interest.
Title: Furnishing of returns, etc., to Central Government
The Board shall furnish to the Central Government at such time and in such form and manner as may be prescribed or as the Central Government may direct, such returns and statements and such particulars in regard to any matter in connection with proposed or existing activities under this Act, as the Central Government may, from time to time, require.