Section 12 in The Rajiv Gandhi National Institute of Youth Development Act, 2012
Title: Establishment of Executive Council
(1) With effect from such date as the Central Government may, by notification, appoint in this behalf, there shall be established for the purpose of this Act, a central body to be called as the Executive Council.
(2) The Executive Council shall consist of the following members, namely:--
(a) an eminent person of academic repute to be nominated by the Visitor--Chairperson;
(b) an eminent person in the field of Youth Development to be nominated by the Visitor—Vice Chairperson;
(c) Secretary, Department of Youth Affairs, Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports--ex officio Member;
(d) Joint Secretary, Department of Youth Affairs, Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports--ex officio Member;
(e) Director, Rajiv Gandhi National Institute of Youth Development--ex officio Member;
(f) Professor from Rajiv Gandhi National Institute of Youth Development on rotation--Member;
(g) one eminent sports personality to be nominated by the Central Government--Member;
(h) one Head from an Academic Institution to be nominated by the Central Government--Member;
(i) one representative from the industry to be nominated by the Central Government from the Federation of Indian Chamber of Commerce and Industry or Confederation of Indian Industry by the Central Government--Member;
(j) the Registrar, Rajiv Gandhi National Institute of Youth Development--Member-Secretary.
(3) While nominating the members of the Executive Council under sub-section (2) due representation shall be given to women, different regions of the country, and weaker sections of the community and differently abled persons.
Title: Terms of office of, vacancies among, and allowances payable to members of Executive Council
(1) The term of office of every member of the Executive Council shall be for a period of three years from the date of his nomination:
Provided that the term of office of an ex officio member shall continue so long as he holds the office by virtue of which he is a member.
(2) The term of office of a member nominated to fill a casual vacancy shall be for the remainder of the term of the member in whose place he has been nominated.
(3) Notwithstanding anything contained in this section, an out-going member shall, unless the Central Government otherwise directs, continue in office until another person is nominated as a member in his place or until the expiry of one year, whichever is earlier.
(4) The members of the Executive Council, other than ex officio members, shall be paid such travelling and other allowances as may be provided by the Statutes.
Title: Meetings of Executive Council
(1) The Chairperson shall ordinarily preside at the meetings of the Executive Council and at the Convocation of the Institute:
Provided that, in his absence, the Vice-Chairperson of the Executive Council shall preside at the meetings of the Executive Council.
(2) It shall be the duty of the Chairperson to ensure that the decisions taken by the Executive Council are implemented.
(3) The Chairperson shall exercise such other powers and perform such other duties as are assigned to him by this Act.
(4) The Executive Council shall meet at least four times in a year and follow such procedure, in its meetings (including quorum at such meetings) as may be provided by the Statutes
Title: Powers and functions of Executive Council
(1) Subject to the provisions of this Act, the Executive Council shall be responsible for the general superintendence, direction and control of the affairs of the Institute and shall also exercise the powers of the Institute not otherwise provided for by this Act, the Statutes and the Ordinances, and shall have the power to review the acts of the Academic Council and Finance Committee.
(2) Without prejudice to the provisions of sub-section (1), the Executive Council shall—
(a) take decisions on questions of policy relating to the administration and working of the Institute;
(b) lay down policy regarding the duration of the courses, nomenclature of the degrees and other distinctions to be conferred by the Institute;
(c) institute courses of study and lay down standards of proficiency and other academic distinctions in respect of the courses offered by the Institute;
(d) lay down, with prior approval of the Central Government, the policy regarding the cadre structure, qualification, the method of recruitment and conditions of service of the teaching and research faculty as well as other employees of the Institute;
(e) guide resource mobililsation of the Institute and to lay down policies for utilisation;
(f) consider and approve proposals for taking loans for purposes of the Institute with or without the security of the property of the Institute;
(g) make Statutes and to alter, modify or rescind the same;
(h) consider and pass resolutions on annual report, annual accounts and the budget estimates of the Institutes for the next financial year as it thinks fit together with a statement of its development plans; and
(i) do all such things, not specifically covered under clauses (a) to (h), as may be necessary, incidental or conductive to the attainment of all or any of the powers under this section.
(3) The Executive Council shall have the power to appoint such committees as it considers necessary for the exercise of its powers and the performance of its duties under this Act.
(4) The Executive Council may, by a specific resolution to this effect, delegate any of its powers and duties to the Chairperson, Director, any officer or any authority of the Institute subject to reserving the right to review the action that may be taken under such delegated authority
Title: Academic Council
(1) The Academic Council shall be the principal academic body of the Institute and shall, subject to the provisions of this Act, the Statutes and the Ordinances, co-ordinate and exercise general supervision over the academic policies of the Institute.
(2) The Academic Council shall consist of the following, namely:--
(a) Director-Chairman ex officio;
(b) one head of an academic institution of national importance to be nominated by the Chairperson;
(c) one Director from any of the Indian Institute of Technology or the Indian Institute of Management to be nominated by the Chairperson;
(d) Member in-charge of Youth Affairs in the Planning Commission of India ex officio;
(e) one person from any international non-governmental organisation working in India in the field of youth work to be nominated by the Chairperson;
(f) two representatives from the non-governmental industrial sector to be nominated by the Chairperson;
(g) one Professor from the Institute, on rotation basis;
(h) Director of the Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration, Mussorie, ex officio;
(i) two persons from non-governmental organisations working in the field of youth and adolescent development out of whom one person shall be from the north-eastern region, to be nominated by the Chairperson;
(j) two students of the Institute out of whom one student shall be female;
(k) three eminent academicians from among the fields of Social Science, Health Science, Agricultural Science, Skill Development, Management and Law to be nominated by the Chairperson;
(l) one woman representative from the International Development Organisation to be nominated by the Chairperson;
(m) an officer not below the rank of Joint Secretary to the Government of India dealing with the affairs of the Institute in the Union Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, ex officio.
(3) The term of office of members of the Academic Council and its powers shall be such as may be provided by the Statutes.
(4) While nominating the members of the Academic Council due representation shall be given to women (by including at least four women), from different regions of the country, weaker sections of the community and differently abled persons.