Section 12 in The National Institutes of Technology, Science Education and Research Act, 2007
Title: Term of office of, vacancies among, and allowances payable to, members of Board
Save as otherwise provided in this section,--
(a) the term of office of the Chairperson or other members of the Board shall be three years from the date of his nomination;
(b) the term of office of an ex officio member shall continue so long as he holds the office by virtue of which he is a member;
(c) the term of office of a member nominated under clause (f) of section 11 1[and clause (h) of section 11A] shall be two years from the date of his nomination;
(d) a casual vacancy shall be filled up in accordance with the provisions of section 11 1[or section 11A, as the case may be;]
(e) the term of office of a member nominated to fill a casual vacancy shall continue for the remainder of the term of the member in whose place, he has been nominated;
(f) the member of the Board shall be entitled to such allowances, if any, from the Institute as may be provided for in the Statutes but no member other than the members referred to in clauses (b) and (f) of section 11 1[and clauses (c) and (h) of section 11A] shall be entitled to any salary by reason of this clause.
1. Ins. by Act 28 of 2012, s. 10 (w.e.f. 7-6-2012).
Title: Powers and functions of Board
(1) Subject to the provisions of this Act, the Board of every Institute shall be responsible for the general superintendence, direction and control of the affairs of the Institute and shall exercise all the powers of the Institute not otherwise provided for by this Act, the Statutes and the Ordinances, and shall have the power to review the acts of the Senate.
(2) Without prejudice to the provisions of sub-section (1), the Board of every Institute shall,--
(a) take decisions on questions of policy relating to the administration and working of the Institute;
(b) institute courses of study at the Institute;
(c) make Statutes;
(d) institute and appoint persons to academic as well as other posts in the Institute;
(e) consider and modify or cancel Ordinances;
(f) consider and pass resolutions on the annual report, the annual accounts and the budget estimates of the Institute for the next financial year as it thinks fit and submit them to the Council together with a statement of its development plans;
(g) exercise such other powers and perform such other duties as may be conferred or imposed upon it by this Act or the Statutes;
(3) The Board shall have the power to appoint such committees, as it considers necessary for the exercise of its powers and the performance of its duties under this Act.
The Senate of every Institute shall consist of the following persons, namely:--
(a) the Director, ex officio, who shall be the Chairman of the Senate;
(b) the Deputy Director, ex officio;
(c) the Professors appointed or recognised as such by the Institute for the purpose of imparting instructions in the Institute;
(d) three persons, one of whom shall be a woman, not being employees of the Institute, to be nominated by the Chairperson in consultation with the Director, from amongst educationists of repute, one each from the field of science, engineering and humanities;
(e) such other members of the staff as may be laid down in the Statutes.
Title: Functions of Senate
Subject to the provisions of this Act, the Statutes and the Ordinances, the Senate of an Institute shall have the control and general regulation, and be responsible for the maintenance of standards of instruction, education and examination in the Institute and shall exercise such other powers and perform such other duties as may be conferred or imposed upon it by the Statutes.
Title: Chairperson of Board
(1) The Chairperson shall ordinarily preside at the meetings of the Board and at the Convocations of the Institute.
(2) It shall be the duty of the Chairperson to ensure that the decisions taken by the Board are implemented.
(3) The Chairperson shall exercise such other powers and perform such other duties as may be assigned to him by this Act or the Statutes.