Section 13 in The National Institutes of Technology, Science Education and Research Act, 2007
Title: Powers and functions of Board
(1) Subject to the provisions of this Act, the Board of every Institute shall be responsible for the general superintendence, direction and control of the affairs of the Institute and shall exercise all the powers of the Institute not otherwise provided for by this Act, the Statutes and the Ordinances, and shall have the power to review the acts of the Senate.
(2) Without prejudice to the provisions of sub-section (1), the Board of every Institute shall,--
(a) take decisions on questions of policy relating to the administration and working of the Institute;
(b) institute courses of study at the Institute;
(c) make Statutes;
(d) institute and appoint persons to academic as well as other posts in the Institute;
(e) consider and modify or cancel Ordinances;
(f) consider and pass resolutions on the annual report, the annual accounts and the budget estimates of the Institute for the next financial year as it thinks fit and submit them to the Council together with a statement of its development plans;
(g) exercise such other powers and perform such other duties as may be conferred or imposed upon it by this Act or the Statutes;
(3) The Board shall have the power to appoint such committees, as it considers necessary for the exercise of its powers and the performance of its duties under this Act.
The Senate of every Institute shall consist of the following persons, namely:--
(a) the Director, ex officio, who shall be the Chairman of the Senate;
(b) the Deputy Director, ex officio;
(c) the Professors appointed or recognised as such by the Institute for the purpose of imparting instructions in the Institute;
(d) three persons, one of whom shall be a woman, not being employees of the Institute, to be nominated by the Chairperson in consultation with the Director, from amongst educationists of repute, one each from the field of science, engineering and humanities;
(e) such other members of the staff as may be laid down in the Statutes.
Title: Functions of Senate
Subject to the provisions of this Act, the Statutes and the Ordinances, the Senate of an Institute shall have the control and general regulation, and be responsible for the maintenance of standards of instruction, education and examination in the Institute and shall exercise such other powers and perform such other duties as may be conferred or imposed upon it by the Statutes.
Title: Chairperson of Board
(1) The Chairperson shall ordinarily preside at the meetings of the Board and at the Convocations of the Institute.
(2) It shall be the duty of the Chairperson to ensure that the decisions taken by the Board are implemented.
(3) The Chairperson shall exercise such other powers and perform such other duties as may be assigned to him by this Act or the Statutes.
Title: Director and Deputy Director
(1) The Director 1*** of an Institute shall be appointed by the Visitor, on such terms and conditions of service and on the recommendations of a Selection Committee constituted by him in such manner, as may be prescribed by the Statutes.
(2) The Director shall be the principal academic and executive officer of the Institute and shall be responsible for the proper administration of the Institute and for the imparting of instruction and maintenance of discipline therein.
(3) The Director shall submit annual reports and accounts to the Board.
(4) The Director shall exercise such other powers and perform such other duties as may be assigned to him by this Act or the Statutes or Ordinances.
2[(5) The Deputy Director of every Institute shall be appointed in such manner and on such terms and conditions as may be laid down by the Statutes and shall exercise such powers and perform such duties as may be assigned to him by this Act or the Statutes or by the Director.]
1. The words "and Deputy Director" omitted by Act 28 of 2012, s.11 (w. e. f 7-6-2012).
2. Subs. by s. 11, ibid., for sub-section (5) (w.e.f 7-6-2012).