Section 1 in The Rajiv Gandhi National Institute of Youth Development Act, 2012
Title: Short title, extent and commencement.
(1) This Act may be called the Rajiv Gandhi National Institute of Youth Development Act, 2012.
(2) It shall come into force on such date1 as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint.
1.19th November, 2012, vide notification No. S.O. 2747(E), dated 19th November, 2012, see Gazette of India, Extraordinary, Part II, sec. 3(ii).
Title: Declaration of Rajiv Gandhi National Institute of Youth Development as an institution of national importance
Whereas the objects of the institution known as the Rajiv Gandhi National Institute of Youth Development are such as to make the institution one of national importance, it is hereby declared that the institution known as the Rajiv Gandhi National Institute of Youth Development is an institution of national importance.
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires,--
(a) "Academic Council" means the Academic Council of the Institute;
(b) "appointed day" means the date appointed under sub-section (2) of section 1 for coming into force of this Act;
(c) "Chairperson" means a Chairperson to the Executive Council referred to in clause (a) of sub-section (2) of section 12;
(d) "Director" means the Director of the Institute referred to in clause (a) of section 21;
(e) "Executive Council" means the Executive Council of the Institute established under section 12;
(f) "existing Institute" means the Rajiv Gandhi National Institute of Youth Development, Sriperumbudur, established under the provisions of the Society Registration Act, 1860 (21 of 1860) and declared as deemed to be a University under section 3 of the University Grants Commission Act, 1956 (3 of 1956), and which is in existence immediately before the commencement of this Act;
(g) "Fund" means the fund of the Institute to be maintained under section 26;
(h) "Institute" means the Rajiv Gandhi National Institute of Youth Development incorporated under section 4;
(i) "notification" means the notification published in the Official Gazette;
(j) "prescribed" means prescribed by rules made under this Act;
(k) "Registrar" means the Registrar of the Institute referred to in section 23;
(l) "Statutes" and "Ordinances" mean the Statutes and Ordinances of the Institute made under this Act
Title: Incorporation of Institute
(1) The Rajiv Gandhi National Institute of Youth Development shall be a body corporate having perpetual succession and a common seal with power, subject to the provisions of this Act, to acquire, hold and dispose of property and to contract, and shall, by that name, sue and be sued.
(2) The first Chairperson, the first Director and the first members of the Executive Council and the Academic Council, and all persons who may hereafter become such officers or members, so long as they continue to hold such office or membership, shall constitute the Institute.
(3) The headquarters of the Institute shall be in the district of Kanchipuram, in the State of Tamil Nadu.
(4) The Institute may establish and maintain centres at such other places in India as it may deem fit
Title: Effect of establishment of Institute
On and from the appointed day and subject to other provisions of this Act,—
(a) any reference to the existing Institute in any contract or other instrument shall be deemed as a reference to the Institute;
(b) all property, movable and immovable, of or belonging to the existing Institute shall vest in the Institute;
(c) all rights and liabilities of the existing Institute shall be transferred to, and be the rights and liabilities of, the Institute; and
(d) every person employed by the existing Institute immediately before the appointed day shall hold office or service in the Institute by the same tenure, at the same remuneration and upon the same terms and conditions and with the same rights and privileges as to pension, leave, gratuity, provident fund and other matters as he would have held the same if this Act had not been passed, and shall continue to do so unless and until his employment is terminated or until such tenure, remuneration and terms and conditions are duly altered by the Statutes:
Provided that if the alteration so made is not acceptable to such employee, his employment may be terminated by the Institute in accordance with the terms of the contract with the employee or, if no provision is made therein in this behalf, on payment to him by the Institute a compensation equivalent to three months' remuneration in the case of permanent employees and one month's remuneration in the case of other employees