Section 3 in The Legal Metrology Act, 2009
Title: Provisions of this Act to override provisions of any other law.
The provisions of this Act shall have effect notwithstanding anything inconsistent therewith contained in any enactment other than this Act or in any instrument having effect by virtue of any enactment other than this Act.
Title: Units of weights and measures to be based on metric system.
Every unit of weight or measure shall be in accordance with the metric system based on the international system of units.
Title: Base unit of weights and measures.
(1) The base unit of—
(i) length shall be the metre;
(ii) mass shall be the kilogram;
(iii) time shall be the second;
(iv) electric current shall be the ampere;
(v) thermodynamic temperature shall be the kelvin;
(vi) luminous intensity shall be the candela; and
(vii) amount of substance shall be the mole.
(2) The specifications of the base units mentioned in sub-section (1), derived units and other units shall be such as may be prescribed.
Title: Base unit of numeration.
(1) The base unit of numeration shall be the unit of the international form of Indian numerals.
(2) Every numeration shall be made in accordance with the decimal system.
(3) The decimal multiples and sub-multiples of the numerals shall be of such denominations and be written in such manner as may be prescribed.
Title: Standard units of weights and measures.
(1) The base units of weights and measures specified in section 5 shall be the standard units of weights and measures.
(2) The base unit of numeration specified in section 6 shall be the standard unit of numeration.
(3) For the purpose of deriving the value of base, derived and other units mentioned in section 5, the Central Government shall prepare or cause to be prepared objects or equipments in such manner as may be prescribed.
(4) The physical characteristics, configuration, constructional details, materials, equipments, performance, tolerances, period of re-verification, methods or procedures of tests shall be such as may be prescribed.