Section 4 in The Academy of Scientific and Innovative Research Act, 2011
Title: Object of Academy.
(1) The objects of the Academy shall be to—
(a) disseminate advanced knowledge in science and technology, by providing teaching and research facilities in such branches of learning as it may deem fit, particularly in emerging areas and such areas as may emerge in future;
(b) undertake inter-disciplinary studies and research;
(c) conduct courses in, and integrate into its courses, inter-disciplinary and multi-disciplinary areas covering natural sciences, life sciences, mathematical and computational sciences, medical sciences, engineering, applied art, humanities, social sciences, law relating to these areas and interfaces thereof;
(d) take appropriate measures for innovations in teaching and learning processes;
(e) create an ambience for learning and scholarship in advanced science and technology instead of exclusively focusing on marks or grades;
(f) educate and train manpower in scientific and technological fields;
(g) establish linkages with industries in India and outside India for the promotion of science and technology;
(h) collaborate, in appropriate areas in the field of science and technology, with reputed universities and institutions in India or outside India;
(i) promote research in science and technology having a bearing on social, economic, cultural, intellectual and academic welfare of the people.
(2) The Academy shall primarily focus on research and imparting instruction in such areas as are not ordinarily taught in regular academic universities in India.
(3) The curricula, pedagogy and evaluation of the Academy shall be innovative and directed towards creating highest quality personnel with cross-disciplinary knowledge, aiming to provide leaders in the field of science and technology.
Title: Relationship of Academy with Council of Scientific and Industrial Research.
(1) The Academy shall be, provided, or, allowed to use, the infrastructure and scientific manpower of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research for teaching and research purposes for mutual benefit.
(2) The Academy, within two weeks of the commencement of this Act, shall, notwithstanding anything contained in any other Act, rules, regulations or bye-laws for the time being in force, enter into a Memorandum of Understanding with the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, for the purposes of its affiliation with the Academy for the purposes of academics, teaching and award of degrees or diplomas, and, the persons pursuing the studies in the Council for award of any degree or diploma, after entering of such Memorandum of Understanding, be awarded degrees or diplomas by the said Academy:
Provided that any person pursuing any academic or research course, before the commencement of this Act, in the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research for award of any degree or diploma and registered for the said purpose with any other university, may, with the approval of the university with which such person is registered, migrate after such commencement to the Academy established under this Act and be registered with the said Academy for grant of the same degree or diploma by the Academy established under this Act and such person shall be deemed to have migrated and registered with the Academy established under this Act at the same level of study in the university from which such person migrated.
(3) Nothing contained in sub-section (1) or sub-section (2) shall be construed to affect the functions or powers of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, being discharged or exercised, before the commencement of this Act, by the Council or to affiliate with any other university or institution for the purposes of academics, teaching and award of degrees or diplomas or for any other purposes necessary for pursuing its objects.
Title: Declaration of Academy as an institution of national importance.
It is hereby declared that the Academy of Scientific and Innovative Research shall be an institution of national importance.
Title: Transfer of assets, liabilities, etc., of existing Academy to Academy established under this Act and other provisions, etc.
(1) On and from the date of establishment of the Academy,—
(a) any reference to the existing Academy in any law other than this Act or in any contract or other instrument shall be deemed as a reference to the Academy;
(b) all properties and assets, movable and immovable, of, or belonging to, the existing Academy, shall vest in the Academy;
(c) all rights and liabilities of the existing Academy shall be transferred to, and be the rights and liabilities of, the Academy;
(d) without prejudice to the provisions of clause (c), all debts, obligations and liabilities incurred, all contracts entered into and all matters and things engaged to be done by, with or for the existing Academy immediately before that date, for or in connection with the purpose of the said existing Academy shall be deemed to have been incurred, entered into or engaged to be done by, with or for, the Academy;
(e) all sums of money due to the existing Academy immediately before that date shall be deemed to be due to the Academy;
(f) all suits and other legal proceedings instituted or which could have been instituted by or against the existing Academy immediately before that date may be continued or may be instituted by or against the Academy;
(g) every employee (including those appointed for imparting instruction or conducting research in the existing Academy) holding any office under the existing Academy or teaching therein immediately before that date shall hold his office in the Academy or continue teaching therein by the same tenure and upon the same terms and conditions of service as respects remuneration, leave, provident fund, retirement and other terminal benefits as he would have held such office if the Academy had not been established and shall continue to do so as an employee of the Academy or until the expiry of the period of six months from that date if such employee opts not to be the employee of the Academy within such period.
(2) Any person pursuing any academic or research course, before the commencement of this Act, in the existing Academy for award of any degree or diploma or certificate shall be entitled to pursue such academic or research course after the establishment of the Academy under this Act and be registered with the said Academy for grant of the same degree or diploma or certificate by the Academy established under this Act and such person shall be deemed to have migrated and registered with the Academy established under this Act at the same level of study in the existing Academy from which such person migrated.
(3) Any person, who immediately before the commencement of this Act, had been awarded a degree or diploma or certificate for having qualified any course by the existing Academy, shall be entitled to award of equivalent degree or diploma by the Academy subject to approval by the Board of the Academy.
