Section 125 in The Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, 2016
Title: Appointment of insolvency professional as bankruptcy trustee.
(1) If an insolvency professional is proposed as the bankruptcy trustee in the application for bankruptcy under section 122 or section 123, the Adjudicating Authority shall direct the Board within seven days of receiving the application for bankruptcy to confirm that there are no disciplinary proceedings pending against such professional.
(2) The Board shall within ten days of the receipt of the direction under sub-section (1) in writing either—
(a) confirm the appointment of the proposed insolvency professional as the bankruptcy trustee for the bankruptcy process; or
(b) reject the appointment of the proposed insolvency professional as the bankruptcy trustee and nominate another bankruptcy trustee for the bankruptcy process.
(3) Where a bankruptcy trustee is not proposed by the debtor or creditor under section 122 or 123, the Adjudicating Authority shall direct the Board within seven days of receiving the application to nominate a bankruptcy trustee for the bankruptcy process.
(4) The Board shall nominate a bankruptcy trustee within ten days of receiving the direction of the Adjudicating Authority under sub-section (3).
(5) The bankruptcy trustee confirmed or nominated under this section shall be appointed as the bankruptcy trustee by the Adjudicating Authority in the bankruptcy order under section 126
Title: Bankruptcy order.
(1) The Adjudicating Authority shall pass a bankruptcy order within fourteen days of receiving the confirmation or nomination of the bankruptcy trustee under section 125.
(2) The Adjudicating Authority shall provide the following documents to bankrupt, creditors and the bankruptcy trustee within seven days of the passing of the bankruptcy order, namely:—
(a) a copy of the application for bankruptcy; and
(b) a copy of the bankruptcy order.
Title: Validity of bankruptcy order.
The bankruptcy order passed by the Adjudicating Authority under section 126 shall continue to have effect till the debtor is discharged under section 138.
Title: Effect of bankruptcy order.
(1) On the passing of the bankruptcy order under section 126,—
(a) the estate of the bankrupt shall vest in the bankruptcy trustee as provided in section 154;
(b) the estate of the bankrupt shall be divided among his creditors;
(c) subject to provisions of sub-section (2), a creditor of the bankrupt indebted in respect of any debt claimed as a bankruptcy debt shall not—
(i) initiate any action against the property of the bankrupt in respect of such debt; or
(ii) commence any suit or other legal proceedings except with the leave of the Adjudicating Authority and on such terms as the Adjudicating Authority may impose.
(2) Subject to the provisions of section 123, the bankruptcy order shall not affect the right of any secured creditor to realise or otherwise deal with his security interest in the same manner as he would have been entitled if the bankruptcy order had not been passed:
Provided that no secured creditor shall be entitled to any interest in respect of his debt after the bankruptcy commencement date if he does not take any action to realise his security within thirty days from the said date.
(3) Where a bankruptcy order under section 126 has been passed against a firm, the order shall operate as if it were a bankruptcy order made against each of the individuals who, on the date of the order, is a partner in the firm.
(4) The provisions of sub-section (1) shall not apply to such transactions as may be notified by the Central Government in consultation with any financial sector regulator.
Title: Statement of financial position.
(1) Where a bankruptcy order is passed on the application for bankruptcy by a creditor under section 123, the bankrupt shall submit his statement of financial position to the bankruptcy trustee within seven days from the bankruptcy commencement date.
(2) The statement of financial position shall be submitted in such form and manner as may be prescribed.
(3) Where the bankrupt is a firm, its partners on the date of the order shall submit a joint statement of financial position of the firm, and each partner of the firm shall submit a statement of his financial position.
(4) The bankruptcy trustee may require the bankrupt or any other person to submit in writing further information explaining or modifying any matter contained in the statement of financial position.