Section 4 in The Jawaharlal Institute of Post-Graduate Medical Education and Research, Puducherry, Act, 2008
Title: Incorporation of Institute
The Jawaharlal Institute of Post-Graduate Medical Education and Research, Puducherry, an Institute functioning under the Union Ministery of Health and Family Welfare, is hereby constituted a body corporate by the name aforesaid and as such body corporate, it shall have perpetual succession and a common seal with power, subject to the provisions of this Act, to acquire, hold and dispose of property and to contract and shall, by that name, sue and be sued.
Title: Composition of Institute.
(1) The Institute shall consist of the following members, namely:--
(a) Secretary to the Government of India in the Ministry or Department of Health and Family Welfare, ex officio;
(b) the Vice-Chancellor of the Puducherry University, ex officio;
(c) the Vice-Chancellor of the Tamil Nadu Dr. M.G.R. Medical University,Tamil Nadu, ex officio;
(d) the Director-General of Health Services, Government of India, ex officio;
(e) the Director of the Institute, ex officio;
(f) Chief Secretary, Government of Puducherry, ex officio;
(g) Secretary to the Government of India or his nominee (not below the rank of Joint Secretary) in the Department of Expenditure, Ministry of Finance, ex officio;
(h) Secretary to the Government of India or his nominee (not below the rank of Joint Secretary) in the Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resource Development, ex officio;
(i) seven persons of whom one shall be a non-medical scientist representing the Indian Science Congress Association, to be nominated by the Central Government in such manner as may be prescribed;
(j) four representatives of the medical faculties of Indian Universities to be nominated by the Central Government in such manner as may be prescribed; and
(k) three Members of Parliament of whom two shall be elected from among themselves by the members of the House of the People and one from among themselves by the members of the Council of States.
(2) It is hereby declared that the office of member of the Institute shall not disqualify its holder for being chosen as, or for being, a member of either House of Parliament.
Title: Term of office of, and vacancies among members
(1) Save as otherwise provided in this section, the term of office of a member shall be five years from the date of his nomination or election.
(2) The term of office of a member elected under clause (k) of sub-section (1) of section 5 shall come to an end as soon as he becomes a Minister or Minister of State or Deputy Minister or the Speaker or the Deputy Speaker of Lok Sabha or the Deputy Chairman of Rajya Sabha or ceases to be a member of the House from which he was elected.
(3) The term of office of an ex officio member shall continue so long as he holds the office by virtue of which he is such a member.
(4) The term of office of a member nominated or elected to fill a casual vacancy shall continue for the remainder of the term of the member in whose place he is nominated or elected.(5) An out-going member other than a member elected under clause (k) of sub-section (1) of section 5 shall continue in office until another person is nominated as a member in his place or for a period of three months, whichever is earlier:
Provided that the Central Government shall nominate a member in place of an out-going member within the said period of three months.
(6) An out-going member shall be eligible for re-nomination or re-election.
(7) A member may resign his office by writing under his hand addressed to the Central Government but he shall continue in office until his resignation is accepted by that Government.
(8) The manner of filling vacancies among members shall be such as may be prescribed.
Title: President of Institute, his powers and functions
(1) There shall be a President of the Institute who shall be nominated by the Central Government from among the members other than the Director of the Institute.
(2) The President shall exercise such powers and discharge such functions as are laid down in this Act or as may be prescribed.
Title: Allowances of President and members
The President and other members shall receive such allowances from the Institute as may be prescribed.