Section 3 in The Academy of Scientific and Innovative Research Act, 2011
Title: Establishment of Academy of Scientific and Innovative Research.
(1) With effect from such date as the Central Government may, by notification, appoint in this behalf, there shall be established for the purposes of this Act an Academy to be called the Academy of Scientific and Innovative Research a body corporate by such name.
(2) The headquarters of the Academy shall be at such place as the Central Government may, by notification, specify.
(3) The Academy may have such number of regional centres and campuses, as it may deem fit.
(4) The Academy shall have perpetual succession and a common seal with power, subject to the provisions of this Act, to acquire, hold and dispose of property and to contract, and shall by that name, sue and be sued.
Title: Object of Academy.
(1) The objects of the Academy shall be to—
(a) disseminate advanced knowledge in science and technology, by providing teaching and research facilities in such branches of learning as it may deem fit, particularly in emerging areas and such areas as may emerge in future;
(b) undertake inter-disciplinary studies and research;
(c) conduct courses in, and integrate into its courses, inter-disciplinary and multi-disciplinary areas covering natural sciences, life sciences, mathematical and computational sciences, medical sciences, engineering, applied art, humanities, social sciences, law relating to these areas and interfaces thereof;
(d) take appropriate measures for innovations in teaching and learning processes;
(e) create an ambience for learning and scholarship in advanced science and technology instead of exclusively focusing on marks or grades;
(f) educate and train manpower in scientific and technological fields;
(g) establish linkages with industries in India and outside India for the promotion of science and technology;
(h) collaborate, in appropriate areas in the field of science and technology, with reputed universities and institutions in India or outside India;
(i) promote research in science and technology having a bearing on social, economic, cultural, intellectual and academic welfare of the people.
(2) The Academy shall primarily focus on research and imparting instruction in such areas as are not ordinarily taught in regular academic universities in India.
(3) The curricula, pedagogy and evaluation of the Academy shall be innovative and directed towards creating highest quality personnel with cross-disciplinary knowledge, aiming to provide leaders in the field of science and technology.
Title: Relationship of Academy with Council of Scientific and Industrial Research.
(1) The Academy shall be, provided, or, allowed to use, the infrastructure and scientific manpower of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research for teaching and research purposes for mutual benefit.
(2) The Academy, within two weeks of the commencement of this Act, shall, notwithstanding anything contained in any other Act, rules, regulations or bye-laws for the time being in force, enter into a Memorandum of Understanding with the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, for the purposes of its affiliation with the Academy for the purposes of academics, teaching and award of degrees or diplomas, and, the persons pursuing the studies in the Council for award of any degree or diploma, after entering of such Memorandum of Understanding, be awarded degrees or diplomas by the said Academy:
Provided that any person pursuing any academic or research course, before the commencement of this Act, in the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research for award of any degree or diploma and registered for the said purpose with any other university, may, with the approval of the university with which such person is registered, migrate after such commencement to the Academy established under this Act and be registered with the said Academy for grant of the same degree or diploma by the Academy established under this Act and such person shall be deemed to have migrated and registered with the Academy established under this Act at the same level of study in the university from which such person migrated.
(3) Nothing contained in sub-section (1) or sub-section (2) shall be construed to affect the functions or powers of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, being discharged or exercised, before the commencement of this Act, by the Council or to affiliate with any other university or institution for the purposes of academics, teaching and award of degrees or diplomas or for any other purposes necessary for pursuing its objects.
Title: Declaration of Academy as an institution of national importance.
It is hereby declared that the Academy of Scientific and Innovative Research shall be an institution of national importance.
Title: Transfer of assets, liabilities, etc., of existing Academy to Academy established under this Act and other provisions, etc.
(1) On and from the date of establishment of the Academy,—
(a) any reference to the existing Academy in any law other than this Act or in any contract or other instrument shall be deemed as a reference to the Academy;
(b) all properties and assets, movable and immovable, of, or belonging to, the existing Academy, shall vest in the Academy;
(c) all rights and liabilities of the existing Academy shall be transferred to, and be the rights and liabilities of, the Academy;
(d) without prejudice to the provisions of clause (c), all debts, obligations and liabilities incurred, all contracts entered into and all matters and things engaged to be done by, with or for the existing Academy immediately before that date, for or in connection with the purpose of the said existing Academy shall be deemed to have been incurred, entered into or engaged to be done by, with or for, the Academy;
(e) all sums of money due to the existing Academy immediately before that date shall be deemed to be due to the Academy;
(f) all suits and other legal proceedings instituted or which could have been instituted by or against the existing Academy immediately before that date may be continued or may be instituted by or against the Academy;
(g) every employee (including those appointed for imparting instruction or conducting research in the existing Academy) holding any office under the existing Academy or teaching therein immediately before that date shall hold his office in the Academy or continue teaching therein by the same tenure and upon the same terms and conditions of service as respects remuneration, leave, provident fund, retirement and other terminal benefits as he would have held such office if the Academy had not been established and shall continue to do so as an employee of the Academy or until the expiry of the period of six months from that date if such employee opts not to be the employee of the Academy within such period.
(2) Any person pursuing any academic or research course, before the commencement of this Act, in the existing Academy for award of any degree or diploma or certificate shall be entitled to pursue such academic or research course after the establishment of the Academy under this Act and be registered with the said Academy for grant of the same degree or diploma or certificate by the Academy established under this Act and such person shall be deemed to have migrated and registered with the Academy established under this Act at the same level of study in the existing Academy from which such person migrated.
(3) Any person, who immediately before the commencement of this Act, had been awarded a degree or diploma or certificate for having qualified any course by the existing Academy, shall be entitled to award of equivalent degree or diploma by the Academy subject to approval by the Board of the Academy.
(4) Notwithstanding anything contained in the Industrial Disputes Act, 1947 (14 of 1947) or in any other law for the time being in force, absorption of any employee by the Academy in its regular service under this section shall not entitle such employee to any compensation under that Act or other law and no such claim shall be entertained by any court, tribunal or other authority.