Section 46 in The Tripura University Act, 2006
Title: Statutes, Ordinances and Regulations to be published in the Official Gazette and to be laid before Parliament
(1) Every Statute, Ordinance or Regulation made under this Act shall be published in the Official Gazette.
(2) Every Statute, Ordinance or Regulation made under this Act shall be laid, as soon as may be after it is made, before each House of Parliament, while it is in session, for a total period of thirty days which may be comprised in one session or in two or more successive sessions, and if, before the expiry of the session immediately following the session or the successive sessions aforesaid, both Houses agree in making any modification in the Statute, Ordinance or Regulation or both Houses agree that the Statute, Ordinance or Regulation should not be made, the Statute, Ordinance or Regulation shall thereafter have effect only in such modified form or be of no effect, as the case may be; so, however, that any such modification or annulment shall be without prejudice to the validity of anything previously done under that Statute, Ordinance or Regulation.
(3) The power to make Statutes, Ordinances or Regulations shall include the power to give retrospective effect, from a date not earlier than the date of commencement of this Act, to the Statutes, Ordinances or Regulations or any of them but no retrospective effect shall be given to any Statute, Ordinance or Regulation so as to prejudicially affect the interests of any person to whom such Statute, Ordinance or Regulation may be applicable.
Title: Transitional provisions
Notwithstanding anything contained in this Act and the Statutes,--
(a) the first Chancellor and first Vice-Chancellor shall be appointed by the Central Government in such manner and on such conditions as may be deemed fit and each of the said officers shall hold office for such term, not exceeding five years as may be specified by the Central Government;
(b) the first Registrar and the first Finance Officer shall be appointed by the Central Government and each of the said officers shall hold office for a term of three years;
(c) the first Court and the first Executive Council shall consist of not more than thirty-one members and eleven members, respectively, who shall be nominated by the Central Government and shall hold office for a term of three years;
(d) the first College Development Council shall consist of not more than eleven members, who shall be nominated by the Central Government and they shall hold office for a term of three years;
(e) the first Academic Council shall consist of not more than twenty-one members, who shall be nominated by the Central Government and they shall hold office for a term of three years:
Provided that if any vacancy occurs in the above offices or authorities, the same shall be filled by appointment or nomination, as the case may be, by the Central Government, and the person so appointed or nominated shall hold office for so long as the officer or member in whose place he is appointed or nominated would have held office, if such vacancy had not occurred.
Title: Repeal of Tripura Act 11 of 1987.
(1) The Tripura University Act, 1987 is hereby repealed.
(2) Notwithstanding such repeal,--
(a) all appointments made, orders issued, degrees and other academic distinctions conferred, diplomas and certificates awarded, privileges granted, or other things done under the Tripura University Act, 1987 (Tripura Act 11 of 1987), shall be deemed to have been respectively made, issued, conferred, awarded, granted or done under the corresponding provisions of this Act and, except as otherwise provided by or under this Act or the Statutes, continue in force unless and until they are superseded by any order made under this Act or the Statutes; and
(b) all proceedings of Selection Committees for the appointment or promotion of teachers that took place before the commencement of this Act and all actions of the Executive Council in respect of the recommendations of such Selection Committees where no orders of appointment on the basis thereof were passed before the commencement of this Act shall, notwithstanding that the procedure for selection has been modified by this Act, be deemed to have been valid but further proceeding in connection with such pending selections shall be taken in accordance with the provisions of this Act and be continued from the stage where they stood immediately before such commencement, except if the concerned authorities take, with the approval of the Visitor, a decision to the contrary.
Title: Short title and commencement
(1) This Act may be called the Rajiv Gandhi University Act, 2006.
(2) It shall come into force on such date1 as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint.
1. 1st April, 2007, vide notification No. S.O. 512(E), dated 1st April, 2007, see Gazette of India, Extraordinary, Part II, sec. 3(ii).
In this Act, and in all Statutes made hereunder, unless the context otherwise requires,--
(a) "Academic Council" means the Academic Council of the University;
(b) "academic staff" means such categories of staff as are designated as academic staff by the Ordinances;
(c) "Affiliated College" means a college admitted to the privileges of the University;
(d) 'Approved Institution" means an Institution approved by the University for offering programmes of study leading to a certificate or diploma or both, not being an institution imparting programmes of study leading to a degree;
(e) "Approved teachers" means such persons as may be approved by the University for the purpose of imparting instruction in an Approved Institution;
(f) "Board of Studies" means the Board of Studies of the University;
(g) "Chancellor", "Vice-Chancellor" and "Pro-Vice-Chancellor" mean, respectively, the Chancellor, Vice-Chancellor and Pro-Vice-Chancellor of the University;
(h) "College Development Council" means the College Development Council of the University;
(i) "Constituent College" means a college maintained by the University;
(j) "Court" means the Court of the University;
(k) "Department" means a Department of Studies and includes a Centre of Studies;
(l) "distance education system' means the system of imparting education through any means of communication, such as broadcasting, telecasting, correspondence courses, seminars, contact programmes or the combination of any two or more such means;
(m) "employee" means any person appointed by the University and includes teachers and other staff of the University;
(n) "Executive Council" means the Executive Council of the University;
(o) "Faculty" means a Faculty of the University;
(p) "Hall" means a unit of residence or of corporate life for the students of the University, or of a College or an Institution, maintained by the University;
(q) "Institution" means an academic institution, not being a College, maintained by, or admitted to the privileges of, the University;
(r) "Principal' means the Head of a College or an Institution maintained by the University and includes, where there is no Principal, the person for the time being duly appointed to act as Principal, and in the absence of the Principal, or the acting Principal, a Vice-Principal duly appointed as such;
(s) "recognised teachers" means such persons as may be recognised by the University for the purpose of imparting instructions in a College or an Institution admitted to the privileges of the University;
(t) "Regulations" means the Regulations made by any authority of the University under this Act for the time being in force;
(u) "Statutes" and "Ordinances" mean, respectively, the Statutes and the Ordinances of the University for the time being in force;
(v) "teachers of the University" means Professors, Readers, Lecturers and such other persons as may be appointed for imparting instruction or conducting research in the University or in any College or Institution maintained by the University and are designated as teachers by the Ordinances;
(w) "University" means the Rajiv Gandhi University established and incorporated as a University under this Act.