Section 31 in The Academy of Scientific and Innovative Research Act, 2011
Title: Review of functioning of Academy.
(1) There shall be a review of the functioning of the Academy once in every four years by persons of eminence to be appointed by the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research.
(2) The Academy shall meet the expenses for conducting the review under sub-section (1) and upon receipt of the report of such review, the Board may take appropriate action.
(3) In addition to the review under sub-section (1), the Board may conduct review of functioning of administrative and academic wings of the Academy, in such manner and at such intervals, as may be provided in the Statutes.
All appointments of the staff of the Academy (except appointment of the Director), shall be made in accordance with the procedure laid down in the Statute, by—
(a) the Board for the academic staff;
(b) the Director, in any other case.
Title: Conditions of service.
(1) Every employee of the Academy shall be appointed on contractual basis under a written contract, which shall be lodged with the Academy and a copy of which shall be furnished to the employee concerned:
Provided that all scientists and other employees of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research engaged in the service of the Academy shall be governed by the service conditions, rules and regulations of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research.
(2) The Academy shall have a flexible compensation system which recognises performance, as laid down in the Statutes, to bring the best talent in the Academy:
Provided that the scientists of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research—
(a) engaged in the service of the Academy; and
(b) who draw their salary from the Council,
shall be eligible for such allowances or honorarium, as may be determined by the Statute.
(1) Any dispute arising out of a contract between the Academy and any of its employees shall, at the request of the employee concerned or at the instance of the Academy, be referred to a Tribunal of Arbitration consisting of one member appointed by the Director, one member nominated by the employee, and such two arbitrators shall appoint the third arbitrator who shall act as the presiding arbitrator.
(2) The arbitration under sub-section (1) shall be governed by the Arbitration and Conciliation Act, 1996 (26 of 1996).
Title: Resignation, removal and suspension of Chairperson and other Member or Director.
(1) The Chairperson or any Member of the Board other than ex officio Members of the Board or Director may, by notice in writing under his hand addressed to the President of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, resign his office:
Provided that the Chairperson or such Member or Director shall, unless he is permitted by the President of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research to relinquish his office sooner, continue to hold office until the expiry of three months from the date of receipt of such notice or until a person duly appointed as his successor enters upon his office or until the expiry of his term of office, whichever is the earliest.
(2) The President of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research may remove from office the Chairperson or any Member of the Board or the Director, who—
(a) has been adjudged an insolvent; or
(b) being the Director has engaged at any time, during his term of office, in any paid employment; or
(c) has been convicted of an offence which, in the opinion of the Central Government, involves moral turpitude; or
(d) has become physically or mentally incapable of acting as such Chairperson or Member or Director; or
(e) is of unsound mind and stands so declared by a competent court; or
(f) has acquired such financial or other interest as is likely to affect prejudicially the exercise of his functions as such Chairperson or Member or Director; or
(g) has so abused his position as to render his continuance in office prejudicial to the public interest; or
(h) has been guilty of proved misbehavior; or
(i) has such other disqualifications as may be prescribed.
(3) Notwithstanding anything contained in sub-section (1), the Chairperson or a Member of the Board or the Director shall not be removed from his office on the grounds specified in clause (f) or clause (g) or clause (h) of sub-section (1), except by an order made by the President of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research after an inquiry made in this behalf in which such Chairperson or Member or Director has been informed of the charges against him and given a reasonable opportunity of being heard in respect of those charges.
(4) In the event of inquiry instituted under sub-section (2), the President of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research may suspend such Chairperson or Member or Director against whom inquiry has been instituted for a period not exceeding six months if it is considered necessary in public interest.
(5) The President of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research may, by rules, regulate the procedure for the inquiry referred to in sub-section (2).
(6) In case any nominated member under clause (k) of sub-section (1) of section 11 in the Board incurs any of the disqualifications under clauses (a) to (i) of sub-section (1), such nominated member shall not be eligible to be nominated as such and his nomination as nominated member shall be revoked by those who nominated such member.