Section 30 in The Payment and Settlement Systems Act, 2007
Title: Power of Reserve Bank to impose fines
(1) Notwithstanding anything contained in section 26, if a contravention or default of the nature referred to in sub-section (2) or sub-section (6) of section 26, as the case may be, the Reserve Bank may impose on the person contravening or committing default a penalty not exceeding five lakh rupees or twice the amount involved in such contravention or default where such amount is quantifiable, whichever is more, and where such contravention or default is a continuing one, a further penalty which may extend to twenty-five thousand rupees for every day after the first during which the contravention or default continues.
(2) For the purpose of imposing penalty under sub-section (1), the Reserve Bank shall serve a notice on the defaulter requiring him to show cause why the amount specified in the notice should not be imposed as a penalty and a reasonable opportunity of being heard shall also be given to such defaulter.
(3) Any penalty imposed by the Reserve Bank under this section shall be payable within a period of thirty days from the date on which notice issued by the Reserve Bank demanding payment of the sum is served on the defaulter and, in the event of failure of the person to pay the sum within such period, may be recovered on a direction made by the principal civil court having jurisdiction in the area where the registered office of the defaulter company or the official business of the person is situated:
Provided that no such direction shall be made, except on an application made by an officer of the Reserve Bank authorised by it in this behalf.
(4) The Reserve Bank may recover the amount of penalty by debiting the current account, if any, of the defaulter or by liquidating the securities held to the credit of the defaulter or in accordance with the provisions of this Act.
(5) The court which makes a direction under sub-section (3) shall issue a certificate specifying the sum payable by the defaulter and every such certificate shall be enforceable in the same manner as it were a decree made by the court in a civil suit.
(6) Where any complaint has been filed against any person in any court in respect of the contravention or default of the nature referred to in sub-section (2), or, as the case may be, sub-section (4) of section 26, then, no proceeding for the imposition of any penalty on the person shall be taken under this section.
Title: Power to compound offences
(1) Notwithstanding anything contained in the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973 (2 of 1974), any offence punishable under this Act for any contravention, not being an offence punishable with imprisonment only, or with imprisonment and also with fine, may, on receipt of an application from the person committing such contravention either before or after the institution of any proceeding, be compounded by an officer of the Reserve Bank duly authorised by it in this behalf.
(2) Where a contravention has been compounded under sub-section (1), no proceeding or further proceeding, as the case may be, shall be initiated or continued, as the case may be, against the person committing such contravention under that section, in respect of the contravention so compounded.
Title: Act to have overriding effect
The provisions of this Act shall have effect notwithstanding anything inconsistent therewith contained in any other law for the time being in force.
Title: Mode of recovery of penalty.
(1) The penalty imposed on the defaulter by the Reserve Bank under section 30 may be recovered by issuing a notice to any person from whom any amount is due to the defaulter, by requiring such person to deduct from the amount payable by him to the defaulter, the amount payable to the Reserve Bank by way of penalty and pay to the Reserve Bank.
(2) Save as otherwise provided in this section, every person to whom a notice is issued under this sub-section shall be bound to comply with such notice, and, in particular, where such notice is issued to a post office, bank or an insurer, it shall not be necessary for any passbook, deposit receipt, policy or any other document to be produced for the purpose of any entry, endorsement or the like being made before payment is made notwithstanding that any rule, practice or requirement to the contrary.
(3) Any claim respecting any property in relation to which a notice under this sub-section has been issued arising after the date of the notice shall be void as against any demand contained in the notice.
(4) Where a person to whom the notice under this sub-section is sent objects to it by a statement on oath that the sum demanded or any part thereof is not due to the defaulter or that he does not hold any money for or on account of the defaulter, then, nothing contained in this sub-section shall be deemed to require such person to pay any such sum or part thereof, as the case may be, but if it is discovered that such statement was false in any material particular, such person shall be personally liable to the Reserve Bank to the extent of his own liability to the defaulter on the date of the notice, or to the extent of the penalty imposed on the defaulter by the Reserve Bank, whichever is less.
(5) The Reserve Bank may at any time or from time to time, amend or revoke any notice issued under this section or extend the time for making the payment in pursuance of such notice.
(6) The Reserve Bank shall grant a receipt for any amount paid to it in compliance with a notice issued under this section and the person so paying shall be fully discharged from his liability to the defaulter to the extent of the amount so paid.
(7) Any person discharging any liability to the defaulter after the receipt of a notice under this section shall be personally liable to the Reserve Bank to the extent of his own liability to the defaulter so discharged or to the extent of the penalty imposed on the defaulter by the Reserve Bank, whichever is less.
(8) If the person to whom the notice under this section is sent fails to make payment in pursuance thereof to the Reserve Bank, he shall be deemed to be the defaulter in respect of the amount specified in the notice and further proceedings may be taken against him for the realisation of the amount as if it were an arrear due from him in the manner provided in this section.
Explanation.--For the purposes of this section, "defaulter" means any person or system provider or system participant on whom the Reserve Bank has imposed a penalty under section 30.
Title: Act not to apply to stock exchanges or clearing corporations of stock exchanges
Nothing contained in this Act shall apply to stock exchanges or the clearing corporations of the stock exchanges.