Section 3 in The Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Petroleum Technology Act, 2007
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires,--
(a) "appointed day" means the date appointed under sub-section (2) of section (1) for coming into force of this Act;
(b) "Board" means the Board of Governors of the Institute constituted under sub-section (1) of section 5;
(c) "Chairperson" means the Chairperson of the General Council;
(d) "Director" means the Director of the Institute appointed under section 20;
(e) "fund" means the fund of the Institute to be maintained under section 24;
(f) "General Council" means the General Council established under sub-section (1) of section 15;
(g) "Institute" means the Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Petroleum Technology incorporated under section 4;
(h) "President" means the President of the Board appointed under clause (a) of sub-section (1) of section 5;
(i) "Registrar" means the Registrar of the Institute referred to in section 21;
(j) "Senate" means the Senate of the Institute referred to in section 17;
(k) "Society" means the Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Petroleum Technology Society, Jais District--Rae Bareli, Uttar Pradesh registered under the Societies Registration Act, 1860 (21 of 1860); and
(l) "Statutes" and "Ordinances" mean, respectively, the Statutes and Ordinances of the Institute made under this Act.
Title: Incorporation of Institute
The Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Petroleum Technology shall be a body corporate having perpetual succession and a common seal with power, subject to the provisions of this Act, to acquire, hold and dispose of property and to contract, and shall, by that name, sue and be sued.
Title: Constitution of Board of Governors
(1) With effect from such date as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint, there shall be constituted by the Central Government for the purposes of this Act, a Board to be known as the Board of Governors consisting of the following members, namely:--
(a) the President to be appointed by the Central Government in such manner as may be provided by the Statutes:
Provided that the first President shall be appointed by the Central Government on such terms and conditions as it deems fit, for a period not exceeding six months from the date the first Statutes comes into force.
(b) the Director of the Institute, ex officio;
(c) two persons from the Board of Directors of the promoting companies to be nominated by the Central Government.
Explanation.-- For the purposes of this clause, promoting companies mean those companies contributing to the endowment fund referred to in section 25;
(d) one Professor of the Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur to be nominated by the Director of that Institute;
(e) five eminent experts in the field of petroleum technology covering the entire hydrocarbon value chain having specialised knowledge or operational experience in respect of education, research, engineering and technology to be nominated by the General Council, in consultation with the Director of the Institute;
(f) two Professors of the Institute to be nominated by the Senate of the Institute; and
(g) one representative of the graduates of the Institute to be nominated by the Executive Committee of the Alumni Association.
(2) The Registrar of the Institute shall act as the Secretary of the Board.
(3) The Board shall ordinarily meet four times during a calendar year.
Title: Term of office of, vacancies among, and allowances payable to, members of Board
(1) Save as otherwise provided in this section, the term of office of the President or any other member of the Board, other than ex officio members shall be three years from the date of his appointment or nomination thereto.
(2) An ex officio member shall cease to be a member of the Board as soon as he vacates the office by virtue of which he is a member of the Board.
(3) The term of a member nominated to fill a casual vacancy shall continue for the remainder of the term of the member in whose place he has been nominated.
(4) Notwithstanding anything contained in this section, an outgoing member shall, unless the Central Government otherwise directs, continue in office until another person is nominated as a member in his place.
(5) The members of the Board shall be entitled to such allowances, if any, from the Institute, as may be provided for in the Statutes, but no member other than the member referred to in clause (f) of section 5 shall be entitled to any salary.
Title: Vesting of properties
On and from the appointed day and subject to the other provisions of this Act, all properties which had vested in the Society immediately before that day, shall, on and from that day, vest in the Institute.