Section 30 in The National Institutes of Technology, Science Education and Research Act, 2007
Title: Establishment of Council
(1) With effect from such date as the Central Government may, by notification, specify in this behalf, there shall be established for all the Institutes specified in column (3) of the 1[First Schedule] , 2[the Second Schedule and the Third Schedule] a central body to be called the Council.
(2) The Council shall consist of the following members, namely:--
(a) the Minister in charge of the Ministry or Department of the Central Government having administrative control of the technical education, ex officio, as Chairman;
(b) the Secretary to the Government of India in charge of the Ministry or Department of the Central Government having administrative control of the technical education, ex officio, as Vice-Chairman;
(c) the Chairperson of every Board, ex officio;
(d) the Director of every Institute, ex officio;
(e) the Chairman, University Grants Commission, ex officio;
(f) the Director General, Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, ex officio;
(g) four Secretaries to the Government of India, to represent the Ministries or Departments of the Central Government dealing with biotechnology, atomic energy, information technology and space, ex officio;
(h) the Chairman, All India Council for Technical Education, ex officio;
(i) not less than three, but not more than five persons to be nominated by the Visitor, at least one of whom shall be a woman, having special knowledge or practical experience in respect of education, industry, science or technology;
(j) three members of Parliament, of whom two shall be chosen by the House of the People and one by the Council of States:
Provided that the office of member of the Council shall not disqualify its holder for being chosen as or for being, a member of either House of Parliament;
(k) two Secretaries to the State Government, from amongst the Ministries or Departments of that Government dealing with technical education where the Institutes are located, ex officio;
(l) Financial Advisor, dealing with the Human Resource Development Ministry or Department of the Central Government, ex officio;
(m) one officer not below the rank of Joint Secretary to the Government of India in the Ministry or Department of Central Government having administrative control of the Technical Education, ex officio, as Member-Secretary.
1. Subs. by Act of 28 of 2012, s. 13 for "Schedule" (w. e. f 7-6-2012).
2. Ins. by Act 9 of 2014, s.7 (w.e.f. 4-3-2014).
[30A. Establishment of Council for the Institutes of Second ScheduleIns.] Ins. by the National Institutes of Technology (Amendment) Act, 2012 (28 of 2012), s. 9 (w.e.f. 7-6-2012) and omitted by the National Institutes of Technology, Science Education and Research (Amendment) Act, 2014 (9 of 2014), s. 8 (w.e.f. 4-3-2014).
Title: Term of office of, vacancies among, and allowances payable to members of Council
(1) The terms of office of a member shall be three years from the date of notification:
Provided that the term of office of an ex officio member shall continue so long as he holds office by virtue of which he is such a member.
(2) The term of office of a member elected under clause (j) of sub-section (2) of section 30 1*** shall expire as soon as he ceases to be member of the House, which elected him.
(3) The term of office of a member nominated or elected to fill a casual vacancy shall continue for the remainder of the term of the member in whose place he has been appointed.
(4) Notwithstanding anything contained in this section an outgoing member shall, unless the Central Government otherwise directs, continue in office until another person is appointed as a member in his place
(5) The members of the Council other than ex officio member shall be paid such travelling and other allowances as may be prescribed.
1. The words, brackets, letters and figures "and clause (j) of sub-section (2) of section 30A" omitted by Act of 9 of 2014, s.9 (w.e.f. 4-3-2014).
Title: Functions of Council
(1) It shall be the general duty of the Council to co-ordinate the activities of all the Institutes.
(2) Without prejudice to the provisions of sub-section (1), the Council shall perform the following functions, namely:--
(a) to advise on matters relating to the duration of the courses, the degrees and other academic distinctions to be conferred by the Institutes, admission standards and other academic matters;
(b) to lay down policy regarding cadres, methods of recruitment and conditions of service of employees, institution of scholarships and free ships, levying of fees and other matters of common interest;
(c) to examine the development plans of each Institute and to approve such of them as are considered necessary and also to indicate broadly the financial implications of such approved plans;
(d) to advise the Visitor, if so required, in respect of any function to be performed by him under this Act; and
(e) to perform such other functions as are assigned to it by or under this Act.
Title: Chairman of Council
(1) The Chairman of the Council shall ordinarily preside at the meetings of the Council:
Provided that, in his absence, the Vice-Chairman of the Council shall preside at the meetings of the Council.
(2) It shall be the duty of the Chairman of the Council to ensure that the decisions taken by the Council are implemented.
(3) The Chairman shall exercise such other powers and perform such other duties as are assigned to him by this Act.
(4) The Council shall meet once in every year and follow such procedure in its meetings as may be prescribed.