Section 82 in Motor Vehicles Act
Title: Transfer of permit
(1) Save as provided in sub-section (2), a permit shall not be transferable from one person to another except with the permission of the transport authority which granted the permit and shall not, without such permission, operate to confer on any person to whom a vehicle covered by the permit is transferred any right to use that vehicle in the manner authorised by the permit.
(2) Where the holder of a permit dies, the person succeeding to the possession of the vehicle covered by the permit may, for a period of three months, use the permit as if it had been granted to himself:
Provided that such person has, within thirty days of the death of the holder, informed the transport authority which granted the permit of the death of the holder and of his own intention to use the permit:
Provided further that no permit shall be so used after the date on which it would have ceased to be effective without renewal in the hands of the deceased holder.
(3) The transport authority may, on application made to it within three months of the death of the holder of a permit, transfer the permit to the person succeeding to the possession of the vehicles covered by the permit:
Provided that the transport authority may entertain an application made after the expiry of the said period of three months if it is satisfied that the applicant was prevented by good and sufficient cause from making an application within the time specified.
Title: Replacement of vehicles
The holder of a permit may, with the permission of the authority by which the permit was granted, replace any vehicle covered by the permit by any other vehicle of the same nature
Title: General conditions attaching to all permits
The following shall be conditions of every permit-(a) that the vehicle to which the permit relates carries valid certificate of fitness issued under section 56 and is at all times so maintained as to comply with the requirements of this Act and the rules made thereunder;
(b) that the vehicle to which the permit relates is not driven at a speed exceeding the speed permitted under this Act;
(c) that any prohibition or restriction imposed and any fares or freight fixed by notification made under section 67 are observed in connection with the vehicle to which the permit relates;
(d) that the vehicle to which the permit relates is not driven in contravention of the provisions of section 5 or section 113;
(e) that the provisions of this Act limiting the hours of work of drivers are observed in connection with any vehicle or vehicles to which the permit relates;
(f) that the provisions of Chapters X, XI and XII so far as they apply to the holder of the permit are observed; and
(g) that the name and address of the operator shall be painted or otherwise firmly affixed to every vehicle to which the permit relates on the exterior of the body of that vehicle on both sides thereof in a colour or colours vividly contrasting to the colour of the vehicle centered as high as practicable below the window line in bold letters.
Title: General form of permits
Every permit issued under this Act shall be complete in itself and shall contain all the necessary particulars of the permit and the conditions attached thereto.
Title: Cancellation and suspension of permits
(1) The transport authority which granted a permit may cancel the permit or may suspend it for such period as it thinks fit--
(a) on the breach of any condition specified in section 84 or of any condition contained in the permit, or
(b) if the holder of the permit uses or causes or allows a vehicle to be used in any manner not authorised by the permit, or
(c) if the holder of the permit ceases to own the vehicle covered by the permit, or
(d) if the holder of the permit has obtained the permit by fraud or misrepresentation, or
(e) if the holder of the goods carriage permit, fails without reasonable cause, to use the vehicle for the purposes for which the permit was granted, or
(f) if the holder of the permit acquires the citizenship of any foreign country:
Provided that no permit shall be suspended or cancelled unless an opportunity has been given to the holder of the permit to furnish his explanation.
(2) The transport authority may exercise the powers conferred on it under sub-section (1) in relation to a permit granted by any authority or person to whom power in this behalf has been delegated under sub-section (5) of section 68 as if the said permit was a permit granted by the transport authority.
(3) Where a transport authority cancels or suspends a permit, it shall give to the holder in writing its reasons for the action taken.
(4) The powers exercisable under sub-section (1) (other than the power to cancel a permit) by the transport authority which granted the permit may be exercised by any authority or person to whom such powers have been delegated under sub-section (5) of section 68.
(5) Where a permit is liable to be cancelled or suspended under clause (a) or clause (b) or clause (e) of sub-section (1) and the transport authority is of opinion that having regard to the circumstances of the case, it would not be necessary or expedient so to cancel or suspend the permit if the holder of the permit agrees to pay a certain sum of money, then, notwithstanding anything contained in sub-section (1), the transport authority may, instead of cancelling or suspending the permit, as the case may be, recover from the holder of the permit the sum of money agreed upon.
(6) The powers exercisable by the transport authority under sub-section (5) may, where an appeal has been preferred under section 89, be exercised also by the appellate authority.
(7) In relation to a permit referred to in sub-section (9) of section 88, the powers exercisable under sub-section (1) (other than the power to cancel a permit) by the transport authority which granted the permit, may be exercised by any transport authority and any authority or persons to whom power in this behalf has been delegated under sub-section (5) of section 68, as if the said permit was a permit granted by any such authority or persons.