Section 17 in The Academy of Scientific and Innovative Research Act, 2011
Title: Powers of Board.
(1) Subject to the provisions of this Act, the Board shall be responsible for the general superintendence, direction and control of the affairs of the Academy and shall exercise all the powers of the Academy not otherwise provided for by this Act, the Statutes and the Ordinances, and shall have the power to review the acts of the Senate.
(2) Without prejudice to the provisions of sub-section (1), the Board shall have the powers to—
(a) take decisions on questions of policy relating to the administration and working of the Academy;
(b) institute courses of study at the Academy;
(c) make Statutes;
(d) institute and appoint persons to academic as well as other posts in the Academy;
(e) consider and modify or cancel or rescind Ordinances;
(f) consider and pass resolutions on the annual report, the annual accounts and the budget estimates of the Academy for the next financial year, together with a statement of its development plans;
(g) approve investments in infrastructure of the Academy in any land or building;
(h) exercise such other powers and perform such other duties as may be conferred or imposed upon it by this Act or the Statutes.
(3) The Board shall also have the power to appoint such committees of one or more persons as it considers necessary for exercise of its powers and the performance of its duties and hold enquiries under this Act.
(1) The Senate shall consist of the following, namely:--
(a) the Director, ex officio, who shall be the Chairperson of the Senate;
(b) all Associate Directors, ex officio members;
(c) all Deans of the Academy, ex officio members;
(d) two Professors from each area of study represented by the Boards of Studies of the Academy, as may be nominated by the Board, ex officio members;
(e) two scientists of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, who being the youngest in age; and recipient of Shanti Swaroop Bhatnagar Award; and who are also Faculty of the Academy, as may be nominated by the Director-General of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research;
(f) two scientists of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, who being the youngest in age; and recipient of CSIR-Young Scientist Award; and who are Faculty of the Academy, as may be nominated by the Director-General of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research;
(g) three Directors or distinguished scientists or outstanding scientists of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research laboratories, nominated by its Director-General;
(h) three persons, not being the employees of the Academy or the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, to be nominated by the Chancellor in consultation with the Director from amongst educationists of repute, one being from each of the fields of science, engineering and social sciences;
(i) such other members of the staff as may be laid down in the Statutes.
(2) The tenure of the nominated members under clauses (d) to (h) of sub-section (1) shall be two years:
Provided that the Senate shall not, at any time, have less than fifty per cent. of its members from the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research scientists teaching in the Academy.
Title: Powers of Senate.
Subject to the provisions of this Act, the Statutes and the Ordinances, the Senate of the Academy shall have the control and general regulation, and be responsible for the maintenance, of standards of instruction, education and examinations in the Academy and shall exercise such other powers and perform such other duties as may be conferred or imposed upon it by the Statutes and Ordinances.
Title: Chancellor of Academy.
(1) The Chairperson of the Board shall be the Chancellor of the Academy.
(2) The Chancellor shall ordinarily preside at the Convocations of the Academy.
Title: Director of Academy.
The Director shall be the principal academic and executive officer of the Academy and shall be responsible for the administration of the Academy and imparting instruction, research and maintenance of discipline.