Section 6 in The Limited Liability Partnership Act, 2008
Title: Minimum number of partners
(1) Every limited liability partnership shall have at least two partners.
(2) If at any time the number of partners of a limited liability partnership is reduced below two and the limited liability partnership carries on business for more than six months while the number is so reduced, the person, who is the only partner of the limited liability partnership during the time that it so carries on business after those six months and has the knowledge of the fact that it is carrying on business with him alone, shall be liable personally for the obligations of the limited liability partnership incurred during that period.
Title: Designated partners
(1) Every limited liability partnership shall have at least two designated partners who are individuals and at least one of them shall be a resident in India:
Provided that in case of a limited liability partnership in which all the partners are bodies corporate or in which one or more partners are individuals and bodies corporate, at least two individuals who are partners of such limited liability partnership or nominees of such bodies corporate shall act as designated partners.
Explanation.--For the purposes of this section, the term "resident in India" means a person who has stayed in India for a period of not less than one hundred and eighty-two days during the immediately preceding one year.
(2) Subject to the provisions of sub-section (1),--
(i) if the incorporation document—
(a) specifies who are to be designated partners, such persons shall be designated partners on incorporation; or
(b) states that each of the partners from time to time of limited liability partnership is to be designated partner, every such partner shall be a designated partner;
(ii) any partner may become a designated partner by and in accordance with the limited liability partnership agreement and a partner may cease to be a designated partner in accordance with limited liability partnership agreement.
(3) An individual shall not become a designated partner in any limited liability partnership unless he has given his prior consent to act as such to the limited liability partnership in such form and manner as may be prescribed.
(4) Every limited liability partnership shall file with the registrar the particulars of every individual who has given his consent to act as designated partner in such form and manner as may be prescribed within thirty days of his appointment.
(5) An individual eligible to be a designated partner shall satisfy such conditions and requirements as may be prescribed.
(6) Every designated partner of a limited liability partnership shall obtain a Designated Partner Identification Number (DPIN) from the Central Government and the provisions of sections 266A to 266G (both inclusive) of the Companies Act, 1956 (1 of 1956) shall apply mutatis mutandis for the said purpose.
Title: Liabilities of designated partners
Unless expressly provided otherwise in this Act, a designated partner shall be—
(a) responsible for the doing of all acts, matters and things as are required to be done by the limited liability partnership in respect of compliance of the provisions of this Act including filing of any document, return, statement and the like report pursuant to the provisions of this Act and as may be specified in the limited liability partnership agreement; and
(b) liable to all penalties imposed on the limited liability partnership for any contravention of those provisions.
Title: Changes in designated partners
A limited liability partnership may appoint a designated partner within thirty days of a vacancy arising for any reason and provisions of sub-section (4) and sub-section (5) of section 7 shall apply in respect of such new designated partner:
Provided that if no designated partner is appointed, or if at any time there is only one designated partner, each partner shall be deemed to be a designated partner.
Title: Punishment for contravention of sections 7, 8 and 9
(1) If the limited liability partnership contravenes the provisions of sub-section (1) of section 7, the limited liability partnership and its every partner shall be punishable with fine which shall not be less than ten thousand rupees but which may extend to five lakh rupees.
(2) If the limited liability partnership contravenes the provisions of sub-section (4) and sub-section (5) of section 7, section 8 or section 9, the limited liability partnership and its every partner shall be punishable with fine which shall not be less than ten thousand rupees but which may extend to one lakh rupees