Section 9 in The Prisons Act, 1894
Title: Officers not to have business dealings with prisoners.
No officer of a prison shall sell or let, nor shall any person in trust for or employed by him sell or let, or derive any benefit from selling or letting, any article to any prisoner or have any money or other business dealings, directly or indirectly, with any prisoner.
Title: Officers not to be interested in prison-contracts.
No officer of a prison shall, nor shall any person in trust for or employed by him, have any interest, direct or indirect, in any contract for the supply of the prison : nor shall he derive any benefit, directly or indirectly, from the sale or purchase of any article on behalf of the prison or belonging to a prisoner.
(1) Subject to the orders of the Inspector General, the Superintendent shall manage the prison in all matters relating to discipline, labour, expenditure, punishment and control.
(2) Subject to such general or special directions as may be given by the State Government, the Superintendent of a prison other than a central prison or a prison situated in a presidency-town shall obey all orders not inconsistent with this Act or any rule thereunder which may be given respecting the prison by the District Magistrate, and shall report to the Inspector General all such orders and the action taken thereon.
Title: Records to be kept by Superintendent.
The Superintendent shall keep, or cause to be kept, the following records :—
(1) a register of prisoners admitted;
(2) a book showing when each prisoner is to be released;
(3) a punishment-book for the entry of the punishments inflicted on prisoners for prison-offences;
(4) a visitors book for the entry of any observation made by the visitors touching any matters connected with the administration of the prison;
(5) a record of the money and other articles taken from prisoners;
and all such other records as may be prescribed by rules under section 59 1***.
1 The words and figures "or section 60" omitted by the A. O. 1937.
Title: Duties of Medical Officer.
Subject to the control of the Superintendent, the Medical Officer shall have charge of the sanitary administration of the prison, and shall perform such 1duties as may be prescribed by rules made by the State Government under section 2.
1. For rules as to Medical Officer's duties under s. 13, see different local Rules and Orders.
2. Subs. by the A O. 1937, for "60".