Section 4 in The National Investigation Agency Act, 2008
Title: Superintendence of National Investigation Agency
(1) The superintendence of the Agency shall vest in the Central Government.
(2) The administration of the Agency shall vest in an officer designated as the Director-General appointed in this behalf by the Central Government who shall exercise in respect of the Agency such of the powers exercisable by a Director-General of Police in respect of the police force in a State, as the Central Government may specify in this behalf.
Title: Manner of constitution of Agency and conditions of service of members
Subject to the provisions of this Act, the Agency shall be constituted in such manner as may be prescribed and the conditions of service of persons employed in the Agency shall be such as may be prescribed.
Title: Investigation of Scheduled Offences
(1) On receipt of information and recording thereof under section 154 of the Code relating to any Scheduled Offence the officer-in-charge of the police station shall forward the report to the State Government forthwith.
(2) On receipt of the report under sub-section (1), the State Government shall forward the report to the Central Government as expeditiously as possible.
(3) On receipt of report from the State Government, the Central Government shall determine on the basis of information made available by the State Government or received from other sources, within fifteen days from the date of receipt of the report, whether the offence is a Scheduled Offence or not and also whether, having regard to the gravity of the offence and other relevant factors, it is a fit case to be investigated by the Agency.
(4) Where the Central Government is of the opinion that the offence is a Scheduled Offence and it is a fit case to be investigated by the Agency, it shall direct the Agency to investigate the said offence.
(5) Notwithstanding anything contained in this section, if the Central Government is of the opinion that a Scheduled Offence has been committed which is required to be investigated under this Act, it may, suo motu, direct the Agency to investigate the said offence.
(6) Where any direction has been given under sub-section (4) or sub-section (5), the State Government and any police officer of the State Government investigating the offence shall not proceed with the investigation and shall forthwith transmit the relevant documents and records to the Agency.
(7) For the removal of doubts, it is hereby declared that till the Agency takes up the investigation of the case, it shall be the duty of the officer-in-charge of the police station to continue the investigation.
1[(8) Where the Central Government is of the opinion that a Scheduled Offence has been committed at any place outside India to which this act extends, it may direct the Agency to register the case and take up investigation as if such offence has been committed in India.br
(9) For the purposes of sub-section (8), the Special Court at New Delhi shall have the jurisdiction.]
1. Ins. by Act 16 of 2019, s. 5 (w.e.f. 2-8-2019).
Title: Power to transfer investigation to State Government
While investigating any offence under this Act, the Agency, having regard to the gravity of the offence and other relevant factors, may—
(a) if it is expedient to do so, request the State Government to associate itself with the investigation; or
(b) with the previous approval of the Central Government, transfer the case to the State Government for investigation and trial of the offence.
Title: Power to investigate connected offences
While investigating any Scheduled Offence, the Agency may also investigate any other offence which the accused is alleged to have committed if the offence is connected with the Scheduled Offence.