Section 9 in The Actuaries Act, 2006
Title: Certificate of practice
(1) No member of the Institute shall be entitled to practice unless he fulfils the qualifications as may be specified and obtains from the Council a certificate of practice.
(2) A member who desires to be entitled to practice shall make an application in such form and pay such annual fee for certificate of practice as may be specified and such fee shall be payable on or before the first day of April in each year.
(3) The certificate of practice obtained under sub-section (1) may be cancelled by the Council under such circumstances as may be specified.
Title: Members to be known as Actuaries
Every member of the Institute in practice shall, and any other member may, use the designation of an Actuary and no member using such designation shall use any other description whether in addition thereto or in substitution therefor:
Provided that nothing contained in this section shall be deemed to prohibit any such member from adding any other description or letters to his name, if entitled thereto, to indicate membership of such other Institute, whether in India or elsewhere, as may be recognised in this behalf by the Council, or any other qualification that he may possess, or to prohibit a firm, all the partners of which are members of the Institute and in practice, from being known by its firm name as Actuaries.
Notwithstanding anything contained in section 6, a person shall not be entitled to have his name entered in, or borne on, the register if he—
(a) has not attained the age of twenty-one years at the time of his application for the entry of his name in the register; or
(b) is of unsound mind and stands so adjudged by a competent court; or
(c) is an undischarged insolvent; or
(d) being a discharged insolvent, has not obtained from the court a certificate stating that his insolvency was caused by misfortune and without any misconduct on his part; or
(e) has been convicted by a competent court whether within or outside India, of an offence involving moral turpitude and punishable with imprisonment or of an offence, not of a technical nature, committed by him in his professional capacity unless in respect of the offence committed he has either been granted a pardon or, on an application made by him in this behalf, the Central Government has, by an order in writing, removed the disqualification; or
(f) has been removed from the membership of the Institute on being found on inquiry to have been guilty of a professional or other misconduct:
Provided that a person who has been removed from the membership for a specified period shall not be entitled to have his name entered in the Register until the expiry of such period.
Title: Composition of Council of Institute
(1)There shall be a Council of the Institute for the management of the affairs of the Institute and for discharging the functions assigned to it by or under this Act.
(2) The Council shall be composed of the following persons, namely:--
(a) a minimum of nine and not more than twelve persons from amongst fellow members to be elected by the fellow and the associate members of the Institute in such manner as may be prescribed:
Provided that a fellow of the Institute, who has been found guilty of any professional or other misconduct and whose name is removed from the Register or has been awarded penalty of fine, shall not be eligible to contest election,--
(i) in case of misconduct falling under the Schedule of this Act [except Part IV(B),] for a period of three years; or
(ii) in case of misconduct falling under Part IV(B) of the Schedule of this Act, for a period of six years,
after the completion of the period of removal of name of the fellow from the Register or the payment of fine is made, as the case may be; and
(b) (i) an officer not below the rank of Joint Secretary to the Government of India, to be nominated by the Central Government to represent the Ministry of Finance;
(ii) one person from the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority constituted under the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority Act, 1999 (41 of 1999) nominated by the Central Government; and
(iii) not more than two persons having knowledge in the field of life insurance, general insurance, finance, economics, law, accountancy or any other discipline which in the opinion of the Central Government, would be useful to the Council, to be nominated in such manner as may be prescribed:
Provided that till such time as the Council is constituted under this Act, the Executive Committee of the Actuarial Society shall discharge all the functions and shall have all the powers of the Council.
(3) No person holding a post under the Central Government or a State Government, as the case may be, shall be eligible for election to the Council under clause (a) of sub-section (2).
(4) One-third of the members of the Council referred to in clause (a) of sub-section (2) shall retire as soon as may be on the expiration of every second year by rotation but shall be eligible for re-election.
(5) Any person nominated under clause (b) of sub-section (2) shall hold office for a period of six years from the date of his nomination unless he is removed earlier by the Central Government and shall be eligible for re-nomination:
Provided that he shall be given an opportunity of being heard before such removal.
Title: Annual general meetings
The Council shall every year hold an annual general meeting of the Institute to elect its members under clause (a) of sub-section (2) of section 12, or to discuss any matter which it deems fit, and not more than fifteen months shall elapse between the date of one annual general meeting of the Institute and that of the next:
Provided that from the appointed day the Institute may hold its first annual general meeting within a period of not more than eighteen months and if such general meeting is held within that period, it shall not be necessary for the Institute to hold any general meeting in that year:
Provided further that the Central Government may, for sufficient reasons, extend the time within which any general meeting shall be held.