Section 9 in The Nalanda University Act, 2010
Title: Objectives of University.
(1) The objectives of the University shall be—
(a) to impart education and to enable research towards capacity building of the Member States in the domain of ancient science (in particular, practised in the Nalanda several centuries ago), philosophy, language, history and other areas of higher learning vital for improving the quality of life;
(b) to contribute to the promotion of regional peace and vision by bringing together the future leaders of the East Asia, who by relating to their past history can enhance their understanding of each others' perspectives and to share that understanding globally;
(c) to harmonise the academic standards and accreditation norms in teaching, research and curriculum that are acceptable to all Member States;
(d) to create a unique partnership between the scholars and interested persons from the Member States;
(e) to understand Buddha's teachings in the contemporary context without excluding any other thoughts and practices from any other parts of the world;
(f) to enhance research for greater interaction between Asian countries, particularly between East Asia, bound by strong historical commonalities in areas like trade, science, mathematics, astronomy, religion, philosophy and cross-cultural current;
(g) to foster in the students and scholars the spirit of accommodation, understanding and thus to train them to become exemplary citizens of democratic societies;
(h) to contribute to the improvement of the educational system of the Member States in view of the teaching in Nalanda several centuries ago;
(i) to provide education and training in various arts, crafts and skills of the Member States, raising their quality and improving their availability to the people.
(2) The University shall be non-profit public-private partnership, which shall seek support from each of the Member States and from other sources but shall be autonomous and accountable to the Governing Board.
Title: Powers of University.
The University shall have the following powers, namely:--
(i) to make provision for providing, upgrading and promoting holistic and inclusive education and training and research in such education as set out in the objects, and to create an enabling and conducive environment for the pursuit of such education in close co-operation with other experts, scholars and interested persons in India, Asian countries and other countries;
(ii) to set up a consortium of international partners and friendly countries in furtherance of the objects of the University;
(iii) to generate and maintain resources through consultancy services, continuing education programmes, national and international collaborations and intellectual property rights;
(iv) to provide for instruction in such branches of learning as the University may, from time to time, determine and to make provisions for research and for the advancement and dissemination of knowledge;
(v) to establish such special centres and specialised laboratories and such other units for research and instruction as are necessary for the furtherance of its objects;
(vi) to plan and prescribe courses of study for degrees, diplomas, certificates or for any other purpose;
(vii) to hold examinations and grant diplomas or certificates to, and confer degrees and other academic distinctions on, persons who have pursued a course of study or conducted research, in the manner laid down by the Statutes and Ordinances;
(viii) to confer honorary degrees or other academic distinctions in the manner prescribed by the Statutes;
(ix) to institute Professorships, Readerships and Lecturerships and other teaching and academic positions, required by the University and to appoint persons to such Chairs, Professorships, Readerships and Lecturerships and other teaching and academic positions;
(x) to appoint visiting professors, Emeritus professors, consultants, scholars and such other persons who may contribute to the advancement of the objects of the University;
(xi) to recognise persons as professors, associate professors, or assistant professors or otherwise as teachers of the University;
(xii) to create administrative and other posts as the University may deem necessary from time to time and to make appointments thereto;
(xiii) to lay down conditions of service of all categories of employees, including their code of conduct;
(xiv) to establish and maintain centres in India or outside India, as may be determined from time to time;
(xv) to admit to its privileges institutions situated within its jurisdiction as the University institutions and to withdraw all or any of those privileges in accordance with such conditions as may be prescribed by the Statutes;
(xvi) to co-operate or collaborate or associate with any other University or authority or institution of higher learning or any other public or private body, having in view the promotion of purposes and objects similar to those of the University, in such manner as may be prescribed and for such purposes as may be determined or agreed upon by the University;
(xvii) to determine standards of admissions, including examination, evaluation or any other method of testing, to the University, and the institutions maintained by or admitted to the privileges of the University;
(xviii) to demand and receive payment of fees and other charges as may be prescribed;
(xix) to establish Halls and to recognise, guide, supervise and control Halls not maintained by the University and other accommodation for students, and to withdraw any such recognition;
(xx) to make arrangements for promoting health and general welfare of students and employees of the University;
(xxi) to regulate and enforce discipline among the students and the employees, and to take such disciplinary measures in this regard as may be deemed by the University to be necessary;
(xxii) to institute and award Fellowships, Scholarships and Prizes;
(xxiii) to receive benefactions, donations and gifts in accordance with the Ordinances and to acquire, hold, manage and dispose of any property, movable or immovable, including trust and endowment properties, for the purposes or objects of the University and to invest funds in such manner as it deems fit;
(xxiv) to borrow, with the approval of the Governing Board;
(xxv) to recognise for any purpose, either in whole or in part, any institution or members or students thereof on such terms and conditions as may, from time to time, be prescribed and to withdraw such recognition;
(xxvi) to make provision for research and advisory services and for that purpose to enter into such arrangements with other institutions or bodies as it may deem necessary;
(xxvii) to provide for the printing, reproduction and publication or research and other work which may be required by the University;
(xxviii) to exercise such other powers accorded to it and to do all such other acts as may be necessary, incidental or conducive to the promotion of all or any of the objects of the University.
Title: University open to all persons
The University shall be open to all persons irrespective of gender, caste, creed, disability, ethnicity or socio-economic background.
(1) The President of India shall be the Visitor of the University:
Provided that the President may, by order, nominate any person to be the Visitor and such person so nominated shall hold office for such term, not exceeding five years as may be specified in the order and the person so nominated shall exercise the powers and discharge duties of the Visitor.
(2) The Visitor may, from time to time, appoint one or more persons to review the work and progress of the University and to submit a report thereon; and upon receipt of that report, the Visitor may, after obtaining the views of the Governing Board thereon through the Vice-Chancellor, take such action and issue such directions as he considers necessary in respect of any of the matters dealt with in the report and the University shall be bound to comply with such directions.
(3) The Visitor shall have the right to cause an inspection to be made, by such person or persons as he may direct, of the University, its buildings, libraries, laboratories and equipments, and of any institution or centre maintained by the University or admitted to its privileges, and also of the examinations, teaching and other work conducted or done by the University and to cause an inquiry to be made in respect of any matter connected with the University.
(4) The Visitor shall, in every case give notice to the University of his intention to cause an inspection or inquiry to be made, and the University shall be entitled to appoint a representative within thirty days or such other period as the Visitor may determine who shall have the right to be present and be heard at such inspection or inquiry.
(5) The Visitor may address the Vice-Chancellor with reference to the result of inspection and inquiry, and the Vice-Chancellor shall communicate to the Governing Board the views of the Visitor with such advice as the Visitor may offer upon the action to be taken thereon.
(6) The Governing Board shall communicate through the Vice-Chancellor to the Visitor, such action, if any, as it proposes to take or has been taken upon the result of such inspection or inquiry.
(7) Where the Governing Board does not, within a reasonable time, take action to the satisfaction of the Visitor, he may, after considering any explanation furnished or representation made by the Governing Board, issue such directions as he may think fit and the Governing Board shall be bound to comply with such directions.
(8) Without prejudice to the foregoing provisions of this section, the Visitor may, by order in writing, annul any proceeding of the University which is not in conformity with this Act, the Statutes, the Ordinances or the Regulations.
(9) The Visitor shall have such other powers as may be prescribed by the Statutes.
Title: Officers of University
The following shall be the officers of the University:--
(1) the Chancellor;
(2) the Vice-Chancellor;
(3) the Registrars;
(4) the Finance Officer; and
(5) such other officers as may be declared by the Statutes to be the officers of the University.