Section 28 in The Prohibition of Employment as Manual Scavengers and their Rehabilitation Act, 2013
Title: Duty of States or Union territories to send periodic reports to the Central Government.
Every State or Union territory Government and Union territory administration shall send such periodic reports to the Central Government about progress of implementation of this Act, as the Central Government may require.
Title: Central Monitoring Committee.
(1) The Central Government shall, by notification, constitute a Central Monitoring Committee in accordance with the provisions of this section.
(2) The Central Monitoring Committee shall consist of the following members, namely:—
(a) The Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment—Chairperson, ex officio;
(b) Chairperson of the National Commission for Scheduled Castes—member, ex officio;
(c) Minister of State in the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment—member, ex officio;
(d) Chairperson, National Commission for Safai Karamcharis—member, ex officio;
(e) the Member of the Planning Commission dealing with development of the Scheduled Castes— member, ex officio;
(f) three elected members of Parliament belonging to Scheduled Castes, two from the Lok Sabha and one from the Rajya Sabha;
(g) Secretaries of the Ministries of,—
(i) Social Justice and Empowerment, Department of Social Justice and Empowerment;
(ii) Urban Development;
(iii) Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation;
(iv) Drinking Water and Sanitation;
(v) Panchayati Raj;
(vi) Finance, Department of Financial Services; and
members, ex officio;
(h) Chairman, Railway Board—member, ex officio;
(i) Director-General, Defence Estates—member, ex officio;
(j) representatives of not less than six State Governments and one Union territory, as the Central Government may, notify;
(k) not more than six social workers belonging to organisation working for the prohibition of manual scavenging and rehabilitation of manual scavengers, or, representing the scavenger community, resident in the country, to be nominated by the Chairperson, two of whom shall be women;
(l) Joint Secretary, Department of Social Justice and Empowerment in the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, looking after development of Scheduled Castes—Member-Secretary, ex officio;
(m) such other representatives of Central Ministries or Departments and agencies which, in the opinion of the Chairperson, are concerned with the implementation of this Act.
(3) The Central Monitoring Committee shall meet at least once in every six months.
Title: Functions of the Central Monitoring Committee
The functions of the Central Monitoring Committee shall be,—
(a) to monitor and advise the Central Government and State Government for effective implementation of this Act and related laws and programmes;
(b) to co-ordinate the functions of all concerned agencies;
(c) to look into any other matter incidental to or connected with implementation of this Act.
Title: Functions of National Commission for Safai Karamcharis.
(1) The National Commission for Safai Karamcharis shall perform the following functions, namely:—
(a) to monitor the implementation of this Act;
(b) to enquire into complaints regarding contravention of the provisions of this Act, and to convey its findings to the concerned authorities with recommendations requiring further action; and
(c) to advise the Central and the State Governments for effective implementation of the provisions of this Act.
(d) to take suo motu notice of matter relating to non-implementation of this Act.
(2) In the discharge of its functions under sub-section (1), the National Commission shall have the power to call for information with respect to any matter specified in that sub-section from any Government or local or other authority
Title: Power of State Government to designate an appropriate authority to monitor the implementation of this Act.
(1) The State Government may, by notification, designate a State Commission for Safai Karamcharis or a State Commission for the Scheduled Castes or such other statutory or other authority, as it deems fit, to perform, within the State, mutatis mutandis, the functions specified in sub-section (1) of section 31.
(2) An authority designated under sub-section (1) shall, within the State, have, mutatis mutandis, the powers of the National Commission for Safai Karamcharis as specified in sub-section (2) of section 31.