Section 31 in The Collection of Statistics Act, 2008
Title: Protection of action taken in good faith
No suit or other legal proceedings shall lie against the appropriate Government or agency or any statistics officer or other officers or employees in respect of anything which is in good faith done or intended to be done in pursuance of this Act or the rules or directions issued thereunder.
Title: Overriding effect
The provisions of this Act shall have effect notwithstanding anything inconsistent therewith contained in any other law for the time being in force except in relation to the conduct of human population census as per the directions, if any, issued under the Census Act, 1948 (37 of 1948).
Title: Power to make rules
(1) The Central Government may, 1[subject to the condition of previous publication] by notification in the Official Gazette, make rules for carrying out the provisions of this Act.
(2) In particular, and without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing power, the Central Government may make rules under this section for all or any of the following matters, namely:--
(a) principles for coordinating as effectively as possible to achieve the objectives of section 3 including nomination and registration of statistics officers by the Central Government and also to avoid unnecessary duplication in the collection of statistics;
1[(aa) the coordination and supervision of statistical activities by the nodal officer and the powers and duties of the nodal officer under sub-section (2) of section 3A;];
(b) the terms, conditions and safeguards under which any person or agency or company or organisation or association may be engaged by the appropriate Government for the purpose of collection of statistics under sub-section (3) of section 4;
(c) principles for prescribing the form and manner in which the information may be required to be furnished;
(d) principles for prescribing the manner in which the right of access to documents and the right of entry conferred by section 8 may be exercised; and
1[(da) the manner of use of information under sub-section (1) of section 9;] and
(e) any other matter which is to be or may be prescribed under this Act.
(3) Every rule made by the Central Government under this Act shall be laid, as soon as may be after it is made, before each House of Parliament, while it is in session, for a total period of thirty days which may be comprised in one session or in two or more successive sessions, and if, before the expiry of the session immediately following the session or the successive sessions aforesaid, both Houses agree in making any modification in the rule or both Houses agree that the rule should not be made, the rule shall thereafter have effect only in such modified form or be of no effect, as the case may be; so, however, that any such modification or annulment shall be without prejudice to the validity of anything previously done under that rule.
1. Ins. by Act 21 of 2017, s. 6 (w.e.f. 3-10-2017).
Title: Repeal and savings
(1) The Collection of Statistics Act, 1953 (32 of 1953) is hereby repealed.
(2) Notwithstanding such repeal, anything done or any action taken under the said Act shall be deemed to have been done or taken under the corresponding provisions of this Act.
(3) All rules made under the said Act shall continue to be in force and operate till new rules are made under this Act.
Title: Short title, extent and commencement.
(1) This Act may be called the Gram Nyayalayas Act, 2008.
(2) It extends to the whole of India 1***, the State of Nagaland, the State of Arunachal Pradesh, the State of Sikkim and to the tribal areas.
Explanation.-- In this sub-section, the expression "tribal areas" means the areas specified in Parts I, II, IIA and III of the Table below paragraph 20 of the Sixth Schedule to the Constitution within the State of Assam, the State of Meghalaya, the State of Tripura and the State of Mizoram, respectively.
(3) It shall come into force on such date2 as the Central Government may, by notification published in the Official Gazette, appoint; and different dates may be appointed for different States.
1. The words "except the State of Jammu and Kashmir" omitted by Act 34 of 2019, s. 95 and the Fifth Schedule (w.e.f. 31-10- 2019).
2. 2nd October, 2009, vide notification No. S.O. 2313(E), dated 11th November, 2009, see Gazette of India, Extraordinary, Part II, sec. 3(ii).