Section 21 in The Legal Metrology Act, 2009
Title: Training in Legal Metrology.
(1) For imparting training in Legal Metrology and other allied branches of knowledge the "Indian Institute of Legal Metrology" (hereinafter referred to as the "Institute") established under the provisions of the Standards of Weights and Measures Act, 1976 (60 of 1976), shall be deemed to have been established under the corresponding provisions of this Act.
(2) The management and control of the Institute, the teaching staff and other employees, the courses and curricula for training thereat, the qualifications, which a person shall possess in order to be eligible for admission thereto shall be such as may be prescribed.
Title: Approval of model.
Every person, before manufacturing or importing any weight or measure shall seek the approval of model of such weight or measure in such manner, on payment of such fee and from such authority as may be prescribed:
Provided that such approval of model may not be required in respect of any cast iron, brass, bullion, or carat weight or any beam scale, length measures (not being measuring tapes) which are ordinarily used in retail trade for measuring textiles or timber, capacity measures, not exceeding twenty litre in capacity, which are ordinarily used in retail trade for measuring kerosene, milk or potable liquors:
Provided further that the prescribed authority may, if he is satisfied that the model of any weight or measure which has been approved in a country outside India conforms to the standards established by or under this Act, approve such model without any test or after such test as he may deem fit.
Title: Prohibition on manufacture, repair or sale of weight or measure without licence.
(1) No person shall manufacture, repair or sell, or offer, expose or possess for repair or sale, any weight or measure unless he holds a licence issued by the Controller under sub-section (2):
Provided that no licence to repair shall be required by a manufacturer for repair of his own weight or measure in a State other than the State of manufacture of the same.
(2) For the purpose of sub-section (1), the Controller shall issue a licence in such form and manner, on such conditions, for such period and such area of jurisdiction and on payment of such fee as may be prescribed.
Title: Verification and stamping of weight or measure.
(1) Every person having any weight or measure in his possession, custody or control in circumstances indicating that such weight or measure is being, or is intended or is likely to be, used by him in any transaction or for protection, shall, before putting such weight or measure into such use, have such weight or measure verified at such place and during such hours as the Controller may, by general or special order, specify in this behalf, on payment of such fees as may be prescribed.
(2) The Central Government may prescribe the kinds of weights and measures for which the verification is to be done through the Government approved Test Centre.
(3) The Government approved Test Centre shall be notified by the Central Government or the State Government, as the case may be, in such manner, on such terms and conditions and on payment of such fee as may be prescribed.
(4) The Government approved Test Centre shall appoint or engage persons having such qualifications and experience and collect such fee on such terms and conditions for the verification of weights and measures specified under sub-section (2) as may be prescribed.
Title: Penalty for use of non-standard weight or measure.
Whoever uses or keeps for use any weight or measure or makes use of any numeration otherwise than in accordance with the standards of weight or measure or the standard of numeration, as the case may be, specified by or under this Act, shall be punished with fine which may extend to twenty-five thousand rupees and for the second or subsequent offence, with imprisonment for a term which may extend to six months and also with fine.