Section 1 in The South Asian University Act, 2008
Title: Short title, extent and commencement.
(1) This Act may be called the South Asian University Act, 2008.
(2) It extends to the whole of India and to campuses and centres established outside India in the SAARC region.
(3) It shall come into force on such date as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint and different dates may be appointed for different provisions of this Act.
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires,--
(a) "Academic Council" means the Academic Council of the University;
(b) "academic staff" means such categories of staff as are designated as academic staff by the Statutes;
(c) "Agreement" means the Agreement for the establishment of the South Asian University;
(d) "bye-laws" means the bye-laws of the University;
(e) "Centre" means a unit of the University or of a University Institute providing teaching, consultancy and research facilities and includes a Regional Centre;
(f) "employee" means any person appointed by the University and includes teachers and other staff of the University;
(g) "Executive Council" means the Executive Council of the University;
(h) "Faculty" means a Faculty of the University;
(i) "Governing Board" means a Governing Board of the University constituted under section 6;
(j) "Hall" means a unit of residence, by whatever name called, for students of the University provided, maintained or recognised by it;
(k) "Host Country" means the Republic of India;
(l) "Host Government" means the Government of the Host Country;
(m) "Member States" means the Member States of the SAARC;
(n) "prescribed" means prescribed by Statutes, Regulations or bye-laws;
(o) "President" means the President of the University appointed under section 12;
(p) "Project Office" means the project office set up for the purpose of carrying out necessary tasks for establishing the main campus of the University;
(q) "Recognised institution" means an institution of higher learning maintained or recognised by, or associated with, the University;
(r) "Regional Centre" means a centre established or maintained by the University at any place in the SAARC region for the purpose of coordinating and supervising the work of campuses or centres in such region and for performing such functions as may be conferred on such centre by the Governing Board;
(s) "Regulations" means the Regulations of the University;
(t) "SAARC" means an organisation known as the South Asian Association for Regional Co-operation established by the Charter of the South Asian Association for Regional Co-operation signed on eighth day of December, 1985;
(u) "SAARC region" means the region comprising the territories of the Member States;
(v) "Schedule" means the Schedule of the Act;
(w) "Statutes" means the Statutes of the University;
(x) "teacher" means professor, reader, lecturer and research staff of the University appointed or recognised by the University for imparting instructions in the University or for giving guidance to students for pursuing any course of study of the University; and
(y) "University" means the South Asian University incorporated under section 4.
Title: Provisions of Agreement to have force of law
Notwithstanding anything contrary contained in any other law, the provisions of the Agreement set out in the Schedule shall have the force of law in India.
Title: Incorporation of South Asian University
(1) With effect from such date as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint in this behalf, there shall be established, for the purposes of giving effect to provisions of the Agreement, a University to be called as South Asian University.
(2) The University shall be a body corporate having perpetual succession and a common seal and shall sue and be sued by the said name.
(3) The Headquarters of the University shall be at Delhi.
(4) The University may establish or maintain campuses and centres at such other places within India and outside India in the SAARC region as it may deem fit.
The jurisdiction of the University shall extend to whole of India and to campuses and centres established outside India in the SAARC region:
Provided that where the University establishes and maintains any campus or centre outside India at any place in the SAARC region, then the jurisdiction of the University shall extend to such campus or centre, subject to the provision of the Agreement and laws in force in any of the Member States within which such campus or centre is situated.