Section 16 in The Science and Engineering Research Board Act, 2008
Title: Power of Central Government to issue directions
(1) Without prejudice to the foregoing provisions of this Act, the Board shall, in the discharge of its functions and duties under this Act, be bound by such directions on questions of policy as the Central Government may give in writing to it from time to time:
Provided that the Board shall, as far as practicable, be given an opportunity to express its views before any direction is given under this sub-section.
(2) The decision of the Central Government, whether a question is one of the policy or not, shall be final.
Title: Power of Central Government to supersede Board.
(1) If at any time the Central Government is of the opinion—
(a) that on account of grave emergency, the Board is unable to discharge the functions and the duties imposed on it by or under the provisions of this Act; or
(b) that the Board has persistently made default in complying with any direction issued by the Central Government under this Act or in the discharge of the functions and duties imposed on it by or under the provisions of this Act and as a result of such default the financial position of the Board or the administration of the Board has deteriorated; or
(c) that circumstances exist which render it necessary in the public interest so to do,
the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, supersede the Board for such period, not exceeding six months, as may be specified in the notification.
(2) Upon the publication of a notification under sub-section (1) superseding the Board,--
(a) all the members shall, as from the date of supersession, vacate their offices as such;
(b) all the powers, functions and duties which may, by or under the provisions of this Act, be exercised or discharged by or on behalf of the Board shall, until the Board is reconstituted under sub-section (3), be exercised and discharged by such person or persons as the Central Government may direct; and
(c) all property owned or controlled by the Board shall, until the Board is reconstituted under sub-section (3), vest in the Central Government.
(3) On the expiration of the period of supersession specified in the notification issued under sub-section (1), the Central Government may reconstitute the Board by a fresh appointment and in such case any person or persons who vacated their offices under clause (a) of sub-section (2), shall not be deemed to be disqualified for appointment:
Provided that the Central Government may, at any time, before the expiration of the period of supersession, take action under this sub-section.
(4) The Central Government shall cause a notification issued under sub-section (1) and a full report of any action taken under this section and the circumstances leading to such action to be laid before each House of Parliament at the earliest.
The Board may, by general or special order in writing, delegate to the Chairperson or any other member or to any officer of the Board subject to such conditions and limitations, if any, as may be specified in the order, such of its powers and functions under this Act (except the power under section 21) as it may deem necessary.
Title: Protection of action taken in good faith.
No prosecution or other legal proceeding shall lie against the Central Government or the Board or any committee appointed by it or any member of the Board or such committee, or any officer or employee of the Government or the Board or any other person authorised by the Central Government or the Board for anything which is in good faith done or intended to be done under this Act or the rules or regulations made thereunder.
Title: Power of Central Government to make rules
(1) The Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, make rules to carry out the provisions of this Act.
(2) Without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing power, such rules may provide for all or any of the following matters, namely:--
(a) the qualifications and experience, term of office and other allowances of the members of the Board, under sub-section (5) of section 3;
(b) the powers and duties of the Chairperson under sub-section (6) of section 3;
(c) the constitution of Oversight Committee under section 5;
(d) the constitution of committees under sub-section (1) of section 6;
(e) the form of application under sub-section (1) of section 8;
(f) the form in which, and the time at which the Board shall prepare its budget under section 11 and its annual report under section 12;
(g) the form of annual statement of accounts under sub-section (1) of section 13 and the date before which audited copy of the accounts may be furnished to the Central Government under sub-section (4) of that section;
(h) any other matter which is to be or may be prescribed or in respect of which provision is to be, or may be, made by rules.