(4) Notwithstanding anything contained in the Industrial Disputes Act, 1947 (14 of 1947) or in any other law for the time being in force, absorption of any employee by the Academy in its regular service under this section shall not entitle such employee to any compensation under that Act or other law and no such claim shall be entertained by any court, tribunal or other authority.
Title: Functions and powers of Academy.
(1) The Academy shall discharge its functions and exercise the following powers, namely:—
(i) to provide for instructions and conduct research in such branches of learning like natural sciences, life sciences, mathematical and computational sciences, medical sciences, engineering, applied art, humanities, social sciences, law relating to these areas and interfaces thereof, and in particular, in inter-disciplinary and multi-disciplinary areas of these branches, and in all such areas as may emerge in future and other emerging areas of knowledge, as the Academy may from time to time determine and make provision for advancement and dissemination of knowledge;
(ii) to lay administrative standards and structures and decide on all matters of creation of posts, laying down standards for recruitment, determining compensation packages, and contractual arrangements;
(iii) to design its curriculum and pedagogy for award of diplomas or certificates and confer degrees or other academic distinctions as it may deem fit;
(iv) to grant, subject to such conditions as the Academy may determine, diplomas or certificates and confer degrees or other academic distinctions on the basis of such methods of evaluation and to hold its examinations, as the Academy may, from time to time, determine and to withdraw any such diplomas, certificates, degrees or other academic distinctions for good and sufficient cause;
(v) to frame Statutes and Ordinances and to alter, modify or rescind the same;
(vi) to organise and undertake extramural studies, training and extension services;
(vii) to confer honorary degrees or other distinctions;
(viii) to provide distance education in such branches of learning and to such persons as it may determine;
(ix) to institute professorships, associate professorships and assistant professorships including Academy Professors, Professors of Eminence, Distinguished Professors, Outstanding Professors, Senior Professors, Emeritus Professors, or visiting positions and other teaching or academic or other positions, required by the Academy and to make appointments to such positions;
(x) to appoint persons from any other university, or institution, or industry, or persons of eminence from appropriate fields of studies, including those outside the country, as Faculty of the Academy;
(xi) to create administrative, ministerial and other posts and to make appointments thereto;
(xii) to co-operate or collaborate or associate with any body including, any university or institution, or industry, located in India or outside India;
(xiii) to establish such centres and specialised laboratories or other units for research and instruction as may be required;
(xiv) to set up schools, centres and campuses and function there from or conduct classes from any place of its choice, including the premises of laboratories or other centres of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research;
(xv) to institute and award fellowships, scholarships, studentships, medals and prizes;
(xvi) to conduct research, advisory and consultancy services with or for any entity, public or private, whether in India or outside India, which are in conformity with the spirit and object of the Academy;
(xvii) to engage scientists of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research as Faculty in imparting instruction and conducting research in the Academy;
(xviii) to establish, maintain and manage institutions and hostels for residence of students or establish and maintain such institutions through the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research or any other body;
(xix) to fix, demand and receive payment of fees and other charges;
(xx) to determine the standards of admission to the Academy, which may include examination, other innovative models of testing or evaluation;
(xxi) to supervise the residences of the students of the Academy and to make arrangements for promoting their health, general welfare, cultural and corporate life;
(xxii) to lay down conditions of service for all categories of employees, including their code of conduct;
(xxiii) to regulate and enforce discipline, among the students and employees and to take such disciplinary measures in this regard as may be necessary;
(xxiv) to make arrangements for promoting the health and general welfare of the employees;
(xxv) to receive grants, benefactions, donations, gifts, bequests and transfer or acquire, hold and manage and dispose of any property movable or immovable, including trust and endowment properties for the purposes of the Academy:
Provided that no such grants, benefactions, donations, gifts, bequests and transfer shall be accepted by the Academy which in the opinion of the Board involves conditions or obligations opposed to the spirit and object of this Act;
(xxvi) to borrow, on the security of property of the Academy or otherwise, money for the purposes of the Academy or utilise its property for such purposes as are in conformity with the spirit and object of this Act;
(xxvii) to do all such other acts and things as may be necessary, incidental or conducive to the attainment of all or any of its objects.
(2) In exercising its powers referred to in sub-section (1), it shall be the endeavour of the Academy to maintain an all India character and high standards of teaching and research, and, the Academy shall, among other measures which may be necessary for the said purpose, take, in particular, the following measures, namely:—
(i) subject to the provisions of section 9, the admission of students shall be made on merit;
(ii) continuous evaluation or other innovative methods of evaluation and choice based credit system may be introduced and the Academy may enter into agreements with other universities and academic institutions in India or outside India for credit transfer and joint degree programmes;
(iii) innovative courses and programmes of studies shall be introduced with a provision for periodic review and restructuring;
(iv) the imparting of instruction shall be, as far as may be, through use of modern techniques or technologies;
(v) the systems and structures of the Academy should be flexible to adapt to the requirements of multi-disciplinary and inter-disciplinary studies;
(vi) active participation of students may be ensured in governance of academic matters of the Academy.