Section 2 in The Airports Economic Regulatory Authority of India Act, 2008
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires,--
(a) "aeronautical service" means any service provided—
(i) for navigation, surveillance and supportive communication thereto for air traffic management;
(ii) for the landing, housing or parking of an aircraft or any other ground facility offered in connection with aircraft operations at an airport;
(iii) for ground safety services at an airport;
(iv) for ground handling services relating to aircraft, passengers and cargo at an airport;
(v) for the cargo facility at an airport;
(vi) for supplying fuel to the aircraft at an airport; and
(vii) for a stake-holder at an airport, for which the charges, in the opinion of the Central Government for the reasons to be recorded in writing, may be determined by the Authority;
(b) "airport" means a landing and taking off area for aircrafts, usually with runways and aircraft maintenance and passenger facilities and includes an aerodrome as defined in clause (2) of section 2 of the Aircraft Act, 1934 (22 of 1934);
(c) "airport user" means any person availing of passenger or cargo facilities at an airport;
1[(d) "Appellate Tribunal" means the Airports Economic Regulatory Authority Appellate Tribunal established under section 17;]
(e) "Authority" means the Airports Economic Regulatory Authority established under sub-section (1) of section 3;
(f) "civil enclave" means an area, if any, allotted at an airport belonging to any armed force of the Union, for use by persons availing of any air transport services from such airport or for the handling of baggage or cargo by such service, and includes land comprising of any building and structure on such area;
(g) "Chairperson" means the Chairperson of the Authority appointed under sub-section (2) of section 4;
(h) "leased airport" means an airport in respect of which a lease has been made under section 12A of the Airports Authority of India Act, 1994 (55 of 1994);
(i) "major airport" means any airport which has, or is designated to have, annual passenger throughput in excess of 2[three and a half million] or any other airport as the Central Government may, by notification, specify as such;
(j) "Member" means a Member of the Authority and includes the Chairperson;
(k) "prescribed" means prescribed by rules made under this Act;
(l) "private airport" has the same meaning as assigned to it in clause (nn) of section 2 of the Airports Authority of India Act, 1994 (55 of 1994);
(m) "regulations" means regulations made by the Authority under this Act;
(n) "service provider" means any person who provides aeronautical services and is eligible to levy and charge user development fees from the embarking passengers at any airport and includes the authority which manages the airport;
(o) "stake-holder" includes a licensee of an airport, airlines operating thereat, a person who provides aeronautical services, and any association of individuals, which in the opinion of the Authority, represents the passenger or cargo facility users;
(p) words and expressions used but not defined in this Act and defined in the Airports Authority of India Act, 1994 (55 of 1994) shall have the same meanings respectively assigned to them in that Act.
1. Subs. by Act 7 of 2017, s. 170, for clause (d) (w.e.f. 26-5-2017).
2. Subs. by Act 27 of 2019, s. 2, for "one and a half million" (w.e.f. 26-9-2019).
Title: Establishment of Authority
(1) The Central Government shall, within three months from the date of commencement of this Act, by notification in the Official Gazette, establish an Authority, to be known as the Airports Economic Regulatory Authority, to exercise the powers conferred on, and the functions assigned to it, by or under this Act.
(2) The Authority shall be a body corporate by the name aforesaid, having perpetual succession and a common seal, with power to acquire, hold and dispose of property, both movable and immovable, and to contract and shall, by the said name, sue or be sued.
(3) The head office of the Authority shall be at such place as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, specify.
Title: Composition of Authority
(1) The Authority shall consist of a Chairperson and two other Members to be appointed by the Central Government:
Provided that whenever the Authority is deciding a matter involving a civil enclave in a defence airfield, there shall be an additional Member, not below the rank of Additional Secretary to the Government of India, to be nominated by the Ministry of Defence
(2) The Chairperson and Members of the Authority shall be appointed by the Central Government from amongst persons of ability and integrity having adequate knowledge of, and professional experience in, aviation, economics, law, commerce or consumer affairs:
Provided that a person who is or has been in the service of Government shall not be appointed as a Member unless such person has held the post of Secretary or Additional Secretary to the Government of India or any equivalent post in the Central or State Government for a total period of not less than three years.
(3) The Chairperson and other Members shall be whole-time Members.
(4) The Chairperson or other Members shall not hold any other office.
(5) The Chairperson shall be the Chief Executive of the Authority.
(6) The Chairperson and other Members of the Authority shall be appointed by the Central Government on the recommendation of Selection Committee referred to in section 5.
Title: Constitution of Selection Committee to recommend Members
(1) The Central Government shall, for the purpose of sub-section (6) of section 4 constitute a Selection Committee consisting of the following, namely:--
(a) Cabinet Secretary --Chairman;
(b) Secretary, in the Ministry of Civil Aviation --Member;
(c) Secretary, Department of Legal Affairs in the Ministry of Law and Justice --Member;
(d) Secretary, in the Ministry of Defence --Member;
(e) One expert to be nominated by the Ministry of Civil Aviation --Member.
(2) The Central Government shall within one month from the date of occurrence of any vacancy by reason of death, resignation or removal of the Chairperson or a Member and six months before the superannuation or end of tenure of the Chairperson or any Member, make a reference to the Selection Committee for filling up of the vacancy.
(3) The Selection Committee shall finalise the selection of the Chairperson and Members within one month from the date on which the reference is made to it.
(4) The Selection Committee shall recommend a panel of two names for every vacancy referred to it.
(5) Before recommending any person for appointment as a Chairperson or other Member of the Authority, the Selection Committee shall satisfy itself that such person does not have any financial or other interest which is likely to affect prejudicially his functions as a Member.
(6) No appointment of the Chairperson or other Member shall be invalid merely by reason of any vacancy in the Selection Committee.
Title: Terms of office and other conditions of service, etc., of Chairperson and Members
(1) The Chairperson and other Members, shall hold office, as such, for a term of five years from the date on which he enters upon his office, but shall not be eligible for re-appointment:
Provided that no Chairperson or other Member shall hold office, as such, after he attains –
(a) in the case of the Chairperson, the age of sixty-five years; and
(b) in the case of any other Member, the age of sixty-two years.
Explanation.--For the purposes of this sub-section, a Member may be appointed as Chairperson of the Authority, but a person who has been the Chairperson shall not be eligible for appointment as a Member.
(2) The salary and allowances payable to, and the other terms and conditions of service of, the Chairperson and other Members shall be such as may be prescribed.
(3) The salary, allowances and other conditions of service of the Chairperson and other Members shall not be varied to their disadvantage after their appointment.
(4) Notwithstanding anything contained in sub-section (1), the Chairperson or any Member may,--
(a) relinquish his office by giving, in writing to the Central Government, a notice of not less than three months; or
(b) be removed from his office in accordance with the provisions of section 8.
(5) The Chairperson or any Member ceasing to hold office, as such, shall—
(a) be ineligible for further employment under the Central Government or any State Government for a period of two years from the date he ceases to hold such office;
(b) not accept any commercial employment including private for a period of two years from the date he ceases to hold such office; or
(c) not represent any person before the Authority in any other manner.
Explanation.--For the purposes of this sub-section,--
(a) "employment under the Central Government or State Government" includes employment under any local or other authority within the territory of India or under the control of the Central Government or State Government or under any corporation or society owned or controlled by the Government.
(b) "commercial employment" means employment in any capacity under, or agency of, a person engaged in trading, commercial, industrial or financial business in any field and includes also a director of a company or partner of a firm and it also includes setting up practice either independently or as partner of a firm or as an adviser or a consultant.