Section 5 in The Legal Metrology Act, 2009
Title: Base unit of weights and measures.
(1) The base unit of—
(i) length shall be the metre;
(ii) mass shall be the kilogram;
(iii) time shall be the second;
(iv) electric current shall be the ampere;
(v) thermodynamic temperature shall be the kelvin;
(vi) luminous intensity shall be the candela; and
(vii) amount of substance shall be the mole.
(2) The specifications of the base units mentioned in sub-section (1), derived units and other units shall be such as may be prescribed.
Title: Base unit of numeration.
(1) The base unit of numeration shall be the unit of the international form of Indian numerals.
(2) Every numeration shall be made in accordance with the decimal system.
(3) The decimal multiples and sub-multiples of the numerals shall be of such denominations and be written in such manner as may be prescribed.
Title: Standard units of weights and measures.
(1) The base units of weights and measures specified in section 5 shall be the standard units of weights and measures.
(2) The base unit of numeration specified in section 6 shall be the standard unit of numeration.
(3) For the purpose of deriving the value of base, derived and other units mentioned in section 5, the Central Government shall prepare or cause to be prepared objects or equipments in such manner as may be prescribed.
(4) The physical characteristics, configuration, constructional details, materials, equipments, performance, tolerances, period of re-verification, methods or procedures of tests shall be such as may be prescribed.
Title: Standard weight, measures or numeral.
(1) Any weight or measure which conforms to the standard unit of such weight or measure and also conforms to such of the provisions of section 7 as are applicable to it shall be the standard weight or measure.
(2) Any numeral which conforms to the provisions of section 6 shall be the standard numeral.
(3) No weight, measure or numeral, other than the standard weight, measure or numeral, shall be used as a standard weight, measure or numeral.
(4) No weight or measure, shall be manufactured or imported unless it conforms to the standards of weight or measure specified under section 8:
Provided that provisions of this section shall not apply for manufacture done exclusively for export or for the purpose of any scientific investigation or research.
Title: Reference, secondary and working standard.
(1) The reference standards, secondary standards and working standards of weights and measures shall be such as may be prescribed.
(2) Every reference standard, secondary standard and working standard shall be verified and stamped in such manner and after payment of such fee as may be prescribed.
(3) Every reference standard, secondary standard and working standard which is not verified and stamped in accordance with the provisions of sub-section (2) shall not be deemed to be a valid standard.