Section 12 in The Nalanda University Act, 2010
(1) The President of India shall be the Visitor of the University:
Provided that the President may, by order, nominate any person to be the Visitor and such person so nominated shall hold office for such term, not exceeding five years as may be specified in the order and the person so nominated shall exercise the powers and discharge duties of the Visitor.
(2) The Visitor may, from time to time, appoint one or more persons to review the work and progress of the University and to submit a report thereon; and upon receipt of that report, the Visitor may, after obtaining the views of the Governing Board thereon through the Vice-Chancellor, take such action and issue such directions as he considers necessary in respect of any of the matters dealt with in the report and the University shall be bound to comply with such directions.
(3) The Visitor shall have the right to cause an inspection to be made, by such person or persons as he may direct, of the University, its buildings, libraries, laboratories and equipments, and of any institution or centre maintained by the University or admitted to its privileges, and also of the examinations, teaching and other work conducted or done by the University and to cause an inquiry to be made in respect of any matter connected with the University.
(4) The Visitor shall, in every case give notice to the University of his intention to cause an inspection or inquiry to be made, and the University shall be entitled to appoint a representative within thirty days or such other period as the Visitor may determine who shall have the right to be present and be heard at such inspection or inquiry.
(5) The Visitor may address the Vice-Chancellor with reference to the result of inspection and inquiry, and the Vice-Chancellor shall communicate to the Governing Board the views of the Visitor with such advice as the Visitor may offer upon the action to be taken thereon.
(6) The Governing Board shall communicate through the Vice-Chancellor to the Visitor, such action, if any, as it proposes to take or has been taken upon the result of such inspection or inquiry.
(7) Where the Governing Board does not, within a reasonable time, take action to the satisfaction of the Visitor, he may, after considering any explanation furnished or representation made by the Governing Board, issue such directions as he may think fit and the Governing Board shall be bound to comply with such directions.
(8) Without prejudice to the foregoing provisions of this section, the Visitor may, by order in writing, annul any proceeding of the University which is not in conformity with this Act, the Statutes, the Ordinances or the Regulations.
(9) The Visitor shall have such other powers as may be prescribed by the Statutes.
Title: Officers of University
The following shall be the officers of the University:--
(1) the Chancellor;
(2) the Vice-Chancellor;
(3) the Registrars;
(4) the Finance Officer; and
(5) such other officers as may be declared by the Statutes to be the officers of the University.
Title: The Chancellor.
(1) The Chancellor shall be appointed by the Visitor for such term and in such manner as may be prescribed by the Statutes.
(2) The Chancellor shall, by virtue of his office, be the head of the University and shall, if present, preside at the Convocations of the University held for conferring degrees and meetings of the Governing Board.
Title: The Vice-Chancellor.
(1) The Vice-Chancellor shall be appointed by the Visitor in such manner, for such term and on such emoluments and other conditions of service as may be prescribed by the Statutes.
(2) The Vice-Chancellor shall be the principal academic and executive officer of the University, and shall exercise supervision and control over the affairs of the University and give effect to the decisions of all the authorities of the University.
(3) The Vice-Chancellor may, if he is of the opinion that immediate action is necessary on any matter, exercise any power conferred on any authority of the University by or under this Act and shall report to such authority the action taken by him on such matter:
Provided that if the authority concerned is of the opinion that such action ought not to have been taken, it may refer the matter to the Visitor whose decision thereon shall be final:
Provided further that any person in the service of the University who is aggrieved by any action taken by the Vice-Chancellor under this sub-section shall have the right to represent against such action to the Governing Board within ninety days from the date on which such action is communicated to him and thereupon the Governing Board may confirm, modify or reverse the action taken by the Vice-Chancellor.
(4) The Vice-Chancellor, if he is of the opinion that a decision of any authority is beyond the powers of the authority conferred by the provisions of this Act, the Statutes or the Ordinances or that any decision taken is not in the interest of the University, may ask the authority concerned to review its decision within sixty days of such decision and if the authority refuses to review its decision either in whole or in part or no decision is taken by it within the said period of sixty days, the matter shall be referred to the Visitor whose decision thereon shall be final:
Provided that the decision of the authority concerned shall remain suspended during the period of review of such decision by the authority or the Visitor, as the case may be, under this sub-section.
(5) The Vice-Chancellor shall exercise such other powers and perform such other functions as may be prescribed by the Statutes and the Ordinances.
Title: The Registrar.
(1) The Registrar shall be appointed in such manner and on such terms and conditions of service as may be prescribed by the Statutes.
(2) The Registrar shall have the power to enter into, and sign agreements and authenticate records on behalf of the University.
(3) The Registrar shall exercise such powers and perform such functions as may be prescribed by the Statutes.