Section 177 in Motor Vehicles Act
Title: General provision for punishment of offences
Whoever contravenes any provision of this Act or of any rule, regulation or notification made thereunder shall, if no penalty is provided for the offence be punishable for the first offence with fine which may extend to one hundred rupees, and for any second or subsequent offence with fine which may extend to three hundred rupees
Title: Penalty for contravention of regulations under section
1[177A. Penalty for contravention of regulations under section 118.-- Whoever contravenes the regulations made under section 118, shall be punishable with fine which shall not be less than five hundred rupees, but may extend to one thousand rupees.]
1. Ins. by Act 32 of 2019, s. 59 (w.e.f. 1-9-2019).
Title: Penalty for travelling without pass or ticket and for dereliction of duty on the part of conductor and refusal to ply contract carriage etc
(1) Whoever travels in a stage carriage without having a proper pass or ticket with him or being in or having alighted from a stage carriage fails or refuses to present for examination or to deliver up his pass or ticket immediately on a requisition being made therefor, shall be punishable with fine which may extend to five hundred rupees.
Explanation.--In this section, "pass" and "ticket" have the meanings respectively assigned to them in section 124.
(2) If the conductor of a stage carriage, or the driver of a stage carriage performing the functions of a conductor in such stage carriage, whose duty is--
(a) to supply a ticket to a person travelling in a stage carriage on payment of fare by such person, either wilfully or negligently,--
(i) fails or refuses to accept the fare when tendered, or
(ii) fails or refuses to supply a ticket, or
(iii) supplies an invalid ticket, or
(iv) supplies a ticket of a lesser value, or
(b) to check any pass or ticket, either wilfully or negligently fails or refuses to do so,
he shall be punishable with fine which may extend to five hundred rupees.
(3) If the holder of a permit or the driver of a contract carriage refuses, in contravention of the provisions of this Act or rules made thereunder, to ply the contract carriage or to carry the passengers, he shall,--
(a) in the case of two-wheeled or three-wheeled motor vehicles, be punishable with fine which may extend to fifty rupees; and
(b) in any other case, be punishable with fine which may extend to 1[five hundred rupees]
31. Subs. by Act 32 of 2019, s. 60, for "two hundred rupees" (w.e.f. 1-9-2019)
Title: Disobedience of orders obstruction and refusal of information
(1) Whoever wilfully disobeys any direction lawfully given by any person or authority empowered under this Act to give such direction, or obstructs any person or authority in the discharge of any functions which such person or authority is required or empowered under this Act to discharge, shall, if no other penalty is provided for the offence be punishable with fine which may extend to 1[two thousand rupees].
(2) Whoever, being required by or under this Act to supply any information, wilfully withholds such information or gives information which he known to be false or which he does not believe to be true, shall, if no other penalty is provided for the offence, be punishable with imprisonment for a term which may extend to one month, or with fine which may extend to 1[two thousand rupees], or with both.
1. Subs. by s. 61, ibid., for "five hundred rupees" (w.e.f. 1-9-2019).
Title: Allowing unauthorised persons to drive vehicles
Whenever, being the owner or person in charge of a motor vehicle, causes, or permits, any other person who does not satisfy the provisions of section 3 or section 4 to drive the vehicle shall be punishable with imprisonment for a term which may extend to three months, or with fine 1[of five thousand rupees], or with both.
1. Subs. by s. 62, ibid., for "which may extend to one thousand rupees" (w.e.f. 1-9-2019).