Section 6 in The Petroleum and Natural Gas Regulatory Board Act, 2006
Title: Powers of Chairperson
The Chairperson shall have the powers of general superintendence and directions in the conduct of the affairs of the Board and shall, in addition to presiding over the meetings of the Board, exercise and discharge such other powers and functions of the Board, as may be assigned to him by the Board.
Title: Removal of Chairperson or any other member from office
The Central Government may remove from office the Chairperson or any other member, who—
(a) has been adjudged as insolvent; or
(b) has been convicted of an offence which, in the opinion of the Central Government, involves moral turpitude; or
(c) has become physically or mentally incapable of acting as a member; or
(d) has acquired such financial or other interest as is likely to affect prejudicially his functions as a member; or
(e) has so abused his position as to render his continuance in office prejudicial to the public interest:
Provided that no Chairperson or other member shall be removed from office under clause (d) or clause (e) unless the Central Government, after holding an inquiry by any person appointed or authority constituted for the purpose and in accordance with such procedure as may be prescribed in this behalf, is satisfied that such person ought on such ground or grounds to be removed.
Title: Meetings of the Board
(1) The Board shall meet at such times and places, and shall observe such procedure in regard to the transaction of business at its meetings (including the quorum at such meetings) as may be provided by regulations.
(2) The Chairperson or, if he is unable to attend a meeting of the Board, the senior-most member present, reckoned from the date of appointment to the Board, shall preside at the meeting:
Provided that in case of common date of appointment of members, the member senior in age shall be considered as senior to the other members.
(3) All questions which come up before any meeting of the Board shall be decided by a majority of the members present and voting, and in the event of an equality of votes, the Chairperson or in his absence, the person presiding shall have a second or casting vote.
(4) All orders and decisions of the Board shall be authenticated by the Secretary or any other officer of the Board duly authorised by the Chairperson in this behalf.
Title: Vacancies, etc., not to invalidate proceedings of the Board.
No act or proceeding of the Board shall be invalid merely by reason of—
(a) any vacancy in, or any defect in the constitution of, the Board; or
(b) any defect in the appointment of a person acting as a member of the Board; or
(c) any irregularity in the procedure of the Board not affecting the merits of the case.
Title: Officers and other employees of the Board
(1) The Central Government may, in consultation with the Board, appoint a Secretary to exercise and perform such powers and duties, under the control of the Chairperson as may be specified by regulations:
Provided that no such consultation shall be necessary for appointment of the first Secretary of the Board.
(2) The Board may, with the approval of the Central Government, determine the number, nature and categories of other officers and employees required to assist the Board in the efficient discharge of its functions.
(3) The salaries and allowances payable to and the other terms and conditions of service of the Secretary, the other officers and employees of the Board shall be such as may be prescribed.
(4) The Board may appoint consultants required to assist in the discharge of its functions on such terms and conditions as may be determined by regulations.