Section 31 in The South Asian University Act, 2008
Title: Statutes and Regulations and bye-laws to be published in Official Gazette and to be laid before Parliament.
(1) The Statutes, Regulations and bye-laws made under this Act shall be published in the Official Gazette.
(2) Every Statute, Regulation or bye-law made under this Act shall be laid, as soon as may be after it is made, before each House of Parliament.
Title: Power to remove difficulties
(1) If any difficulty arises in giving effect to the provisions of this Act, the Central Government may, by order published in the Official Gazette, make such provisions, not inconsistent with the provisions of this Act, as appear to it to be necessary or expedient for removing the difficulty:
Provided that no such order shall be made under this section after the expiry of the period of three years from the commencement of this Act.
(2) Every order made under sub-section (1) shall be laid, as soon as may be after it is made, before each House of Parliament.
Title: Short title, extent and commencement.
(1) This Act may be called the National Jute Board Act, 2008.
(2) It extends to the whole of India.
(3) It shall come into force on such date as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint.
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires,--
(a) "appointed day" means such date as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint for the purpose of section 3;
(b) "Board" means the National Jute Board constituted under section 3;
(c) "Chairperson" means the Chairperson of the Board;
(d) "Council" means the Jute Manufactures Development Council established under section 3 of the Jute Manufactures Development Council Act, 1983 (27 of 1983);
(e) "Jute" means the plants of jute, kenaf and mesta;
(f) "jute manufacture" shall have the same meaning as assigned to it in the Jute Manufactures Cess Act, 1983(28 of 1983);
(g) "member" means a member of the Board and includes the Chairperson;
(h) "prescribed" means prescribed by rules made under this Act;
(i) "regulations" means regulations made by the Board under this Act;
(j) "Society" means the National Centre for Jute Diversification, a society set up by the Central Government in the Ministry of Textiles and registered under the Societies Registration Act,1860 (21 of 1860);
(k) "year" means the year commencing on the 1st day of April and ending on the 31st day of March next following.
Title: Constitution and incorporation of Board.
(1) With effect from the appointed day, the Central Government shall, by notification in the Official Gazette, constitute, for the purposes of this Act, a Board to be called the National Jute Board.
(2) The Board shall be a body corporate by the name aforesaid, having perpetual succession and a common seal, with power to acquire, hold and dispose of property, both movable and immovable, and to contract, and shall by the said name sue and be sued.
(3) The head office of the Board shall be at Kolkata in the State of West Bengal or such other place as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, specify and the Board may, with the previous approval of the Central Government, establish offices or agencies at other places in or outside India.
(4) The Board shall consist of the following members, namely:--
(a) the Secretary in charge of the ministry of the Central Government dealing with textiles, who shall be the ex officio Chairperson of the Board;
(b) three Members of Parliament of whom two shall be elected from among themselves by the members of the House of the People and one from among themselves by the members of the Council of States;
(c) the Additional Secretary and Financial Adviser, Ministry of Textiles, Government of India, ex officio;
(d) the Joint Secretary (Jute) in the Ministry of Textiles, Government of India, ex officio;
(e) two members of the rank of Joint Secretary to be nominated by the Central Government to represent respectively the ministries of the Central Government dealing with—
(i) agriculture, and
(ii) food and public distribution;
(f) three members to be nominated by the Central Government by rotation in the alphabetical order to represent respectively the Governments of the States of Andhra Pradesh, Assam, Bihar, Meghalaya, Orissa, Tripura and West Bengal; the nomination shall be from officials of the State Government holding the rank of Secretary to the State Government and dealing with Jute or Textile matters;
(g) three members of jute farmers of which one from State of West Bengal and two from other States on rotational basis to be nominated by the Central Government;
(h) three members of jute workers of which one from State of West Bengal and two from other States nominated by the Central Government on rotational basis;
(i) two experts from the field of jute technology and related field to be nominated by the Central Government;
(j) two members from the "micro enterprises", "small enterprises" and "medium enterprises" dealing in jute industry to be nominated by the Central Government.
Explanation.--For the purpose of this clause, the expressions "medium enterprise", "micro enterprise" and "small enterprise" shall have the meanings respectively assigned to them in clause (g), clause (h) and clause (m) of section 2 of the Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises Development Act, 2006 (27 of 2006);
(k) two members to be appointed by the Central Government to represent the jute industry in the organised sector;
(l) two members to be appointed by the Central Government to represent the jute industry in the decentralised sector;
(m) two members to be appointed by the Central Government to represent the exporters of jute products;
(n) the Director, Indian Jute Industries Research Association, ex officio;
(o) the Principal, Institute of Jute Technology, ex officio;
(p) the Director, National Institute of Research on Jute and Allied Fibre Technology, Kolkata, ex officio;
(q) the Director, Central Research Institute for Jute and Allied Fibres, ex officio;
(r) the Chairman and Managing Director, Jute Corporation of India, ex officio;
(s) the Jute Commissioner, ex officio;
(t) the Secretary, National Jute Board, who shall be the ex officio Member-Secretary of the Board.
(5) The term of office of the members, other than the ex officio members, and the manner of filling vacancies among, and the procedure to be followed in the discharge of their functions by, such members shall be as may be prescribed.
(6) The office of members of the Board shall not disqualify its holder for being chosen as, or for being a member of either House of Parliament.
(7) The Chairperson shall, in addition to presiding over the meetings of the Board, exercise and discharge such powers and duties of the Board as may be assigned to him by the Board and such other powers and duties as may be prescribed.
(8) The Board shall elect from among its members a Vice-Chairperson who shall exercise such of the powers and perform such of the functions of the Chairperson as may be prescribed or as may be delegated to him by the Chairperson.
(9) The Board shall meet at such times and places and shall observe such procedure in regard to the transaction of business at its meetings (including the quorum at meetings) as may be determined by regulations.