Section 34 in The Collection of Statistics Act, 2008
Title: Repeal and savings
(1) The Collection of Statistics Act, 1953 (32 of 1953) is hereby repealed.
(2) Notwithstanding such repeal, anything done or any action taken under the said Act shall be deemed to have been done or taken under the corresponding provisions of this Act.
(3) All rules made under the said Act shall continue to be in force and operate till new rules are made under this Act.
Title: Short title, extent and commencement.
(1) This Act may be called the Gram Nyayalayas Act, 2008.
(2) It extends to the whole of India 1***, the State of Nagaland, the State of Arunachal Pradesh, the State of Sikkim and to the tribal areas.
Explanation.-- In this sub-section, the expression "tribal areas" means the areas specified in Parts I, II, IIA and III of the Table below paragraph 20 of the Sixth Schedule to the Constitution within the State of Assam, the State of Meghalaya, the State of Tripura and the State of Mizoram, respectively.
(3) It shall come into force on such date2 as the Central Government may, by notification published in the Official Gazette, appoint; and different dates may be appointed for different States.
1. The words "except the State of Jammu and Kashmir" omitted by Act 34 of 2019, s. 95 and the Fifth Schedule (w.e.f. 31-10- 2019).
2. 2nd October, 2009, vide notification No. S.O. 2313(E), dated 11th November, 2009, see Gazette of India, Extraordinary, Part II, sec. 3(ii).
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires,--
(a) "Gram Nyayalaya" means a court established under sub-section (1) of section 3;
(b) "Gram Panchayat" means an institution (by whatever name called) of self-government constituted, at the village level, under article 243B of the Constitution, for the rural areas;
(c) "High Court" means,--
(i) in relation to any State, the High Court for that State;
(ii) in relation to a Union territory to which the jurisdiction of the High Court for a State has been extended by law, that High Court;
(iii) in relation to any other Union territory, the highest Court of criminal appeal for that territory other than the Supreme Court of India;
(d) "notification" means a notification published in the Official Gazette and the expression "notified" shall be construed accordingly;
(e) "Nyayadhikari" means the presiding officer of a Gram Nyayalaya appointed under section 5;
(f) "Panchayat at intermediate level" means an institution (by whatever name called) of selfgovernment constituted, at the intermediate level, under article 243B of the Constitution, for the rural areas in accordance with the provisions of Part IX of the Constitution;
(g) "prescribed" means prescribed by rules made under this Act;
(h) "Schedule" means the Schedule appended to this Act;
(i) "State Government", in relation to a Union territory, means the administrator thereof appointed under article 239 of the Constitution;
(j) words and expressions used herein and not defined but defined in the Code of Civil Procedure, 1908 (5 of 1908) or the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973 (2 of 1974) shall have the meanings respectively assigned to them in those Codes.
Title: Establishment of Gram Nyayalayas
(1) For the purpose of exercising the jurisdiction and powers conferred on a Gram Nyayalaya by this Act, the State Government, after consultation with the High Court, may, by notification, establish one or more Gram Nyayalayas for every Panchayat at intermediate level or a group of contiguous Panchayats at intermediate level in a district or where there is no Panchayat at intermediate level in any State, for a group of contiguous Gram Panchayats.
(2) The State Government shall, after consultation with the High Court, specify, by notification, the local limits of the area to which the jurisdiction of a Gram Nyayalaya shall extend and may, at any time, increase, reduce or alter such limits.
(3) The Gram Nyayalayas established under sub-section (1) shall be in addition to the courts established under any other law for the time being in force.
Title: Headquarters of Gram Nyayalayas
The headquarters of every Gram Nyayalaya shall be located at the headquarters of the intermediate Panchayat in which the Gram Nyayalaya is established or such other place as may be notified by the State Government.