Section 31 in The Jawaharlal Institute of Post-Graduate Medical Education and Research, Puducherry, Act, 2008
Title: Laying of rules and regulations before Parliament
Every rule and every regulation made under this Act shall be laid, as soon as may be after it is made, before each House of Parliament, while it is in session, for a total period of thirty days which may be comprised in one session or in two or more successive sessions, and if, before the expiry of the session immediately following the session or the successive sessions aforesaid, both Houses agree in making any modification in the rule or regulation or both Houses agree that the rule or regulation should not be made, the rule or regulation shall thereafter have effect only in such modified form or be of no effect, as the case may be; so, however, that any such modification or annulment shall be without prejudice to the validity of anything previously done under that rule or regulation.
Title: Power to remove difficulties
(1) If any difficulty arises in giving effect to the provisions of this Act, the Central Government may, by order, published in the Official Gazette, make such provision not inconsistent with the provisions of this Act, as may appear to be necessary for removing the difficulty:
Provided that no such order shall be made under this section, after the expiry of a period of two years from the date of commencement of this Act.
(2) Every order made under this section shall be laid, as soon as may be after it is made, before each House of Parliament.
Title: Short title and commencement.
(1) This Act may be called the Indian Maritime University Act, 2008.
(2) It shall come into force on such date1 as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint.
1. 14th November, 2008, vide Notification No. S.O. 2660(E), dated 14th November, 2008, see Gazette of India, Extraordinary, Part II, sec. 3(ii).
In this Act, and 1[in the Statutes made thereunder], unless the context otherwise requires,--
(a) "Academic Council" means the Academic Council of the University;
(b) "academic staff" means such categories of staff as are designated as academic staff by the Ordinances;
(c) "Board of Affiliation and Recognition" means Board of Affiliation and Recognition of the University;
(d) "Board of Studies" means the Board of Studies of the University;
(e) "Campus" means the unit established or constituted by the University for making arrangements for instruction, research, education and training;
(f) "Certificate of Competency" means a certificate issued by the competent authority under the Merchant Shipping Act, 1958 (44 of 1958);
(g) "Chancellor", "Vice-Chancellor" and "Pro-Vice-Chancellor" mean, respectively, the Chancellor, Vice-Chancellor and Pro-Vice-Chancellor of the University;
(h) "College" means a college maintained by or admitted to the privileges of the University for imparting education and training in maritime studies or in its associated disciplines;
(i) "Court" means the Court of the University;
(j) "Department" means a Department of Studies; and includes a Centre of Studies;
(k) "Director-General" means the Director-General of Shipping appointed by the Government of India under section 7 of the Merchant Shipping Act, 1958 (44 of 1958);
(l) "Distance Education System" means the system of imparting education through any means of communication, such as broadcasting, telecasting, correspondence courses, seminars, contact programmes, e-learning or the combination of any two or more such means;
(m) "Employee" means any person appointed by the University and includes teachers and other staff including deputationists of the University;
(n) "Executive Council" means the Executive Council of the University;
(o) "Finance Committee" means the Finance Committee of the University;
(p) "Governing Body" in relation to a college or an institution, means the Governing Body or any other body, by whatever name called, charged with the management of the affairs of such college or institution, as the case may be, and recognised as such by the University;
(q) "Hall" means a unit of residence for the students of the University, or of a College or an Institution, maintained by the University;
(r) "Institution" means an institution, school, college or centre of studies maintained by or admitted to the privileges of the University for imparting education and training in maritime studies or in its associated disciplines;
(s) "Notification" means a notification published in the Official Gazette;
(t) "Off-shore Campus" means an institution, college, centre, school or campus of the University, that could be established outside the country;
(u) "Planning Board" means the Planning Board of the University;
(v) "Principal" means the head of a college or an institution;
(w) "Recognised Institution" means an institution admitted to the privileges of the University for imparting education in maritime studies or its associated disciplines;
(x) "Recognised teachers" means such persons as are recognised by the University for the purpose of imparting instructions in a college or an institution admitted to the privileges of the University;
(y) "School" means a School of Studies of the University;
(z) "Statutes", Ordinances and Regulations mean, respectively, the Statutes, the Ordinances and the Regulations made under this Act;
(za) "University" means the Indian Maritime University established under this Act;
(zb) "teachers of the University" means Professors, Associate Professors, Assistant Professors, Readers, Senior Lecturers, Lecturers and such other persons as may be appointed for imparting instruction or conducting research in the University or in any college or institution maintained by the University; and
(zc) "University Grants Commission" means the commission established under section 4 of the University Grants Commission Act, 1956 (3 of 1956).
1 . Subs. by Act 19 of 2015, s. 3 and Second Sch., for "in all Statutes made thereunder" (w.e.f. 14-5-2008).
Title: The University
(1) There shall be established a University by the name of Indian Maritime University.
(2) The headquarters of the University shall be at Chennai with its campuses at Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Vishakhapatnam and such other places within its jurisdiction as it may deem fit.
(3) The first Chancellor, the first Vice-Chancellor, the first members of the Court, the Executive Council, the Academic Council, the Planning Board and all persons who may hereafter become such officers or members, so long as they continue to hold such office or membership, shall constitute the University.
(4) The University shall have perpetual succession and a common seal and shall sue and be sued by the said name.
(5) The University shall be both, a teaching and an affiliating University.