Section 25 in The National Food Security Act, 2013
Title: Implementation of Targeted Public Distribution System by local authority in their areas.
(1) The local authorities shall be responsible for the proper implementation of this Act in their respective areas.
(2) Without prejudice to sub-section (1), the State Government may assign, by notification, additional responsibilities for implementation of the Targeted Public Distribution System to the local authority.
Title: Obligations of local authority.
In implementing different schemes of the Ministries and Departments of the Central Government and the State Governments, prepared to implement provisions of this Act, the local authorities shall be responsible for discharging such duties and responsibilities as may be assigned to them, by notification, by the respective State Governments.
Title: Disclosure of records of Targeted Public Distribution System.
All Targeted Public Distribution System related records shall be placed in the public domain and kept open for inspection to the public, in such manner as may be prescribed by the State Government.
Title: Conduct of social audit.
(1) Every local authority, or any other authority or body, as may be authorised by the State Government, shall conduct or cause to be conducted, periodic social audits on the functioning of fair price shops, Targeted Public Distribution System and other welfare schemes, and cause to publicise its findings and take necessary action, in such manner as may be prescribed by the State Government.
(2) The Central Government may, if it considers necessary, conduct or cause to be conducted social audit through independent agencies having experience in conduct of such audits.
Title: Setting up of Vigilance Committees.
(1) For ensuring transparency and proper functioning of the Targeted Public Distribution System and accountability of the functionaries in such system, every State Government shall set up Vigilance Committees as specified in the Public Distribution System (Control) Order, 2001, made under the Essential Commodities Act, 1955 (10 of 1955), as amended from time to time, at the State, District, Block and fair price shop levels consisting of such persons, as may be prescribed by the State Government giving due representation to the local authorities, the Scheduled Castes, the Scheduled Tribes, women and destitute persons or persons with disability.
(2) The Vigilance Committees shall perform the following functions, namely:—
(a) regularly supervise the implementation of all schemes under this Act;
(b) inform the District Grievance Redressal Officer, in writing, of any violation of the provisions of this Act; and
(c) inform the District Grievance Redressal Officer, in writing, of any malpractice or misappropriation of funds found by it.