Section 1 in The Academy of Scientific and Innovative Research Act, 2011
Title: Short title, extent and commencement.
(1) This Act may be called the Academy of Scientific and Innovative Research Act, 2011.
(2) It extends to the whole of India except the State of Jammu and Kashmir*.
(3) It shall come into force on such date1 as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint and different dates may be appointed for different provisions of this Act.
1. 3rd April, 2012 except sub-section (2) of section 5, vide notification No. S.O. 709(E), dated 2nd April, 2012, see Gazette of India, Extraordinary, Part II, sec. 3(ii). 26th June, 2013 sub-sec. (2) of section 5, vide notification No. S.O. 1850(E), dated 26th June, 2013, see Gazette of India, Extraordinary, Part II, sec. 3(ii).
*. Vide notification No. S.O. 3912(E), dated 30th October, 2019, this Act is made applicable to the Union territory of Jammu and Kashmir and the Union territory of Ladakh.
In this Act, and in all Statutes and Ordinances made thereunder, unless the context otherwise requires,—
(a) "Academy" means the Academy of Scientific and Innovative Research established under subsection (1) of section 3;
(b) "Board" means the Board of Governors of the Academy of Scientific and Innovative Research referred to in section 10;
(c) "Council of Scientific and Industrial Research" means a society registered by the name of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research under the Societies Registration Act, 1860 (21 of 1860);
(d) "Chairperson" means the Chairperson of the Board appointed under section 12;
(e) "Chancellor" means the Chancellor of the Academy referred to in section 20;
(f) "Director" means the Director of the Academy appointed under section 22;
(g) "distinguished scientists" or "outstanding scientists" of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research means scientists of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research designated as such;
(h) "existing Academy" means the Academy of Scientific and Innovative Research established in pursuance of the Resolution of the Government of India in the Ministry of Science and Technology, Department of Scientific and Industrial Research, Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, vide No. 6/1/CSIR-Ac SIR/2010-PPD, dated the 1st July, 2010;
(i) "Faculty of the Academy" means Academy Professors, Professors of Eminence, Distinguished Professors, Outstanding Professors, Senior Professors, Emeritus Professors, Professors, Associate Professors, Assistant Professors, visiting faculty, and such other persons as may be appointed for imparting instruction or conducting research in the Academy or institutions maintained by the Academy and includes the scientists of Council of Scientific and Industrial Research assigned for imparting instruction or conducting research;
(j) "notification" means a notification published in the Official Gazette;
(k) "Statutes and Ordinances" means the Statutes and the Ordinances of the Academy for the time being in force.
Title: Establishment of Academy of Scientific and Innovative Research.
(1) With effect from such date as the Central Government may, by notification, appoint in this behalf, there shall be established for the purposes of this Act an Academy to be called the Academy of Scientific and Innovative Research a body corporate by such name.
(2) The headquarters of the Academy shall be at such place as the Central Government may, by notification, specify.
(3) The Academy may have such number of regional centres and campuses, as it may deem fit.
(4) The Academy shall have perpetual succession and a common seal with power, subject to the provisions of this Act, to acquire, hold and dispose of property and to contract, and shall by that name, sue and be sued.
Title: Object of Academy.
(1) The objects of the Academy shall be to—
(a) disseminate advanced knowledge in science and technology, by providing teaching and research facilities in such branches of learning as it may deem fit, particularly in emerging areas and such areas as may emerge in future;
(b) undertake inter-disciplinary studies and research;
(c) conduct courses in, and integrate into its courses, inter-disciplinary and multi-disciplinary areas covering natural sciences, life sciences, mathematical and computational sciences, medical sciences, engineering, applied art, humanities, social sciences, law relating to these areas and interfaces thereof;
(d) take appropriate measures for innovations in teaching and learning processes;
(e) create an ambience for learning and scholarship in advanced science and technology instead of exclusively focusing on marks or grades;
(f) educate and train manpower in scientific and technological fields;
(g) establish linkages with industries in India and outside India for the promotion of science and technology;
(h) collaborate, in appropriate areas in the field of science and technology, with reputed universities and institutions in India or outside India;
(i) promote research in science and technology having a bearing on social, economic, cultural, intellectual and academic welfare of the people.
(2) The Academy shall primarily focus on research and imparting instruction in such areas as are not ordinarily taught in regular academic universities in India.
(3) The curricula, pedagogy and evaluation of the Academy shall be innovative and directed towards creating highest quality personnel with cross-disciplinary knowledge, aiming to provide leaders in the field of science and technology.
Title: Relationship of Academy with Council of Scientific and Industrial Research.
(1) The Academy shall be, provided, or, allowed to use, the infrastructure and scientific manpower of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research for teaching and research purposes for mutual benefit.
(2) The Academy, within two weeks of the commencement of this Act, shall, notwithstanding anything contained in any other Act, rules, regulations or bye-laws for the time being in force, enter into a Memorandum of Understanding with the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, for the purposes of its affiliation with the Academy for the purposes of academics, teaching and award of degrees or diplomas, and, the persons pursuing the studies in the Council for award of any degree or diploma, after entering of such Memorandum of Understanding, be awarded degrees or diplomas by the said Academy:
Provided that any person pursuing any academic or research course, before the commencement of this Act, in the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research for award of any degree or diploma and registered for the said purpose with any other university, may, with the approval of the university with which such person is registered, migrate after such commencement to the Academy established under this Act and be registered with the said Academy for grant of the same degree or diploma by the Academy established under this Act and such person shall be deemed to have migrated and registered with the Academy established under this Act at the same level of study in the university from which such person migrated.
(3) Nothing contained in sub-section (1) or sub-section (2) shall be construed to affect the functions or powers of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, being discharged or exercised, before the commencement of this Act, by the Council or to affiliate with any other university or institution for the purposes of academics, teaching and award of degrees or diplomas or for any other purposes necessary for pursuing its objects.