Section 10 in The Civil Liability for Nuclear Damage Act, 2010
Title: Qualifications for appointment as Claims Commissioner
A person shall not be qualified for appointment as a Claims Commissioner unless he—
(a) is, or has been, a District Judge; or
(b) in the service of the Central Government and has held the post not below the rank of Additional Secretary to the Government of India or any other equivalent post in the Central Government.
Title: Salary, allowances and other terms and conditions of service of Claims Commissioner
The salary and allowances payable to and other terms and conditions of service of Claims Commissioner shall be such as may be prescribed.
Title: Adjudication procedure and powers of Claims Commissioner
(1) For the purposes of adjudication of claims under this Act, the Claims Commissioner shall follow such procedure as may be prescribed.
(2) For the purpose of holding inquiry, the Claims Commissioner may associate with him such persons having expertise in the nuclear field or such other persons and in such manner as may be prescribed.
(3) Where any person is associated under sub-section (2), he shall be paid such remuneration, fee or allowance, as may be prescribed.
(4) The Claims Commissioner shall, for the purposes of discharging his functions under this Act, have the same powers as are vested in a civil court under the Code of Civil Procedure, 1908 (5 of 1908), while trying a suit, in respect of the following matters, namely:--
(a) summoning and enforcing the attendance of any person and examining him on oath;
(b) the discovery and production of documents;
(c) receiving evidence on affidavits;
(d) requisitioning any public record or copies thereof from any court or office;
(e) issuing of commission for the examination of any witness;
(f) any other matter which may be prescribed.
(5) The Claims Commissioner shall be deemed to be a civil court for the purposes of section 195 and Chapter XXVI of the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973 (2 of 1974)
Title: Inviting application for claims by Claims Commissioner
After the notification of nuclear incident under sub-section (1) of section 3, the Claims Commissioner, having jurisdiction over the area, shall cause wide publicity to be given, in such manner as he deems fit, for inviting applications for claiming compensation for nuclear damage.
Title: Person entitled to make application for nuclear damage
An application for compensation before the Claims Commissioner or the Commission, as the case may be, in respect of nuclear damage may be made by—
(a) a person who has sustained injury; or
(b) the owner of the property to which damage has been caused; or
(c) the legal representatives of the deceased; or
(d) any agent duly authorised by such person or owner or legal representatives.