Section 78 in The Right to Fair Compensation and Transparency in Land Acquisition, Rehabilitation and Resettlement Act, 2013
Title: Investment of money deposited in respect of lands belonging to person incompetent to alienate
(1) If any money is deposited in the Authority concerned under sub-section (2) of section 77 and it appears that the land in respect whereof the same was awarded belonged to any person who had no power to alienate the same, the Authority concerned shall—
(a) order the money to be invested in the purchase of other lands to be held under the like title and conditions of ownership as the land in respect of which such money shall have been deposited was held; or
(b) if such purchase cannot be effected forthwith, then in such Government of other approved securities as the Authority concerned shall think fit,
and shall direct the payment of the interest or other proceeds arising from such investment to the person or persons who would for the time being have been entitled to the possession of the said land, and such moneys shall remain so deposited and invested until the same be applied—
(i) in the purchase of such other lands as aforesaid; or
(ii) in payment to any person or persons becoming absolutely entitled thereto.
(2) In all cases of money deposited to which this section applies the Authority concerned shall order the costs of the following matters, including therein all reasonable charge and expenses incident thereon, to be paid by the Collector, namely:--
(a) the costs of such investments as aforesaid;
(b) the costs of the orders for the payment of the interest or other proceeds of the securities upon which such moneys are for the time being invested, and for the payment out of the Authority concerned of the principal of such moneys, and of all proceedings relating thereto, except such as may be occasioned by litigation between adverse claimants.
Title: Investment of money deposited in other cases.
When any money shall have been deposited in the Authority concerned under this Act for any cause other than the causes mentioned in section 78, the Authority may, on the application of any party interested or claiming an interest in such money, order the same to be invested in such Government or other approved securities as it may think proper, and paid in such manner as it may consider will give the parties interested therein the same benefit from it as they might have had from the land in respect whereof such money shall have been deposited or as near thereto as may be.
Title: Payment of interest.
When the amount of such compensation is not paid or deposited on or before taking possession of the land, the Collector shall pay the amount awarded with interest thereon at the rate of nine per cent. per annum from the time of so taking possession until it shall have been so paid or deposited:
Provided that if such compensation or any part thereof is not paid or deposited within a period of one year from the date on which possession is taken, interest at the rate of fifteen per cent. per annum shall be payable from the date or expiry of the said period of one year on the amount of compensation or part thereof which has not been paid or deposited before the date of such expiry.
Title: Temporary occupation of waste or arable land, procedure when difference as to compensation exists
(1) Whenever it appears to the appropriate Government that the temporary occupation and use of any waste or arable land are needed for any public purpose, the appropriate Government may direct the Collector to procure the occupation and use of the same for such terms as it shall think fit, not exceeding three years from the commencement of such occupation.
(2) The Collector shall thereupon give notice in writing to the person interested in such land of the purpose for which the same is needed, and shall, for the occupation and use thereof for such term as aforesaid, and for the materials (if any) to be taken therefrom, pay to them such compensation, either in a gross sum of money, or by monthly or other periodical payments, as shall be agreed upon in writing between him and such persons respectively.
(3) In case the Collector and the persons interested differ as to the sufficiency of the compensation or apportionment thereof, the Collector shall refer such difference to the decision of the Authority.
Title: Power to enter and take possession and compensation on restoration.
(1) On payment of such compensation, or on executing such agreement, or on making a reference under section 64, the Collector may enter upon and take possession of the land, and use or permit the use thereof in accordance with the terms of the said notice.
(2) On the expiration of the term, the Collector shall make or tender to the persons interested compensation for the damage (if any) done to the land and not provided for by the agreement, and shall restore the land to the persons interested therein:
Provided that, if the land has become permanently unfit to be used for the purpose for which it was used immediately before the commencement of such term, and if the persons interested shall so require, the appropriate Government shall proceed under this Act to acquire the land as if it was needed permanently for a public purpose.