Section 17 in The South Asian University Act, 2008
Title: Academic Council
(1) The Academic Council shall be the principal academic body of the University and shall, subject to the provisions of this Act, the Statutes and Regulations, co-ordinate and exercise general supervision over the academic policies of the University.
(2) The constitution of the Academic Council, the term of office of its members and its powers and functions shall be such as may be prescribed by the Statutes.
Title: Constitution of other authorities
The constitution of the authorities under clause (c) of section 15, the terms of the office of the members of such authorities and their powers and duties shall be such as may be prescribed by the Statutes.
Title: Faculties and Departments
(1) The University shall have such faculties as may be prescribed by the Statutes.
(2) Each Faculty shall have such Departments or Schools of Studies as are prescribed by the Statutes, and each Department or Schools of Studies shall have such subjects of study as may be assigned to it by Regulations.
(1) Subject to the provisions of this Act, the Statutes may provide for all or any of the following matters, namely:--
(a) powers of the Visitor;
(b) powers of the Chairperson of the Governing Board;
(c) manner of appointment of the President and its powers;
(d) the constitution, powers and functions of the Executive Council, Academic Council and other authorities and bodies of the University;
(e) categories of academic staff;
(f) appointment of teachers, academic staff and other employees of the University;
(g) establishment of faculties of the University;
(h) the conditions under which institution may be admitted to the privileges of the University and the withdrawal of such privileges;
(i) the conferment of honorary degrees;
(j) delegation of powers vested in the authorities or officers of the University;
(k) setting up of a machinery for redressal of grievances between employees or the students and the University; and
(l) all other matters which by this Act are to be or may be provided for by the Statutes.
(2) The First Statutes shall be those as may be made for the operation of the University by the Inter-Governmental Steering Committee of the SAARC.
(3) The Governing Board may, from time to time, make new or additional Statutes or may amend or repeal the Statutes referred to in sub-section (2):
Provided that the Governing Board shall not make, amend or repeal any Statute affecting the status, powers or constitution of any authority of the University until such authority has been given an opportunity of expressing an opinion in writing on the proposed changes, and any opinion so expressed has been considered by the Governing Board.
(1) Subject to the provisions of this Act and the Statutes, the Regulations may provide for all or any of the following matters, namely:--
(a) the admission and enrolment of students to the University and institutions maintained by, or admitted to, the privileges of the University;
(b) the courses of study to be laid down for all degrees, diplomas and certificates of the University;
(c) the medium of instruction and examination;
(d) the award of degrees, diplomas, certificates and other academic distinctions, the qualifications for the same and the means to be taken relating to the granting and obtaining of the same;
(e) the fees to be charged for courses of study in the University and for admission to the examinations, degrees and diplomas of the University;
(f) the institution of, and conditions for award of, fellowships, scholarships, studentships and prizes;
(g) the conduct of examinations, including the term of office and manner of appointment and the duties of examining bodies, examiners and moderators;
(h) the conditions of residence of students of the University;
(i) the special arrangements, if any, which may be made for the residence, discipline and teaching of women students and the prescribing of special courses of studies for them;
(j) the establishment of Centres, University Institutes, Departments, Schools of Studies, Boards of Studies, specialised laboratories and Committees;
(k) the creation, composition and functions of any other body which is considered necessary for improving the academic life of the University;
(l) the manner of co-operation and collaboration with other Universities, institutions and other bodies or associations; and
(m) all other matters which by this Act or the Statutes are to be or may be provided for by the Regulations.
(2) The First Regulations shall be made by the Chief Executive Officer of the Project Office with the prior approval of the Inter-Governmental Steering Committee and the Regulations so made may be amended, repealed or added to any time by the Governing Board in the manner prescribed by the Statutes.