Section 153 in Motor Vehicles Act
Title: Saving in respect of sections 150 151 and 152
(1) For the purposes of sections 150, 151 and 152 a reference to "liabilities to third parties" in relation to a person insured under any policy of insurance shall not include a reference to any liability of that person in the capacity of insurer under some other policy of insurance.
(2) The provisions of sections 150, 151 and 152 shall not apply where a company is wound up voluntarily merely for the purposes of reconstruction or of an amalgamation with another company.
Title: Insolvency of insured persons not to affect liability of insured or claims by third parties
Where a certificate of insurance has been issued to the person by whom a policy has been effected, the happening in relation to any person insured by the policy of any such event as is mentioned in sub-section (1) or sub-section (2) of section 150 shall, notwithstanding anything contained in this Chapter, not affect any liability of that person of the nature referred to in clause (b) of sub-section (1) of section 147; but nothing in this section shall affect any rights against the insurer conferred under the provisions of sections 150, 151 and 152 on the person to whom the liability was incurred.
Title: Effect of death on certain causes of action
Notwithstanding anything contained in section 306 of the Indian Succession Act, 1925 (39 of 1925), the death of a person in whose favour a certificate of insurance had been issued, if it occurs after the happening of an event which has given rise to a claim under the provisions of this Chapter, shall not be a bar to the survival of any cause of action arising out of the said event against his estate or against the insurer
Title: Effect of certificate of insurance
When an insurer has issued a certificate of insurance in respect of a contract of insurance between the insurer and the insured person, then--
(a) if and so long as the policy described in the certificate has not been issued by the insurer to the insured, the insurer shall, as between himself and any other person except the insured, be deemed to have issued to the insured to the insured person a policy of insurance conforming in all respects with the description and particulars stated in such certificate; and
(b) if the insurer has issued to the insured the policy described in the certificate, but the actual terms of the policy are less favourable to persons claiming under or by virtue of the policy against the insurer either directly or through the insured than the particulars of the policy as stated in the certificate, the policy shall, as between the insurer and any other person except the insured, be deemed to be in terms conforming in all respects with the particulars stated in the said certificate.
Title: Transfer of certificate of insurance
(1) Where a person in whose favour the certificate of insurance has been issued in accordance with the provisions of this Chapter transfers to another person the ownership of the motor vehicle in respect of which such insurance was taken together with the policy of insurance relating thereto, the certificate of insurance and the policy described in the certificate shall be deemed to have been transferred in favour of the person to whom the motor vehicle is transferred with effect from the date of its transfer.
1 [Explanation.--For the removal of doubts, it is hereby declared that such deemed transfer shall include transfer of rights and liabilities of the said certificate of insurance and policy of insurance.]
(2) The transferee shall apply within fourteen days from the date of transfer in the prescribed form to the insurer for making necessary changes in regard to the fact of transfer in the certificate of insurance and the policy described in the certificate in his favour and the insurer shall make the necessary changes in the certificate and the policy of insurance in regard to the transfer of insurance.
1. Ins. by Act 54 of 1994, s. 48 (w.e.f. 14-11-1994).