Section 160 in Motor Vehicles Act
Title: Duty to furnish particulars of vehicle involved in accident
A registering authority or the officer in charge of a police station shall, if so required by a person who alleges that he is entitled to claim compensation in respect of an accident arising out of the use of a motor vehicle, or if so required by an insurer against whom a claim has been made in respect of any motor vehicle, furnish to that person or to that insurer, as the case may be, on payment of the prescribed fee any information at the disposal of the said authority or the said authority or the said police officer relating to the identification marks and other particulars of the vehicle and the name and address of the person who was using the vehicle at the time of the accident or was injured by it and the property, if any damaged in such form and within such time as the Central Government may prescribe.
Title: Special provisions as to compensation in case of hit and run motor accident
(1) For the purposes of this section, section 162 and section 163--
(a) "grievous hurt" shall have the same meaning as in the Indian Penal Code (45 of 1860);
(b) "hit and run motor accident" means an accident arising out of the use of a motor vehicle or motor vehicles the identity whereof cannot be ascertained in spite of reasonable efforts for the purpose;
(c) "scheme" means the scheme framed under section 163.
(2) Notwithstanding anything contained in the General Insurance Business (Nationalisation) Act, 1972 (57 of 1972) or any other law for the time being in force or any instrument having the force of law, the General Insurance Corporation of India formed under section 9 of the said Act and the insurance companies for the time being carrying on general insurance business in India shall provide for paying in accordance with the provisions of this Act and the scheme, compensation in respect of the death of, or grievous hurt to, persons resulting from hit and run motor accidents.
(3) Subject to the provisions of this Act and the scheme, there shall be paid as compensation--
(a) in respect of the death of any person resulting from a hit and run motor accident, a fixed sum of 1 [twenty-five thousand rupees];
(b) in respect of grievous hurt to any person resulting from a hit and run motor accident, a fixed sum of 2 [twelve thousand and five hundred rupees].
(4) The provisions of sub-section (1) of section 166 shall apply for the purpose of making applications for compensation under this section as they apply for the purpose of making applications for compensation referred to in that sub-section
1. Subs. by Act 54 of 1994, s. 50, for "eight thousand and five hundred rupees" (w.e.f. 14-11-1994).
2. Subs. by s. 50, ibid., for "two thousand rupees" (w.e.f. 14-11-1994).
Title: Refund in certain cases of compensation paid under section 161
(1) The payment of compensation in respect of the death of, or grievous hurt to, any person under section 161 shall be subject to the condition that if any compensation (hereafter in this sub-section referred to as the other compensation) or other amount in lieu of or by way of satisfaction of a claim for compensation is awarded or paid in respect of such death or grievous hurt under any other provision of this Act or any other law or otherwise so much of the other compensation or other amount aforesaid as is equal to the compensation paid under section 161 shall be refunded to the insurer.
(2) Before awarding compensation in respect of an accident involving the death of, or bodily injury to, any person arising out of the use of a motor vehicle or motor vehicles under any provision of this Act (other than section 161) or any other law, the tribunal, court or other authority awarding such compensation shall verify as to whether in respect of such death or bodily injury compensation has already been paid under section 161 or an application for payment of compensation is pending under that section, and such tribunal, court or other authority shall,--
(a) if compensation has already been paid under section 161, direct the person liable to pay the compensation awarded by it to refund to the insurer, so much thereof as is required to be refunded in accordance with the provisions of sub-section (1);
(b) if an application for payment of compensation is pending under section 161 forward the particulars as to the compensation awarded by it to the insurer.
Explanation.--For the purposes of this sub-section, an application for compensation under section 161 shall be deemed to be pending--
(i) if such application has been rejected, till the date of the rejection of the application, and
(ii) in any other case, till the date of payment of compensation in pursuance of the application.
Title: Scheme for payment of compensation in case of hit and run motor accidents
(1) The Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, make a scheme specifying, the manner in which the scheme shall be administered by the General Insurance Corporation, the form, manner and the time within which applications for compensation may be made, the officers or authorities to whom such applications may be made, the procedure to be followed by such officers or authorities for considering and passing orders on such applications, and all other matters connected with, or incidental to, the administration of the scheme and the payment of compensation.
(2) A scheme made under sub-section (1) may provide that
(a) a contravention of any provision thereof shall be punishable with imprisonment for such term as may be specified but in no case exceeding three months, or with fine which may extend to such amount as may be specified but in no case exceeding five hundred rupees or with both;
(b) the powers, functions or duties conferred or imposed on any officer or authority by such scheme may be delegated with the prior approval in writing of the Central Government, by such officer or authority to any other officer or authority;
(c) any provision of such scheme may operate with retrospective effect from a date not earlier than the date of establishment of the Solatium Fund under the Motor Vehicles Act, 1939 (4 of 1939), as it stood immediately before the commencement of this Act:
Provided that no such retrospective effect shall be given so as to prejudicially affect the interests of any person who may be governed by such provision
Title: Special provisions as to payment of compensation on structured formula basis
1 [163A. Special provisions as to payment of compensation on structured formula basis.--(1) Notwithstanding anything contained in this Act or in any other law for the time being in force or instrument having the force of law, the owner of the motor vehicle of the authorised insurer shall be liable to pay in the case of death or permanent disablement due to accident arising out of the use of motor vehicle, compensation, as indicated in the Second Schedule, to the legal heirs or the victim, as the case may be.
Explanation.--For the purposes of this sub-section, "permanent disability" shall have the same meaning and extent as in the Workmen's Compensation Act, 1923 (8 of 1923)
(2) In any claim for compensation under sub-section (1), the claimant shall not be required to plead or establish that the death or permanent disablement in respect of which the claim has been made was due to any wrongful act or neglect or default of the owner of the vehicle or vehicles concerned or of any other person.
(3) The Central Government may, keeping in view the cost of living by notification in the Official Gazette, from time to time amend the Second Schedule.]
1. Ins. by Act 54 of 1994, s. 51 (w.e.f. 14-11-1994).