Section 6 in The Sikkim University Act, 2006
(1) The jurisdiction of the University shall extend to the whole of the State of Sikkim.
(2) Notwithstanding anything in any other law for the time being in force, no educational institution within the State of Sikkim shall be associated in any way with or be admitted to any privileges of any other University incorporated by law in India, and any such privileges granted by any such other University to an educational institution within the State of Sikkim prior to the commencement of this Act shall be deemed to be withdrawn on the commencement of this Act:
Provided that the Central Government may, by order in writing, direct that the provisions of this subsection shall not apply in case of any educational institution specified in the order.
Title: University open to all classes, castes and creed
The University shall be open to persons of either sex and of whatever caste, creed, race or class, and it shall not be lawful for the University to adopt or impose on any person, any test whatsoever of religious belief or profession in order to entitle him to be appointed as a teacher of the University or to hold any other office therein or be admitted as a student in the University or to graduate thereat or to enjoy or exercise any privilege thereof:
Provided that nothing in this section shall be deemed to prevent the University from making special provisions for the employment or admission of women, persons with disabilities or of persons belonging to the weaker sections of the society and, in particular, of the Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes.
Title: The Visitor
(1) The President of India shall be the Visitor of the University.
(2) The Visitor may, from time to time, appoint one or more persons to review the work and progress of the University, including Colleges and Institutions maintained by it, and to submit a report thereon; and upon receipt of that report, the Visitor may, after obtaining the views of the Executive Council thereon through the Vice-Chancellor, take such action and issue such directions as he considers necessary in respect of any of the matters dealt with in the report and the University shall be bound to comply with such directions.
(3) The Visitor shall have the right to cause an inspection to be made by such person or persons as he may direct, of the University, its buildings, libraries, laboratories and equipment, and of any College or Institution maintained by the University or admitted to its privileges; and also of the examinations, teaching and other work conducted or done by the University and to cause an inquiry to be made in like manner in respect of any matter connected with the administration or finances of the University, Colleges or Institutions.
(4) The Visitor shall, in every matter referred to in sub-section (3), give notice of his intention to cause an inspection or inquiry to be made,--
(a) to the University, if such inspection or inquiry is to be made in respect of the University or any College or Institution maintained by it, or
(b) to the management of the College or Institution, if the inspection or inquiry is to be made in respect of College or Institution admitted to the privileges of the University, and the University or the management, as the case may be, shall have the right to make such representations to the Visitor, as it may consider necessary.
(5) After considering the representations, if any, made by the University or the management, as the case may be, the Visitor may cause to be made such inspection or inquiry as is referred to in sub-section (3).
(6) Where any inspection or inquiry has been caused to be made by the Visitor, the University or the management shall be entitled to appoint a representative, who shall have the right to be present and be heard at such inspection or inquiry.
(7) The Visitor may, if the inspection or inquiry is made in respect of the University or any College or Institution maintained by it, address the Vice-Chancellor with reference to the result of such inspection or inquiry together with such views and advice with regard to the action to be taken thereon, as the Visitor may be pleased to offer, and on receipt of address made by the Visitor, the Vice-Chancellor shall communicate, to the Executive Council, the views of the Visitor with such advice as the Visitor may offer upon the action to be taken thereon.
(8) The Visitor may, if the inspection or inquiry is made in respect of any College or Institution admitted to the privileges of the University, address the management concerned through the ViceChancellor with reference to the result of such inspection or inquiry, his views thereon and such advice as he may be pleased to offer upon the action to be taken thereon.
(9) The Executive Council or the management, as the case may be, shall communicate, through the Vice-Chancellor to the Visitor such action, if any, as it proposes to take or has been taken upon the result of such inspection or inquiry.
(10) Where, the Executive Council or the management, does not, within a reasonable time, take action to the satisfaction of the Visitor, the Visitor may, after considering any explanation furnished or representation made by the Executive Council or the management, issue such directions as he may think fit and the Executive Council or the management, as the case may be, shall comply with such directions.
(11) Without prejudice to the foregoing provisions of this section, the Visitor may, by order in writing, annul any proceeding of the University which is not in conformity with the Act, the Statutes or the Ordinances:
Provided that before making any such order, he shall call upon the Registrar to show cause why such an order should not be made, and, if any cause is shown within a reasonable time, he shall consider the same.
(12) The Visitor shall have such other powers as may be prescribed by the Statutes.
Title: The Chief Rector
The Governor of the State of Sikkim shall be the Chief Rector of the University.
Title: Officers of the University
The following shall be the officers of the University:--
(1) the Chancellor;
(2) the Vice-Chancellor;
(3) the Pro-Vice-Chancellor;
(4) the Deans of Schools;
(5) the Registrar;
(6) the Finance Officer;
(7) the Controller of Examinations;
(8) the Librarian; and
(9) such other officers as may be declared by the Statutes to be officers of the University.