Section 11 in The Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Petroleum Technology Act, 2007
Title: Institute to be open to all races, creeds and classes
(1) The Institute shall be open to persons of either sex and of whatever race, creed, caste or class, and no test or condition shall be imposed as to religious belief or profession in admitting students, appointing teachers or employees or in any other connection whatsoever.
(2) No bequest, donation or transfer of any property shall be accepted by the Institute which in the opinion of the Board involves conditions or obligations opposed to the spirit and object of this section.
Title: Teaching at the Institute
All teaching and other academic activities at the Institute shall be conducted by or in the name of the Institute in accordance with the Statutes and the Ordinances made in this behalf.
(1) The President of India shall be the Visitor of the Institute.
(2) The Visitor may appoint one or more persons to review the work and progress of the Institute and to hold inquiries into the affairs thereof and to report thereon in such manner as the Visitor may direct.
(3) Upon receipt of any such report, the Visitor may take such action and issue such directions as he considers necessary in respect of any of the matters dealt with in the report and the Institute shall be bound to comply with such directions.
Title: Authorities of Institute
The following shall be the authorities of the Institute, namely:--
(a) the General Council;
(b) the Board of Governors;
(c) the Senate; and
(d) such other authorities as may be declared by the Statutes to be the authorities of the Institute.
Title: Establishment of General Council
(1) With effect from such date as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint, there shall be established, for the purposes of this Act, a body to be known as the General Council.
(2) The General Council shall consist of the following members, namely:--
(a) the Secretary, Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas in the Central Government, ex officio, who shall be the Chairperson;
(b) the Chairman, Indian Oil Corporation Limited, ex officio;
(c) the Chairman and Managing Director, Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited, ex officio;
(d) the Chairman and Managing Director, Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited, ex officio;
(e) the Chairman and Managing Director, Oil and Natural Gas Corporation, ex officio;
(f) the Chairman and Managing Director, Gas Authority of India Limited, ex officio;
(g) the Chairman and Managing Director, Oil India Limited, ex officio;
(h) the Director General of Hydrocarbons, ex officio;
(i) the Principal Advisor (Energy), Planning Commission, ex officio;
(j) the Executive Director, Oil Industry Safety Directorate, ex officio;
(k) the Director, Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, ex officio;
(l) the Director, University Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai University, ex officio;
(m) the Secretary, Oil Industry Development Board, ex officio;
(n) the President of the Board, ex officio;
(o) the Director of the Institute, ex officio; and
(p) persons, not less than two but not exceeding four, representing the private entities in the field of petroleum sector operating in the country, to be nominated by the Chairperson.
(3) The Registrar of the Institute shall be the ex officio Secretary of the General Council.
(4) The Chairperson shall have the power to invite any person who is not a member of the General Council to attend its meeting but such invitee shall not be entitled to vote.