Section 8 in The Prohibition of Employment as Manual Scavengers and their Rehabilitation Act, 2013
Title: Penalty for contravention of section 5 or section 6
Whoever contravenes the provisions of section 5 or section 6 shall for the first contravention be punishable with imprisonment for a term which may extend to one year or with fine which may extend to fifty thousand rupees or with both, and for any subsequent contravention with imprisonment which may extend to two years or with fine which may extend to one lakh rupees, or with both.
Title: Penalty for contravention of section 7.
Whoever contravenes the provisions of section 7 shall for the first contravention be punishable with imprisonment for a term which may extend to two years or with fine which may extend to two lakh rupees or with both, and for any subsequent contravention with imprisonment which may extend to five years or with fine which may extend to five lakh rupees, or with both.
Title: Limitation of prosecution.
No court shall take cognizance of any offence punishable under this Act except upon a complaint thereof is made by a person in this behalf within three months from the date of the occurrence of the alleged commission of the offence.
Title: Survey of manual scavengers in urban areas by Municipalities.
(1) If any Municipality has reason to believe that some persons are engaged or employed in manual scavenging within its jurisdiction, the Chief Executive Officer of such Municipality shall cause a survey to be undertaken to identify such persons.
(2) The content and methodology of the survey referred to in sub-section (1) shall be such as may be prescribed, and it shall be completed within a period of two months from its commencement in the case of Municipal Corporations, and within a period of one month in the case of other Municipalities.
(3) The Chief Executive Officer of the Municipality, in whose jurisdiction the survey is undertaken, shall be responsible for accurate and timely completion of the survey.
(4) After completion of the survey, the Chief Executive Officer shall cause to be drawn up a provisional list of persons found to be working as manual scavengers within the jurisdiction of his Municipality and fulfilling the eligibility conditions as may be prescribed, shall cause such provisional list to be published for general information in such manner, as may be prescribed, and shall invite objections to the list from the general public.
(5) Any person having any objection, either to the inclusion or exclusion of any name in the provisional list published in pursuance of sub-section (4), shall, within a period of fifteen days from such publication, file an objection, in such form as the Municipality may notify, to the Chief Executive Officer.
(6) All objections received in pursuance of sub-section (5), shall be enquired into, and thereafter a final list of persons found to be working as manual scavengers within the local limits of the municipality, shall be published by it in such manner, as may be prescribed.
(7) As soon as the final list of manual scavengers, referred to in sub-section (6) is published, the persons included in the said list shall, subject to the provisions of sub-section (2) of section 6, stand discharged from any obligation to work as manual scavengers.
Title: Application by an urban manual scavenger for identification.
(1) Any person working as a manual scavenger in an urban area, may, either during the survey undertaken by the Municipality in pursuance of section 11, within whose jurisdiction he works, or at any time thereafter, apply, in such manner, as may be prescribed, to the Chief Executive Officer of the Municipality, or to any other officer authorised by him in this behalf, for being identified as a manual scavenger.
(2) On receipt of an application under sub-section (1), the Chief Executive Officer shall cause it to be enquired into, either as part of the survey undertaken under section 11, or, when no such survey is in progress, within fifteen days of receipt of such application, to ascertain whether the applicant is a manual scavenger.
(3) If an application is received under sub-section (1) when a survey under section 11is not in progress, and is found to be true after enquiry in accordance with sub-section (2),action shall be taken to add the name of such a person to the final list published under sub-section (6) of section 11, and the consequences mentioned in sub-section (7) thereof shall follow