Section 2 in The National Investigation Agency Act, 2008
(1) In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires,--
(a) "Agency" means the National Investigation Agency constituted under section 3;
(b) "Code" means the Code of Criminal Procedure 1973 (2 of 1974);
(c) "High Court" means the High Court within whose jurisdiction the Special Court is situated;
(d) "prescribed" means prescribed by rules;
(e) "Public Prosecutor" means a Public Prosecutor or an Additional Public Prosecutor or a Special Public Prosecutor appointed under section 15;
(f) "Schedule" means the Schedule to this Act;
(g) "Scheduled Offence" means an offence specified in the Schedule;
(h) "Special Court" means 1[a Court of Session designated as Special Court] under section 11 or, as the case may be, under section 22;
(i) words and expressions used but not defined in this Act and defined in the Code shall have the meanings respectively assigned to them in the Code.
(2) Any reference in this Act to any enactment or any provision thereof shall, in relation to an area in which such enactment or such provision is not in force, be construed as a reference to the corresponding law or the relevant provision of the corresponding law, if any, in force in that area.
1. Subs. by s. 3, ibid., for "a Special Court Constituted" (w.e.f. 2-8-2019).
Title: Constitution of National Investigation Agency
(1) Notwithstanding anything in the Police Act, 1861 (5 of 1861), the Central Government may constitute a special agency to be called the National Investigation Agency for investigation and prosecution of offences under the Acts specified in the Schedule.
(2) Subject to any orders which the Central Government may make in this behalf, officers of the Agency shall have throughout India 1[and, subject to any international treaty or domestic law of the concerned country, outside India] in relation to the investigation of Scheduled Offences and arrest of persons concerned in such offences, all the powers, duties, privileges and liabilities which police officers have in connection with the investigation of offences committed therein.
(3) Any officer of the Agency of, or above, the rank of Sub-Inspector may, subject to any orders which the Central Government may make in this behalf, exercise throughout India, any of the powers of the officer-in-charge of a police station in the area in which he is present for the time being and when so exercising such powers shall, subject to any such orders as aforesaid, be deemed to be an officer-incharge of a police station discharging the functions of such an officer within the limits of his station.
1. Ins. by Act 16 of 2019, s. 4 (w.e.f. 2-8-2019).
Title: Superintendence of National Investigation Agency
(1) The superintendence of the Agency shall vest in the Central Government.
(2) The administration of the Agency shall vest in an officer designated as the Director-General appointed in this behalf by the Central Government who shall exercise in respect of the Agency such of the powers exercisable by a Director-General of Police in respect of the police force in a State, as the Central Government may specify in this behalf.
Title: Manner of constitution of Agency and conditions of service of members
Subject to the provisions of this Act, the Agency shall be constituted in such manner as may be prescribed and the conditions of service of persons employed in the Agency shall be such as may be prescribed.
Title: Investigation of Scheduled Offences
(1) On receipt of information and recording thereof under section 154 of the Code relating to any Scheduled Offence the officer-in-charge of the police station shall forward the report to the State Government forthwith.
(2) On receipt of the report under sub-section (1), the State Government shall forward the report to the Central Government as expeditiously as possible.
(3) On receipt of report from the State Government, the Central Government shall determine on the basis of information made available by the State Government or received from other sources, within fifteen days from the date of receipt of the report, whether the offence is a Scheduled Offence or not and also whether, having regard to the gravity of the offence and other relevant factors, it is a fit case to be investigated by the Agency.
(4) Where the Central Government is of the opinion that the offence is a Scheduled Offence and it is a fit case to be investigated by the Agency, it shall direct the Agency to investigate the said offence.
(5) Notwithstanding anything contained in this section, if the Central Government is of the opinion that a Scheduled Offence has been committed which is required to be investigated under this Act, it may, suo motu, direct the Agency to investigate the said offence.
(6) Where any direction has been given under sub-section (4) or sub-section (5), the State Government and any police officer of the State Government investigating the offence shall not proceed with the investigation and shall forthwith transmit the relevant documents and records to the Agency.
(7) For the removal of doubts, it is hereby declared that till the Agency takes up the investigation of the case, it shall be the duty of the officer-in-charge of the police station to continue the investigation.
1[(8) Where the Central Government is of the opinion that a Scheduled Offence has been committed at any place outside India to which this act extends, it may direct the Agency to register the case and take up investigation as if such offence has been committed in India.br
(9) For the purposes of sub-section (8), the Special Court at New Delhi shall have the jurisdiction.]
1. Ins. by Act 16 of 2019, s. 5 (w.e.f. 2-8-2019).