Section 20 in The Air (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act, 1981
Title: Power to give instructions for ensuring standards for emission from automobiles.
With a view to ensuring that the standards for emission of air pollutants from automobiles laid down by the State Board under clause (g) of sub-section (1) of section 17 are complied with, the State Government shall, in consultation with the State Board, give such instructions as may be deemed necessary to the concerned authority in charge of registration of motor vehicles under the Motor Vehicles Act, 1939 (4 of 1939), and such authority shall, notwithstanding anything contained in that Act or the rules made thereunder be bound to comply with such instructions.
Title: Restrictions on use of certain industrial plants.
1[(1) Subject to the provisions of this section, no person shall, without the previous consent of the State Board, establish or operate any industrial plant in an air pollution control area:
Provided that a person operating any industrial plant in any air pollution control area immediately before the commencement of section 9 of the Air (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Amendment Act, 1987, for which no consent was necessary prior to such commencement, may continue to do so for a period of three months from such commencement or, if he has made an application for such consent within the said period of three months, till the disposal of such application.]
(2) An application for consent of the State Board under sub-section (1) shall be accompanied by such fees as may be prescribed and shall be made in the prescribed form and shall contain the particulars of the industrial plant and such other particulars as may be prescribed:
Provided that where any person, immediately before the declaration of any area as an air pollution control area, operates in such area any industrial plant, 2***such person shall make the application under this sub-section within such period (being not less than three months from the date of such declaration) as may be prescribed and where such person makes such application, he shall be deemed to be operating such industrial plant with the consent of the State Board until the consent applied for has been refused.
(3) The State Board may make such inquiry as it may deem fit in respect of the application for consent referred to in sub-section (1) and in making any such inquiry, shall follow such procedure as may be prescribed.
(4) Within a period of four months after the receipt of the application for consent referred to in sub-section (1), the State Board shall, by order in writing, 3[and for reasons to be recorded in the order, grant the consent applied for subject to such conditions and for such period as may be specified in the order, or refuse such consent]:
4[Provided that it shall be open to the State Board to cancel such consent before the expiry of the period for which it is granted or refuse further consent after such expiry if the conditions subject to which such consent has been granted are not fulfilled:
Provided further that before cancelling a consent or refusing a further consent under the first provision, a reasonable opportunity of being heard shall be given to the person concerned.]
(5) Every person to whom consent has been granted by the State Board under sub-section (4), shall comply with the following conditions, namely:-
(i) the control equipment of such specifications as the State Board may approve in this behalf shall be installed and operated in the premises where the industry is carried on or proposed to be carried on;
(ii) the existing control equipment, if any, shall be altered or replaced in accordance with the directions of the State Board;
(iii) the control equipment referred to in clause (i) or clause (ii) shall be kept at all times in good running condition;
(iv) chimney, wherever necessary, of such specifications as the State Board may approve in this behalf shall be erected or re-erected in such premises; and
(v) such other conditions as the State Board, may specify in this behalf; and
(vi) the conditions referred to in clauses (i), (ii) and (iv) shall be complied with within such period as the State Board may specify in this behalf:
Provided that in the case of a person operating any industrial plant 5*** in an air pollution control area immediately before the date of declaration of such area as an air pollution control area, the period so specified shall not be less than six months:
Provided further that—
(a) after the installation of any control equipment in accordance with the specifications under clause (i), or
(b) after the alteration or replacement of any control equipment in accordance with the directions of the State Board under clause (ii), or
(c) after the erection or re-erection of any chimney under clause (iv),
no control equipment or chimney shall be altered or replaced or, as the case may be, erected or re-erected except with the previous approval of the State Board.
(6) If due to any technological improvement or otherwise the State Board is of opinion that all or any of the conditions referred to in sub-section (5) require or requires variation (including the change of any control equipment, either in whole or in part), the State Board shall, after giving the person to whom consent has been granted an opportunity of being heard, vary all or any of such conditions and thereupon such person shall be bound to comply with the conditions as so varied.
(7) Where a person to whom consent has been granted by the State Board under sub-section (4) transfers his interest in the industry to any other person, such consent shall be deemed to have been granted to such other person and he shall be bound to comply with all the conditions subject to which it was granted as if the consent was granted to him originally.
1. Subs. by Act 47 of 1987, s. 9, for sub-section (1) (w.e.f. 1-4-1988).
2. The words "for the purpose of any industry specified in the Schedule" omitted by s. 9, ibid. (w.e.f. 1-4-1988).
3. Subs. by Act 47 of 1987, s. 9, for certain words (w.e.f. 1-4-1988).
4. Ins. by s. 9, ibid. (w.e.f. 1-4-1988).
5. The words "for the purpose of any industry specified in the Schedule" omitted by s. 9, ibid. (w.e.f. 1-4-1988).
Title: Persons carrying on industry, etc., not to allow emission of air pollutants in excess of the standard laid down by State Board.
No person 1**** operating any industrial plant, in any air pollution control area shall discharge or cause or permit to be discharged the emission of any air pollutant in excess of the standards laid down by the State Board under clause (g) of sub-section (1) of section 17.
1. The words "carrying on any industry specified in the Schedule or" omitted by Act 47 of 1987, s. 10 (w.e.f. 1-4-1988).
Title: Power of Board to make application to court for restraining persons from causing air pollution
1[22A. Power of Board to make application to court for restraining person from causing air pollution.--(1) Where it is apprehended by a Board that emission of any air pollutant, in excess of the standards laid down by the State Board under clause (g) of sub-section (1) of section 17, is likely to occur by reason of any person operating an industrial plant or otherwise in any air pollution control area, the Board may make an application to a court, not inferior to that of a Metropolitan Magistrate or a Judicial Magistrate of the first class for restraining such person from emitting such air pollutant.
(2) On receipt of the application under sub-section (1), the court may make such order as it deems fit.
(3) Where under sub-section (2), the court makes an order restraining any person from discharging or causing or permitting to be discharged the emission of any air pollutant, it may, in that order,--
(a) direct such person to desist from taking such action as is likely to cause emission;
(b) authorise the Board, if the direction under clause (a) is not complied with by the person to whom such direction is issued, to implement the direction in such manner as may be specified by the court.
(4) All expenses incurred by the Board in implementing the directions of the court under clause (b) of sub-section (3) shall be recoverable from the person concerned as arrears of land revenue or of public demand.]
1. Ins. by s. 11, ibid. (w.e.f. 1-4-1988).
Title: Furnishing of information to State Board and other agencies in certain cases.
(1) Where in any 1*** area the emission of any air pollutant into the atmosphere in excess of the standards laid down by the State Board occurs or is apprehended to occur due to accident or other unforeseen act or event, the person in charge of the premises from where such emission occurs or is apprehended to occur shall forthwith intimate the fact of such occurrence or the apprehension of such occurrence to the State Board and to such authorities or agencies as may be prescribed.
(2) On receipt of information with respect to the fact or the apprehension of any occurrence of the nature referred to in sub-section (1), whether through intimation under that sub-section or otherwise, the State Board and the authorities or agencies shall, as early as practicable, cause such remedial measure to be taken as are necessary to mitigate the emission of such air pollutants.
(3) Expenses, if any, incurred by the State Board, authority or agency with respect to the remedial measures referred to in sub-section (2) together with interest (at such reasonable rate, as the State Government may, by order, fix) from the date when a demand for the expenses is made until it is paid, may be recovered by that Board, authority or agency from the person concerned, as arrears of land revenue, or of public demand.
1. The words "air pollution control" omitted by s. 12, ibid. (w.e.f. 1-4-1988).